Yeats (and The Gold Cup)

I'll have time to remount after Denmans refused at the second... ok we're gonna get told to get back to topic..

It isn't the most competitive Gold Cup . Wonder why all the French stayers are not coming .

Yeats will obviously win if he is back to his best but that run in the spring was an utter shocker and the vibes sound much more hopeful than confident . Have a feeling he will either win or bomb.

Patkai seems to be much better at Ascot than elsewhere but a gallop or too short or not - Geordieland beat him easily - then again they went very fast which would tend to expose a horse with a bit to work on . I can't have Geordieland - just too much of a bridle horse in a race of this nature.

Veracity would be a good ew hope but Godolphin horses are running like drains .

Too many negatives all round .

Tentatively - Patkai but hope I am wrong and Yeats wins.

Last edited:
I am happy to back Yates at 9/4 personally, a great price for a champion like him at this course. I cannot have Geordieland or Patkai in the same parish if Yates is anywhere near his best.

It has been a huge achievement to keep Yeats going this long given that he is still an entire and has never been an easy customer. Aidan O'Brien said last year that the time would probably come when the horse would lose interest in racing.

After such a non-performance at Navan wouldn't they have been keen to give him an outing in the Saval Beg if they felt he was ready to run respectably? Basically he is coming into this year's race without a prep.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not backing him this year.

Well, if YEATS does win - and I truly hope he does - Ascot will be the place to be all right! It would be a magnificent PR exercise for racing in any event and right now we need all the public interest and support we can get.

I think someone mentioned it before but I'm getting that feeling I all too successfully repressed before Istabraq's final outing.

I won't back against him though, just in case.

I think he is past it. 9/4 isn't big enough for me when you consider that his opposition are no mugs. Geordieland, Veracity and Patkai are all good stayers, so he won't have to regress too much to get beaten.

It reminds me more of Moscow Flyer's last Champion Chase.

Looks fantastic in the ring. Whatever happens on the track, well done to the Ballydoyle team for getting him here in such magnificent shape.

I hope he does it today,if it does get beaten I hope it's not Geordieland-Osbourne has got to be the most obnoxious person when on tv.How arrogant

Had a big ew on Patkai at 10s ante post, and had a saver ew on Sagara at 50s. Just feel Patkai's stamina is unsure, and if its a real stamina test Sagara will go well and shouldn't be 50/1.

However if Patkai can't win I would love Yeats to win, and make history.

Back