2000 Guineas

What a race by the way. Feel like I'm being pulled in a dozen different directions at once. Probably one to leave alone... if only I were that sensible!

I think it is very strong in terms of there being a good number of runners for which it isn't hard to make a pausible case. There might not be - then again there just might be - a superstar in the line-up but it looks more competitive than usual and, a wee bit like the Grand National, I can see a dozen of them in with a shout 2f from home.

It may well be that we'll have half a dozen running to between 118-122 on the day, which would be pretty good in the circumstances.

Right after much procrastination I've decided that if we're ever going to see one those reuslts where the front three are all at double figured prices, then this is the renewal to throw it up, and with big question marks against all of the first 4 I've decided to win big on smallish stakes by going with various extravagant forecasts involving

Finjaan, Lord Shanakill, Gan Amhras and Monitor Closely (the latter has to make the frame with pig flu in the air :confused:- I'm sorry, but its one of those races). I don't think there's a stand out selection this year, or even the usual two or three who look very sharp either who you'd normally expect to oppose something with, so if its going to happen, 2009 looks as likely a year as any. Here's to watchign the first three in the betting flash home in order then:lol:

Right after much procrastination I've decided that if we're ever going to see one those reuslts where the front three are all at double figured prices, then this is the renewal to throw it up, and with big question marks against all of the first 4 I've decided to win big on smallish stakes by going with various extravagant forecasts involving

Finjaan, Lord Shanakill, Gan Amhras and Monitor Closely (the latter has to make the frame with pig flu in the air :confused:- I'm sorry, but its one of those races). I don't think there's a stand out selection this year, or even the usual two or three who look very sharp either who you'd normally expect to oppose something with, so if its going to happen, 2009 looks as likely a year as any. Here's to watchign the first three in the betting flash home in order then:lol:

Good luck Warbs, you'll need it. :p

I liked Ashram alot last year, and was disappointed that they ran him in the Dewhurst, they should have put him away.

Evasive looked in eyebrow-raisingly tremendous condition at Ascot on Wednesday.

I like Finjaan but not sure is a mile is his trip. Delegator was impressive but the ground worries me about that one.

Struggling to see any reason why Rip Van Winkle should win let alone be such a short price.

My choice is LORD SHANAKILL who should relish the ground and could be just about good enough, certainly a good each way bet.

Last edited:
I'd say about 1.52.00 should be close to spot on good, 1.50.00 is starting to push good into faster. 1.48.50 is in Good to Firm territory. Having said that, you can always get a slow time on fast ground of course, although you can't get a fast time on slow ground (well you can, but it requires a few manufactured inputs or other factors).

Mind you, if the RP are up to their usual standards of alacrity, the fourth race will have been run by the time they give out the information for the first

Last edited:
The Racing Post standard for 9f (for what it's worth!) is currently 1m 49s for a 100-rated mature horse carrying 9st on Good ground - which is pretty much what the winner of this will normalise to.

Indeed. Fairly sure it`s between the front three in the market. The others either haven`t the form or need further (if New Approach couldn`t win this what chance Gan Amhras?).

Cue Channel 4 taking us to a documentry minutes before the Guineas thus ensuring we will not see most of the principles until moments before the off. Thank God for RUK.

Back