Yeats (and The Gold Cup)

Good news about Veracity, I thought he had broke down.

Well done Yeats ..that last two furlongs seemed like an eternity.

I would say well done to Patkai backers as well (UG and Flame)....he is alot better than I thought he was...15 lengths clear of the third.

Great win. Well done Yeats backers.

A great training performance and some lovely scenes afterwards in the winners enclosure.

Murtagh rode him to perfection.

I didn't back him, but thought Patkai ran a great race, and looks nailed on for the next Gold Cup if Yeats calls it a day.

I would love them to retire Yeats after that.

I found O'Brien's references to Istabraq and the comparisons really touching.

I text a mate at Ascot, Patkai all being well go to Goodwood and then the Irish St Leger, he will also be added to the Prix De L'Arc De Triomphe at the next stage.

Retirement hopefully. Brilliant to hear him grind them into the dust again .

Marvellous - never thought i would see Sagaro's record broken . OK Yeats has never had to beat off horses of the quality of Buckskin , Crash Course and Bruni but to win this race four times especially after this spring is just wonderful and a terrific tribute to AOB's talents

Yeats Gold Cup winning times on similiar ground. Seems to be as good as ever today.

2006 4 mins 20.45 sec
2007 4 mins 20.78 sec
2008 4 mins 21.00 sec
2009 4 mins 20.73 sec

A victory for racing and Ascot made sure it would happen; did anyone see the board already had Yeats name on it? BBC also had some very interesting shots with Kelly and Osbourne with the latter looking such a prolonged figure and the ride doesnt make it look good either.

Regardless the horse was fantastic and doubt we'll ever see one like that again and well done to Aiden and everyone concernd!

Suitably high ratings? Great achievement that it was today, it's hard to think Yeats is all of a sudden better than he was for any of his first 3 victories and Geordieland was given a hopeless ride. Patkai showed there that he is better than he showed at Sandown, but not by the sort of distance the magins back to Geordieland today would suggest.

A victory for racing and Ascot made sure it would happen; did anyone see the board already had Yeats name on it? BBC also had some very interesting shots with Kelly and Osbourne with the latter looking such a prolonged figure and the ride doesnt make it look good either.

Regardless the horse was fantastic and doubt we'll ever see one like that again and well done to Aiden and everyone concernd!

I think you'll find its engraved via stencil and they have won for each horse and it only takes a minute to put on the plaque.

Agreed Gareth and that is why it is a shame none of the French stayers turned up - are they all soft ground dependent ?

Looks like bookies took it on the chin today

From Sportinglife

Looking ahead to 2010 and Hills can't separate Yeats and Patkai, bracketing them together on 5/1.

And other bookies were quick to salute Yeats' achievement, Ladbrokes' David Williams saying: "Yeats has cost the bookies more money than any horse in Royal Ascot history. They'll have to erect a statue but there's no way we can afford to pay for it now!

"When Yeats hit the front we heard the roar and our hearts sank. He was once again backed off the boards and there's not much more we can now do other than grit out teeth and salute a racing legend."

It was a similar story at Paddy Power with Paddy himself saying: "We've paid out about 1.5 million euros, but I've never been happier to do my dough.

"It's one of the worst results of the year but it was well worth it for all of us to see history being made.

"We're so far behind for the week it's incredible - we're going to have to come from about four furlongs back to catch the punters now.

"Yeats has probably left us with too much to do, but with a couple of days still to go we'll keep up the battle with a little prayer along the way!"

Back