York Ebor Meeting

I know you won't welcome it but - pace and draw apart - I see no logical reason why it's "hard to come from the back" on flat,fair track such as York?

Yes, I understand the logic of your assertion, reet.

It's what makes the bias all the more remarkable, I reckon.

Free Wind really should have won. I'm loath to say she got a bad ride but I do think she was unnecessarily far back in the first furlong and thereafter through the race. The gaps didn't come when they needed to and she might still have overcome all that if they had opened for her. Frankie will probably just say she was unlucky but he was part of the bad luck.

From the ATR site:

[FONT=&quot]Dettori said: “She’s run a super race. I couldn’t get out when I wanted to so I had to wait an extra half a furlong. That meant James had all the momentum.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I got to him but I just wish I’d been able to get my filly rolling beforehand, that 9lb (weight for age concession) just took its toll in the end.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I just think the pocket I got stuck in cost me.”[/FONT]

From the ATR site:

[FONT=&quot]Dettori said: “She’s run a super race. I couldn’t get out when I wanted to so I had to wait an extra half a furlong. That meant James had all the momentum.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I got to him but I just wish I’d been able to get my filly rolling beforehand, that 9lb (weight for age concession) just took its toll in the end.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I just think the pocket I got stuck in cost me.”[/FONT]
He has also completely contradicted himself and what he said after the Juddmonte re. conceding weight!

On my phone so don't have access to my files but from memory there is definitely a pace bias on good ground over the shorter races in York - in favour of those who led or were prominent.
There was a bias toward the inside before it was verti-drained which led to front running being favoured,but that's historical and hasn't been the case for a while now.
Any bias below 7f is mythical rather than logical, in practice

In that same race Catch a Paddy is overpriced. He was 16s last night and his run just in front of Ramazan at the track in May is very good form. He was dropped to 6 in the big 3yo handicap also here the following month and although he was disappointing at Haydock subsequently he did miss the break that day. Only other position I have is Regional in an ew double with Olivia Moralda tomorrow.

I saw you'd said that and I know Moore said the same after the race, later backed up by O'Brien.

He ran to within 2lbs of my rating for him so if that was him below form then he must be a bit of a beast.

He might be, but at least we now know he can be vulnerable.

I think Gosden's comparison with Roberto and Brigadier Gerard has some substance. I've been arguing with the brother for 50 years about that result (he backed the winner) and the bio of the Brigadier claims he "coughed up a big lump of mucus" shortly after the race. I've always argued he was short of his best, even if the bare collateral form with the beaten horses suggested he did run to form - as it does, on my figures, with Paddington - but I do think on that kind of ground they just don't stop at York when they would at other tracks.

The next meeting should be very interesting.

Well, O'Brien said Continuous would need the run.

I treat most trainer/jockey comments with a pinch of salt but some I will take on board. What's the point in their telling the truth. They have their business interests to think about so they'll spout any shite that promotes them.

I know I do trust my figures. I know you don't and that's your prerogative.

What a huge, brave ride on Live in the Dream! All about speed and he had it in abundance. Hats off to Sean Kirrane and Adam West!

Yes, another case of a front runner not stopping.

I thought HP's rider was convinced the leader would stop. I was urging him to go faster through the race. I think she could/would have won off a stronger ride but the jockey knows her well enough.

Last edited:
Back