York Ebor Meeting

Just my view, but Jamie's well capable of delivering one on the line, particularly one with a class advantage.
Maybe I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses, but 6 places isn't bad insurance.

Equilateral is joint-top on my figures for this season's form and one I'd be reluctant to oppose.

Spencer can ride from the front, but will he?

My concern is that on good ground this season York has struck me as a front-runners' course. They're not stopping even when they go fast. Equilateral might just have the class to lay up in his comfort zone.

I've backed Charging Thunder a couple of times this summer based on my ratings and he's been very disappointing. Today he turns up in a £100k handicap at York (4.10) at 16/1 and I'm now thinking this was the plan all along. I do reckon if this is the plan he just wins but I've taken the best each-way terms and places just as a wee safety net. I thought of going mob-handed with smaller bets but decided instead to put all my eggs in this basket(-case :)).

(Each-way doubles with Alligator Alley/Nomadic Empire, the Clipper Logistics O'Meara runners and Get Shirty in the Ebor too.)

Last edited:
Best of luck DO.
Thought Bobsleigh in the last has a decent ew chance on better going today.
Amazing the dam never won off higher than 54 in a 44 race career but this fellow was just behind Bucchanero Forte in Coventry Stakes.

Best of luck DO.
Thought Bobsleigh in the last has a decent ew chance on better going today.
Amazing the dam never won off higher than 54 in a 44 race career but this fellow was just behind Bucchanero Forte in Coventry Stakes.
With you on this one,Ed.:thumbsup:

Good luck, guys. It's not the kind of race I'd study so I'll be checking the results and hope it does the biz for you.

Aye,it's a bit 'left field' for me, more instinct than anything else, I guess but we'll see what happens.

Personally I think this is a shadow of the meeting it was 20 years ago.I think there are 4 or possibly 5 great gambling meetings in England and Ireland-Cheltenham,Royal Ascot,possibly Aintree,Dublin Racing Festival and Irish Champions Weekend.There are some great stand alone gambling races but I think the quality of English racing has declined massively.

There are some great stand alone gambling races but I think the quality of English racing has declined massively.

It has at the top level mainly due to the obsession with breeding for speed but also the upgrading of fillies races. Obviously you can't just compare one year now to another twenty years ago and say **** sake there were 12 runners in that Juddmonte - Terimon beat five rivals in '91 and the Singspiel/Bosra Sham renewal was a small field but the renewal I remember most fondly (after time lol) was the Rodrigo one in '92. And that race you had Kooyonga as fav and All at Sea second in. They'd be in the Yorkshire Oaks now or Kooyonga would be waiting for ICW.

Equilateral is joint-top on my figures for this season's form and one I'd be reluctant to oppose.

My concern is that on good ground this season York has struck me as a front-runners' course. They're not stopping even when they go fast. Equilateral might just have the class to lay up in his comfort zone.

Great stuff Dessie I had me a fiver on it:D 16/1 on the machine

Last edited:
My eyes keep being drawn to Equilateral in the first race tomorrow, he has only run in a handicap the once - back in January 2020 at Meydan when he won - and has otherwise plied his trade in Group races. Eight now, he has been running fairly respectably and still looking reasonably comfortable at Group level, particularly on firmish ground.

I'm not surprised by it winning and very well done to all Equilateral backers I say through gritted teeth as I was on Alligator alley.

Well done Barjon for mentioning Equilateral first and congrats to all who backed him.

As I said, it was possible he had the class to lay up in his comfort zone. He could be called themost likely winner most of the way but did have to knuckle down late.

I can't help thinking, though, that Alligator Alley would have won with a better start.

Brilliant move from Spencer tbf going far side. Not a lot of jockeys would have won on him imo. Was completely wrong.

Up to my neck with work on my house (asbestos, wasps etc etc….)so only dipping into the racing: remembered about you tipping Equilateral but betting closed down just as I was putting my bet on. If it’s any consolation when that happens the horse quite often wins. Well done those of you less tardy than me!

My eyes keep being drawn to Equilateral in the first race tomorrow, he has only run in a handicap the once - back in January 2020 at Meydan when he won - and has otherwise plied his trade in Group races. Eight now, he has been running fairly respectably and still looking reasonably comfortable at Group level, particularly on firmish ground.

Splendid shout.

Personally I think this is a shadow of the meeting it was 20 years ago.I think there are 4 or possibly 5 great gambling meetings in England and Ireland-Cheltenham,Royal Ascot,possibly Aintree,Dublin Racing Festival and Irish Champions Weekend.There are some great stand alone gambling races but I think the quality of English racing has declined massively.

I couldn't have the DRF ahead of, say, Glorious Goodwood as a gambling meeting. Or even Galway - though I very rarely dabble in that myself.

Back