2008 Arc

EC1,

I never bought the idea that you were FoF myself ~ as I said, the two of you couldn't be further apart in terms of personality (although you are both typical northeners!!); but I didn't want Gal to think he was going mad ;)

Septimus for The Arc? What do you think?

Could try and do a Westerner with him, but he's not as good as Westerner in my opinion. It's not as good a field though either.

I'm surprised that if Ballydoyle think that this is a valid approach that that they don't aim their top stayer at it.

Yes, well, as much as I love Yeats maybe they think Septimus IS their top stayer.

Hard to tell but Yeats won Coronation Cup, Septimus second to Scorpion in it. I think Septimus is faster than Yeats over a shorter distance.

Sounds kind of baffling since before Saturday Septimus had not actually won a Grp1 but he has really come to hand and looks different than he did before too, much bigger and stronger.

I like Septimus too, but I'm not getting carried away with him beating trees the other day.

The way I look at it still is that I know which one I'd back in Gold Cup head-to-head. Yeats.

Over a shorter distance, might be interesting. Not sure. Septimus has plenty of time to reach Yeats' level. I just don't believe he has yet.

Yes, agree with you there. Yeats is my favourite stayer of all timer. But the Arc is not the Gold Cup either and not sure which one I think would have a better chance in that race.

Do think we could ask him to run them both? :)

Yeats and Septimus go out hard and hang on - Soldier of Fortune and Duke of Marmalade trying to make up the ground late. It would be some spectacle and make up in some way for the loss of Montmartre from the race.

Possibly unlikely though!

Last edited:
look

I have to :D

I remember Ardross nearly doing it..if I remember correctly...the first four home all began with A......All Along?

I remember it because at that time I had devised a system where I backed all horses beginning with A in the Arc

Similarily..C in the Cambridgeshire

you will never guess the rules of the system;)

Not much rain due around Paris in the next couple of weeks apparently. Given the summer we`ve had over here i`m finding that really hard to take.

I don't expect as many British as usual at Longchamp this year because of the economic situation and the lack of a strongly fancied contender for the big one. PMU pools are likely to be heavily dominated by French money this year.

Regarding the Japanese horse, how good is he? Clearly not in the same regard as Deep Impact but whats he done in Japan?

Betsmate, Gamla Stan,

Are you both also going for the Saturday?

Let me know your plans (by PM if you prefer) & if you fancy a post race beer Saturday.

Andrew

I'm not going on the Saturday for the first time unfortunately. Taking a bit of a circuitous route to the Arc this year and won't get into Paris until Saturday night. I'm interailling around Europe for the week beforehand with friends - so plans are very much fluid.

I also haven't decided on my adherence to accepted dress code yet either as I'm not sure I fancy carrying a full suit around with me for a week in a backpack! So you might not want to be seen with me!

Regardless I should be going out after the races on Sunday so I'll PM you and Gamla my number and you can drop me a text if you fancy meeting up at Longchamp?

Back