2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alfano who broke down badly at Sedgefield yesterday was another casualty I'm afraid.

And now another (following PRAIRIE MINSTREL, the 13 y.o.) from R. Dickin's smallish yard: the 9 y.o. hurdler BILL BROWN, broke his neck falling at Towcester today. He BD two others who were okay.

Look at the comments in running in that race, Krizon. What on earth happened? Sounds dreadful.

Oops
held up, headway after 5th, hampered next, stayed on same pace when hit last

Methodical
held up, headway approaching 3 out, weakened before next

General Smith
held up, hampered 3 out, never dangerous

Experimental
held up, hampered 3 out, never nearer

Coppermalt
held up, hampered 3 out, never dangerous

Sualda
held up in touch, raced keenly, weakened approaching 2 out

Felix Rex
always in rear, hampered 3 out
Bonnet´s Pieces

chased leaders, weakening when hampered 3 out

Mapilut Du Moulin
chased leaders, weakened after 5th, in rear when hampered next

Marine Life
chased leaders until weakened and pulled up before 2 out

Borehill Joker
prominent, ridden after 5th, weakening when hampered next, soon pulled up

Bill Brown
chased leaders until fell 3 out, dead :(
Andy Gin
held up, some headway when fell 3 out
Ridjit
held up, mid-division when brought down 3 out

Gin Palace
held up, ridden 5th, some headway when brought down 3 out

At 3 out, BILL BROWN crashed, lay prone, and died immediately. One horse more or less tripped over his front, while the other appeared to crash in trying to avoid BB's hindlegs and stumbled about badly. We weren't told during the race that a second one had also fallen, just that two were BD following Bill's fall. All the jockeys took nasty falls, and as their horses had others around and behind them, these got caught up with avoiding the prone BILL BROWN, the jockeys, and having the loose horses swerving about getting up from their own falls. Hence so much hampering.

Sounds horrible; I didn't see any of towcester than goodness. i did watch the kempton replays, there was a nasty indident int he hunter chase, from Commnets in Running:

Va Vavoom
held up in last pair, effort 10th, 5th and in touch when badly hampered and unseated rider 13th
Derrintogher Yank
led 2nd and soon clear, headed 10th, close 2nd when fell heavily 13th

One of the horses - VVV I think - was staggering about crazily when he got up, did anyone hear if they are OK? RUK didn't tell us sadly, tho they showed shots of both lady jocks being helped

I was there and I think all of the horses were okay, at least on the track who knows what injuries they had when they got home.

There were also a couple pulled up, an Alan King called Inishturk in the third race in which Penny Park unseated Tom O'Brien and ran around looking really lost, but was caught towards the stables, and Nation State was pulled up early in the 4th race, do not know how he was afterwards, looked lame but hard to tell.

From the RP:

KING'S THOUGHT, who came back from a life-threatening bout of colic to win the City and Suburban Handicap at Epsom in 2005, has had to be put down after suffering a serious injury in a fall over hurdles at Huntingdon this month.

“He took what looked a soft fall but he was a big horse and he hit the ground harder than we thought,” said Steve Gollings, who trained King's Thought for Elizabeth Houlton. “We had x-rays done and he had suffered a traumatic fracture of the shoulder.

“We had had four winners in nine days up to then and this just shows the highs and lows of racing. It was a very sad day. He was such a good horse and they don't come along often.”

King's Thought won six of his 43 career races and earned nearly £65,000 in prize-money.

Arkwright - I saw Bill Turner's right-hand man at Lingfield today and he confirmed that your remarks: MIZINSKY had to be put down, having overreached and cut right through his own tendon.

A further update on Brad's House.

I spoke to John O'Shea at Hereford yesterday and the good news is that Brad's House was turned out on his own for the first time yesterday morning.

The horse is thriving and there is hope that he will race again. :clap:

I'd like to say thanks to all those who take the time and trouble to update us on the fate of injured horses through their contact.

That's great news about Brads House. I still can't believe he got up, it's a miracle.

My Tally is 55 for this year :(

I have only inc horses from the UK & Ire, not stallions/retired etc or those from abroad

Not sure of which horses but think there were at least 2 killed at Kelso today (including some screen work nearly as bad as last weeks debacle)

Well, there is one confirmed as dead at the debacle at the 5th in the Beginners' Chase, Martin. That's RED POKER, who fell. The rest appear to have survived, although the RP notes that ANNIBALE CARO fell heavily at the last in the 3.20 h/cap chase. Hopefully also survived.

The jockey of Annibale Caro lifted his head but it fell right back to the floor, fingers crossed but it's looking doubtful :(

Ermm... I assume you mean he lifted the horse's head, Martin, not his own? :what: They usually try to keep horses' heads flat on the ground after a cruncher, so that seems strange. Dropping it might not help much, either!

Bowman's Crossing, high class Hong Kong performer who has made the odd visit to Royal Ascot, put down after sustaining an injury in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back