Yeats (and The Gold Cup)

What a legend :<3: and a great achievement.

Didn't see the race as was working but they announced it on the instore radio news bulletin at about 4 o'clock - really made my day especially as they never put the racing results on. They even mentioned it again on the next two news bulletins which, in our place, is completely unheard of.

A great day for racing.

Suitably high ratings? Great achievement that it was today, it's hard to think Yeats is all of a sudden better than he was for any of his first 3 victories and Geordieland was given a hopeless ride. Patkai showed there that he is better than he showed at Sandown, but not by the sort of distance the magins back to Geordieland today would suggest.

Well, taking an objective view of things ... Gladiatorus was given a very high rating for a large distance win in Dubai, where the approach taken was not to dismiss the possible high rating. Patkai clearly (to my untrained eyes anyway) ran his best race and improved considerably, and when you look at the distances back to those behind, you'd imagine this must be a career high rating for Yeats (not suggesting he should be acclaimed best horse in the world of course, though a mid - high 120s would be fair enough). Stayers should be able to earn high ratings too, and it's hard to imagine many better before or to come.

I think Yeats best (on RPRs) in the Gold Cup is 124, and he has a 126 from Goodwood also. Hard to think he's improved at this age, and that would put Patkai on a low 120 mark which would be up from his current 118. Seems about right to me.

I would love to see them give him a pop at the King George. Poor group of older horses, can set back one of their three year olds if they run them in it and I was really taken today with home he quickened off a slow enough pace today.

Magnier's interview about the confidence O'Brien was giving him that morning when walking the track was pretty revealing. O'Brien clearly felt the horse was as good if not better than ever.

I definitely do not see him being kept in training next year.

Last edited:
I'd agree about the King George idea. Nothing to lose, and he'll be clapped even if he didn't acquit himself very well. I think Conduit apart, there's nothing I'd say will definitely beat him.

I think he would be advertised higher than he might actually go for. Also not necessarily sure they would put him in their NH wing.....I am not sure they would treat him strictly as a commercial stallion like might have been the case if he was retired after one Gold Cup or after winning his Coronation Cup.

Presenting is around the €10k mark also so I can't see that they'd get many takers at €15-€18k. Admirable and lovely horse though he is, he's not going to appeal to flat breeders and NH breeders won't want to pay 50-75% higher than the likes of Presenting and Flemensfirth, arguably the most commercially popluar sires of the moment. I'd say around €10k would be a good starting point coming at it from that angle.

That said, I'd love to send a NH mare to Yeats and many would feel the same I'm sure.

Sorry Hamm, I misinterpreted your post. I thought when you said 'suitably high', it was as if you were inferring that his current rating was too low. Don't think there's much wrong with your untrained eyes anyway. We're all constantly retraining ourselves aren't we? ;-)

From The Times:

Yeats's place in the public's affections will be evident once more when he turns out in the Goodwood Cup, which is likely to mark his last start in Britain. Some clamoured for his immediate retirement but Magnier countered: “Why would you stop now with a horse that's enjoying himself as he did today? The people love seeing him and we love going racing with him.”

Connections will mull a possible fifth Gold Cup bid next year, but that looks unlikely. “He is an eight-year-old horse and we just want to do the right thing for him now,” Magnier said. “There comes a time when it's not right for them to go on anymore.”

It would be great if they let him try to win the treble this year and take in the Donny Cup too - Septimus will be back for the Irish Leger !

Thought Moore rode a stinker - allowed Yeats five lengths off the turn madness

yeats.gif_

It would be great if they let him try to win the treble this year and take in the Donny Cup too - Septimus will be back for the Irish Leger !

Thought Moore rode a stinker - allowed Yeats five lengths off the turn madness
It's was like seeing Lester kick for home at Tattenham corner Yeats had gears he was left for dead, only horse that had a chance went wrong Frankie had loomed up it was a great ride to stay that kool and win like that, I loved it

He looked fabulous, as always in parade ring, same old Yeats, tail like a helicopter to show his impatience to get on with it, :) and had a good look at the opposition then dismissed them.

Really feel privileged to have been able to be there today. Will go to Goodwood if he goes, but you know the saying .... he owes us nothing. :<3: I just need to go sleep and recover now, have no voice, drank too much and had to eat LOTs of chocolate to get through until his race, was a nervous wreck, even forgot to back FAREER was so ecstatic after Yeats won.

Thanks Galileo

Patkai ran a tremendous race and tried so hard to bridge the gap, and for a hundred yards or so I thought he was going to catch Yeats, but being stuck behind those horses on the bend when Murtagh was kicking on did for him. I dont think he intended to allow Yeats the ground Ardross more that he was stuck with nowhere to go for a while. Frustrating and felt a bit sorry for the horse that he tried so hard to make up the lost ground. I hope the effort doesnt bottom him.

Well done to Yeats. What price he sires a Derby winner at some stage?

Well done to Yeats. What price he sires a Derby winner at some stage?

I was thinking about that this afternoon. Considering Yeats will be 9 years old with maybe 12+ crops and competing against the likes of Galileo, Montjeu, High Chap., plus more etc for the same type of mares I would estimate a Derby or Oaks winner at some stage to be at least 100/1

Yes, you'd have to factor in the fact that he's going to be 9 when he starts covering and so has a more limited shelf life as a stallio.

But what a prospect - maybe he'll start a small trend for breeding staying Flat horses again. It's his battling qualities that you'd want passed on. In a very much smaller way, those are the qualties Songy passed on to both her colts as that's how she raced and it was why I wanted to breed from her, so if YEATS does the same with his get, we could see some wonderful racehorses appear in a few years time, Flat and NH.

Wouldn't you like to be able to send a quality mare wth a miling pedigree to him!

Back