2 Year olds 2009

I don't think the Group 1s (with the possible exception of the Morny) have been better than the other pattern races for the two year olds this season.

I don't think the Group 1s (with the possible exception of the Morny) have been better than the other pattern races for the two year olds this season.

Poet's Voice was well beaten in the Middle Park and Silver Grecian well beaten in the Dewhurst. This is widely reported to be the strongest Group 1 for two year olds so far this season and EP did not have much in hand over the previously named pair.

Im bred to be able to sprint but im as slow as a slug. My point is trainers sometimes over elaborate with these 2 year olds that give their best performance over a mile and decide they want a trip. Therefore missing the guineas when the horse has a great chance.

...and my point is that using Crowded House as an example of that was a poor one!! :D

I do still think they got it wrong with the horse. The burst of speed he showed last year in the RP trophy visually was unreal. Think they just got too excited about the derby and obviously had delegator.

Poet's Voice was well beaten in the Middle Park and Silver Grecian well beaten in the Dewhurst. This is widely reported to be the strongest Group 1 for two year olds so far this season and EP did not have much in hand over the previously named pair.

Mine was a general pôint and not meant to come across factually; I think the lines between Group 1 and non-Group 1 pattern races are a little blurred this year.

Whatever you think of Poet's Voice, I'm sure you would agree the Middle Park wasn't him running up to his previous level.

You're right, EP didn't win by much. But, he came from an awfully long way back after being initially outpaced, and despite the ground not appearing to suit (I could be wrong though connections think the same), he ran on extremely well and looks like a step up to a mile will bring about further improvement.

A reproduction of the Acomb won't be enough. He'll need to improve of that there is no doubt. But I'll be amazed if he doesn't prove a better horse at 8f with cut than at 7f on fast.

I had a quick look at some 2yo form today.

I'll get a look at the Dewhurst tomorrow but I have to say I think the Middle Park shapes nicely and franked the Gimcrack. The principals had decent ORs and the form appears to stack up well, including being faster run than the Chevely Park, in which the French filly impressed.

It might not be vintage stuff but I don't think it's substandard so far.

I agree; not that the word of the trainer is needed, but Johnston seems sure Shakespearean is quite a bit better than Layali Al Andalus.

The prices for the RP Trophy seem plain wrong.

I already like this colt (as I think you know). There is something about him that looks pretty good to me. In this context the fact that Johnston is keen on him is all to the good.

SNA could of course be exceptional, but I doubt he'll have it all his own way in a tough renewal.

I really like Xtension as a two year old and I've always said if I had the money and I had a decent horse I'd send him to Clive Cox but you have to think that Steinbeck will improve past his rivals in the Dewhurst as O'Brien is in a different league when it comes to Guineas preparations with 2 year olds of Steinbeck's profile.

I'm actually really gutted I didn't invest a significant chunk for the Guineas at 16s. He's now a bit too close to Arcano in the betting (at 12s) and I am of the opinion that Arcano would have absolutely battered the Dewhurst had he turned up in good form.

God knows whos backing Canford Cliffs at 10s. Going back to Xtension, I've just seen he's 33/1, that's too big.

It's true that Xtension is not all that big and may not have the scope of some of the Ballydoyle horsee (and others). But Clive is very canny when it comes to setting a target and pulling one off, and he very nearly pulled off the Dewhurst. Hope springs eternal!

Flying Cross out again at Navan today - in the maiden Fame And Glory won last year. Fame And Glory's half brother Rainforest is also in the race.

Expect plenty of two year olds from Ballydoyle entered for Leopardstown next week with the possibility of some interesting types make quick reappearances.

Flying Cross was very very green there today but was much better than the opposition. Good run first time out from Falcon Flight in third.

I was really taken with Flying Cross - could not have been any greener but still managed to win. Looks a lovely big horse as well. Falcon Flight was pretty eye catching alright.

I really like Xtension as a two year old and I've always said if I had the money and I had a decent horse I'd send him to Clive Cox but you have to think that Steinbeck will improve past his rivals in the Dewhurst as O'Brien is in a different league when it comes to Guineas preparations with 2 year olds of Steinbeck's profile.

I'm actually really gutted I didn't invest a significant chunk for the Guineas at 16s. He's now a bit too close to Arcano in the betting (at 12s) and I am of the opinion that Arcano would have absolutely battered the Dewhurst had he turned up in good form.

God knows whos backing Canford Cliffs at 10s. Going back to Xtension, I've just seen he's 33/1, that's too big.

Xtension has an excellent attitude. Seems to finish his races with a flourish also.

I had a quick look at some 2yo form today.

I'll get a look at the Dewhurst tomorrow but I have to say I think the Middle Park shapes nicely and franked the Gimcrack. The principals had decent ORs and the form appears to stack up well, including being faster run than the Chevely Park, in which the French filly impressed.

It might not be vintage stuff but I don't think it's substandard so far.

My findings for the Dewhurst back up my belief that the 2yos are a pretty decent bunch.

Beethoven (109) works out strictly on time and before wfa at 14lbs behind Twice Over (123) in the Champion Stakes, which appears to have been very true run, and faster than Arabian Gleam's (107) Challenge Stakes. With Fencing Master, Xtension and Steinbeck all close up the perceived wisdom is to assume they're much of a muchness but I don't think this is the case. Some highly rated 2yos - Buzzword (OR 114), Dick Turpin (112) and Silver Grecian (112) - were soundly beaten yet finished close to how theyir respective ratings suggested.

I would be reasonably confident that the Guineas winner ran in this Dewhurst.

The Rockfel form is probably strong too. Music Show (102 before wfa) and her two close pursuers from top stables were six lengths clear of decent fillies.

Final Declarations -

Al Ghazal (USA)
Al Zir (USA)
Big Audio (IRE)
Coordinated Cut (IRE)
Dancing David (IRE)
Elusive Award (USA)
Elusive Pimpernel (USA)
Hanson'd (IRE)
Morana (IRE)
Musaafer (IRE)
Shakespearean (IRE)
St Nicholas Abbey (IRE)

Looks like being a cracker.

Shakesperean each way at 14s (if still available) looks a great bet.

Al Zir and Elusive Pimpernel both backed in a little yesterday.

No Jan Vermeer looks like a good sign for St Nicholas Abbey, who Murtagh sounds very keen on.

Very open race.

I do not see the attract of Shakesperean at all. His sales run was hard fought and I cannot imagine Coolmore would consider the likes of Famous would be able to bother SNA.

Last edited:
When O'Brien only sends one it's usually a good sign.

Having said that the more I watch Al Zir the more I think Godolphin might finally have found a good one.

Nice debut win in a Class 4 mile at Brighton today. 2 y.o. colt, TERTIARY (SINGSPIEL - ALLEZ LES TROIS), Godolphin/Suroor/Ajtebi. Handled the course professionally; saw off 12 others from draw 11, inc. horses by MOTIVATOR, DANEHILL DANCER, GALILEO, etc.; athletically built, pleased with himself afterwards. Half-bro to ANABAA BLUE, mother is a high-class winner at 8 and 10f.

The more I look at Elusive Pimpernel the more I like it as a Derby prospect. I might dabble in the a/p market before tomorrow's race.

Back