2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shame - didn't even realise she'd been retired.

INJURY CLAIMS CELESTIAL WAVE

By Keith Hamer, PA Sport

Adrian Maguire's smart staying hurdler Celestial Wave has had to be put down shortly after retiring to the paddocks.

The seven-year-old mare, winner of seven of her 10 starts and placed in the other three, was due to be covered next weekend but veterinary examination revealed her plight.

"She was examined on Tuesday morning by the vet and he found there was a rupture inside her and nothing could be done so she had to be put down," said Maguire.

The County Cork-based handler paid tribute to the mare who had given him a flying start to his fledgling training career.

"She was a superstar. We all thought she was going to enjoy the rest of her days at stud. It's very unfortunate what has happened," he added.

Celestial Wave had been fancied for the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham after completing a hat-trick in Graded company but was found to be cast in her box the week before the Festival.

What a huge pity for the mare and her connections. They must be devastated.

Honestly, I can't remember a worse year for disasters of all kinds relating to breeding..

This is devasting news. What a gutsy little mare, and what a horrible twist of fate for all involved. Really, worlds fail you when something like this happens.

Just thinking, and do not want to spread something, but sounds weird that vet examined her (as the article did not imply any urgency) and then found a rupture. Might have been same thing that happend to Belle .... and they wanted to put it in kinder words .... cry

Not sure Gareth - just know he's been retired, likely to Kentucky Horse Park I think given he's a gelding and they seem to get the good one's - Da Hoss, Cigar and a fair few champion pacers are located there.

Shame about Celestial Wave - I didn't realise she'd been retired either.

What happened to Far From Trouble? I hadn't realised his injury was that bad.

That's depressing for connections, especially hoping to breed from CW. We do need to use this thread for reporting retirements, too! It'd help us to know where they've gone to and why. What went on with FFT?

He had a setback pre-Cheltenham Kri but didn't sound too serious, hadn't heard anything since they opted for the Irish National over Aintree.

I know this isn't quite on the same scale as losing Celestial Wave etc, but Simoun, a lovely winning point to pointer from Wales died at home. His owners are missing him like crazy.

There is a piccy of him winning in update 13.

Yeah - reckon you can wave goodbye to your ante post vouchers for the National..... :shy: :ph34r:

Ooops, Miesque's Approval isn't a gelding and he's being sold to stand as a stallion in the Southern Hemisphere :)

Thanks for the reply, Irish Stamp - very sad news about a lovely horse. Next copy of Owner & Breeder I get, I'll try to remember to put up some happier notes about retirements! :(

Originally posted by krizon@Apr 5 2007, 07:51 PM
That's depressing for connections, especially hoping to breed from CW. We do need to use this thread for reporting retirements, too! It'd help us to know where they've gone to and why. What went on with FFT?
Complications from a leg infection according to the RP .

Well, An Capall must've got his information about her being okay from somewhere, but Gareth O'Brien, the ATR presenter, informed us later that she'd broken her back and was dead. Tony Dobbin suffered a broken arm in the pile-up, so that's his Aintree buggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back