2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely dreadful for him, and what a sobering few days for all fans of NH racing.
Ted on FF says he thinks he saw a dog running loose at Wincanton - if so its owner had better be insured...

A mixed day for Charlie Longsdon then as Royal Katidoki won for him as well.

Hope Jay is ok - how serious were the injuries?

Priest's Bridge - is terrible news - what the hell was she doing in a novice chase at 11 after having had a foal :angy:

Yes... Nick Luck and Dave Nevison discussed her situation in considerable detail, and wondered whether any mare had ever come back (successfully) to racing after foaling. She looked smashing in the ring, James - really well, and was bonny enough setting out on the job. The fall's fatal consequence was immediate - she went right down on her neck with her head in her chest, flipped, and was spark out in a second. Terrible. Nick Luck got a call from the trainer of PETITE MARGOT to say his mare had foaled and gone back into racing, and at the same time sent condolences on the incident. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth, seeing something as sudden and tragic like that, when moments earlier she'd seemed so lively and well. I don't know why they put her back into racing when she could surely have continued breeding, unless something went wrong in that department. Well, all options are over now.

Terrible day at Wincanton. :( The loss of four horses was heart breaking. The news about Jay started to filter around the course. I spoke to Nigel Hawke. He thought Jay might have neck injuries. When I got home I read on the SL that he had facial and abdominal injuries. Racing UK replay reports that he is stable and conscious. Hopefully it isn't as bad as first thought.

WARLORD
RY3J00181.jpg

STARS IN HIS EYES AND JAY HARRIS
RY3J00251.jpg

PRIESTS BRIDGE
RY3J01561.jpg

NEYSAUTEUR
RY3J03541.jpg

Quite upsetting to see them all pictured looking so immaculate and keen, shortly before they were to die, Dims. I imagine their owners would love to have those photos - WARLORD was a magnificent-looking fellow, and look how PRIEST'S BRIDGE was enjoying her first jump. Oh, bugger National Hunt. I'm really off it for now, I'm afraid. Every day some poor animal breaks its leg or neck or back, and I'm sick of it all.

I am sick of this day. Very sad.

Horrible day for NH fans especially the mare that had a foal last year.

I hate days like this.

I'm not going to watch any more NH for a while, Powerscourt - there are just so many tragic sights you can take in a few days (including one 'live' at Fontwell yesterday). A post script to WARLORD: the RP online's report on Wincanton has Bob Buckler saying that he couldn't have taken any more sedation, and it was found that the horse had broken a bone in his neck, and was unable to rise, thus necessitating being destroyed.

It's sad just enough "hearing" about all these fatalities. It breaks my heart if I am actually at a racetrack when any racehorse loses it's life. To have 4 at the same meeting is absolutely horrendous for everyone involved. On top of the obvious heartbreak for the connections it gives negative publicity to NH racing and to the racecourse involved. It's drawing to the close of the "official" winter NH season so let's hope that there are very few fatalities in the next few days and weeks. I am off to Newbury at the weekend probably with a bit of a heavy heart, but I will be optimistic that all horses in attendance will all return home safe and sound.

Fingers crossed that Jay Harris is OK.

From Sportinglife.co.uk:

It was a grim afternoon at Wincanton today as four horses unfortunately lost their lives and jockey Jay Harris had to be airlifted to Hospital.

Racing was delayed by around 30 minutes following an incident in the Elite Racing Novices' Hurdle.

Warlord, ridden by Daryl Jacob, fell down the back straight, in turn bringing down Stars In His Eyes and Jay Harris.

Jacob was able to walk away from the incident, but conditional rider Harris was taken to nearby Yeovil Hospital with abdominal and facial injuries.

Initial reports suggested that Harris' mount had escaped unscathed, but unfortunately he dislocated a pastern and had to be put down.

And while Warlord lay on the turf concussed and sedated, he was also humanely destroyed.

Speaking after racing, clerk of the course Rebecca Morgan said: "We have no more news other than the fact Jay Harris was taken to Yeovil Hospital by air ambulance following an incident in which he sustained both facial and abdominal injuries."

There was also a blow for the connections of Priests Bridge, who was returning to the track after 1,283 days.

The mare, who had a foal last year, raced keenly and fell at the second and died on impact in the Glovers/Jones Building Contractors Novices' Chase.

And Charlie Longsdon, who recently suffered the loss of flag-bearer Kerstino Two, lost another in the shape of Neysauteur after a bad mistake in the Countryside Raceday 22nd April Handicap Chase.

Warlords connections deserve a bit of a pat on the back as he was on the floor for a couple of hours whilst they attempted to save him so they didn't give in easily cry

Poor soul - he must be pretty sore. Let's hope his confidence is not battered and that he's soon back up. Thanks for the update, DG.

Not 100% about this but I think we may have lost one at Exeter today. Beyondtherealm broke down badly and was taken back to the stables in a horse box. The horse ambulance went past me as I was getting back to the paddock area, but I could not see a horse standing in it. :( If this horse has lost its life it will be a real shame to Jimmy Frost as it is one of his most consistant horses.

Indie had a tendon injury that needed at least a year off before I could ocntemplate trying to get her back onto a racecourse - I went for the having a foal option to ensure her at least a year and a half ( turned out to be nearer two) - not saying thats what happened with PB - but I'd bet Im not the only person whose done that.

Get well soon Jay!!

The RSPCA has done its nadgers over Wincanton, as reported tonight online in the RP, while Winkers' Clerk of the Course has said there was (like Cheltenham last year) no common factor, which, to be fair, there wasn't. PRIEST'S BRIDGE took off so far off her take-off line that she had no chance of getting over the jump, and went crashing through it, with fatal results. This was simple horse error, sadly. WARLORD might've taken off wrong, too, as he certainly clatters his hurdle and knocks himself out, bringing down the equally unfortunate STARSINHISEYES, who ran on injured, and was later destroyed.

However, the RSPCA isn't too happy with these 'no common factor' explanations, it seems clear, so the HRA is going to have to make sure it's seen to be doing all it can with its lengthy reviews and analyses of every fatality, as Cheltenham seems to have done to improved effect, and to counsel courses where improvements might help reduce injuries and deaths.

One thing I've noted is that while some fences appear to be perfect strides apart for the 'average-striding' horse, every now and then there's a fence which isn't for any of them - they have, usually, to shorten up to clear it. When they're tired, or even near exhaustion, in the closing stages, the last thing you want is a trick-stride obstacle. Hence so many bunny-hops and flat-footed landings, I think - maybe Clerks should try to ensure that they're not mismeasuring distances between obstacles? As Merlin says - just a thought!

I note someone on my site has pointed out that Etlaala is recorded as having died in the RP. Anyone know what happened to him?

Happened at a P2P at Cottenham last weekend.

Jockey Andrew Pennock, who lives near Sudbury in Suffolk, fractured four bones in his neck when his mount Phriapatius, fell fatally in the final race.

A steward at the same event got kicked in the face in the paddock :what:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back