2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try and find out what happened to Bennett. He was pulled up in front of me at Newbury yesterday. Looked nasty, fetlock I think. The horse was taken away in a horse box. I met the trainer Noel Chance ab bit later and I forgot to ask. :dork:

Phripatius :(

He was one of the horses I saw down at Dr Naylor's with Fudge, was on box rest at the time and I know he'd only just gone to the sales. Lovely looking horse with a big blaze :(

Originally posted by purr@Mar 24 2007, 07:27 PM
I note someone on my site has pointed out that Etlaala is recorded as having died in the RP. Anyone know what happened to him?
No-one has told me i will find out for you ASAP.

Thinking about it, he had a nasty injury towards the end of last yr around the same time as la cucaracha injured herself, so that probably had something to do with it?

Originally posted by Diminuendo@Mar 24 2007, 08:55 PM
I'll try and find out what happened to Bennett. He was pulled up in front of me at Newbury yesterday
Let us know Dims if you can, I was in the Pall Mall stand when that happened and we all breathed a sigh of relief when he was taken off in the horsebox - but clearly that may not be the whole story

Originally posted by Love Everlasting+Mar 24 2007, 11:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Love Everlasting @ Mar 24 2007, 11:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-purr@Mar 24 2007, 07:27 PM
I note someone on my site has pointed out that Etlaala is recorded as having died in the RP.  Anyone know what happened to him?
No-one has told me i will find out for you ASAP.

Thinking about it, he had a nasty injury towards the end of last yr around the same time as la cucaracha injured herself, so that probably had something to do with it? [/b][/quote]
broken leg

A ghastly day at Stratford and Plumpton, the latter seeing mass withdrawals due to the dry ground, which didn't save horses from pulling up injured to some degree or other, and one, possibly two, dead (name will follow). Those dead at Stratford are the handsome, almost black FILL THE BUNKER, disputing first all the way in a terrific duel with the winner, falling mostly out of sight in the final straight, and PEERLESS ACTION who seemed to be dead the second he hit the ground. Everything down to the dried ground, according to the ATR presenters.

From what Bill Turner had to say after he'd had a winner yesterday it would appear that Mizinky who pulled up lame at Lingfield last Wed was fataly injured.

If his usual box driver/helper comes in tomorrow, Arkers, I'll ask about it. I wonder what happened?

Good use of the screens at Stratford today - they normally seem to use them to stop the viewer seeing the dead/injured horses, not at Stratford - there it's a lovely green backdrop.

It seems 6 at Plumpton were pulled up unsound and at least one was put down, no details given though at the end of the wrap, none had come through by then. Thomas Hardy went wrong in the bumper and and was pu, no further details on him either - lost his action, looked like it might be pelvis

And this is March - the bloodbath that is summer jumping still ahead of us :angy:

That's terrible. I wonder if the increased number of meetings held means that the racing surface becomes rougher and more uneven when it dries out.

Both CRUSSET and PARADISE VALLEY confirmed dead by the RP after the seller at Plumpton, and three finished lame in another of the novice hurdles. Really did look bad ground from the TV pictures, not at all what you'd expect in March after the wet winter we've had. The ground was also pretty bad (as in, very firm) at Cottenham for the PtP meeting where PHRIAPATIUS died, but I don't think it contributed in his case - he had a horrible crashing fall. His rider was out cold on the ground for ages afterwards too. Hopefully they will water the course before their next meeting on 7th April or runners will be few and far between. :(

ALTAY, winner of the 2003 Swinton Hurdle at Haydock, has been retired after succumbing to injury.

A cracked sesamoid has persuaded trainer Richard Fahey that the time has come for his 12-time winner to take a back-seat from racing.

“He's going to have to have some time off, anyway, and, as he'll be 11 years old next season, the best decision is to call it a day with him,” said Fahey.

Winner of nine races on the Flat, including last season's Bollinger Amateur Riders' Championship Final at Ascot, Altay also won three over hurdles.

“The day he won the Swinton was a tremendous occasion,” recalls Fahey. “He's been a grand horse, who has done us proud.”

Plumpton: ROSITA BAY, CROWN GAMBLE, PRIVATE GARCIA all finished lame in the second race. In the third (chase) TALLOW BAY burst. In the fourth (hurdle), CRUSSET was finishing when PU, broke down badly and was destroyed and in the same race, PARADISE VALLEY was PU after the third, gone wrong, destroyed. In the sixth race, THOMAS HARDY went lame.

Stratford: In the fourth (chase) FILL THE BUNKER, the favourite, fell, dead. In the fifth race, PEERLESS MOTION (not Action as I mistyped earlier), fell, dead, and STROOM BANK burst.

Bloody Norah.

After the tragedy of Wincanton recently, this latest spate of equine deaths is awful.

I know the ground has dried out very quickly in places but questions have to be asked and quickly before we have any more of these really horrific racing days. This is not what horseracing is about. :(

Animal Aid are going to have a field day with all this! I happened to be on their site at the weekend looking for something to do with puppy farming and they were already harping on about the recent deaths at Wincanton and saying what a death trap Wolverhampton has become.

Plumpton was very much caught on the back foot, it seems. A colleague who also works there said that the ground dried out very dramatically during the day, yet still soft patches remained down at the railway end (bottom turn), where there's always an extra-soft 50 yards or so. The downhill back straight was rock hard and although it was unseasonally very hot, there was also a strong wind drying the course throughout the day. I'm sure that if they thought the course would dry out as it did, they'd have watered copiously beforehand. In fact, word was that course admin and regulars had never known Plumpton to be so dry.

Yes, but watering copiously on fast drying ground will create false ground which can be just as dangerous as rough, rutted or hard ground.

Ardross - I've been through it before but will say it again - summer jumping serves a purpose (especially for the flat breds that excel on, if not need, a firmer surface) and is not all a bloodbath. Nor is it all run on hard/bad ground. For someone whose profession is in law you do like to make sweeping generalisations that aren't based in fact sometimes!

Shadow - I was paying the Clerk of the Course the compliment of knowing his job. I haven't implied that he'd do anything so dumb as to water in order to create false ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back