2008 Arc

Andrew,

I should have said I'm flying out early Sat morning, going on the Sat afternoon, staying at the campsite Sat night across the road, going on Sunday then staying near CDG airport Sunday night and flying back early Mon morning.

PM me if you fancy meeting up. I'll probably be going into Central Paris on the Saturday night as food/drinking options around Longchamp are limited and also full of drunken scumbags.

There are always hotels in Paris, the last few years I've just turned up on the weekend and booked one there and then and last year the Rugby WC was on too.

Not sure what your budget is - but I always look for bargains (and this year have booked through) http://www.paris35.com (it is not just really cheap ones - there are some good independents on there too).

Last edited:
Usually some decent budget options around Pigalle, if you don't mind scantily clad prostitutes waving at you at 10am in the morning in the windows of bars then it's a decent central area. It's seedy but safe enough and has some very nice little backstreets and is close to Montmarte.

I know a friend who stayed at a very good place in the Latin Quarter that she raved about, I'll chase down the name of the place.

Staying at the Hotel De Nemours which is only 4 - 5km from the track and 2km from centre of Paris which is handy, was a fair price and it cost me for a flight, because I didn't wanna fly at some unearthly hour. Thanks for all your responses but google came in handy as well.

@chris
still shocked that of all YOU have never been to Longchamp before ! ;)

We´ll be there as ususal, you will most certainly find us near the "Schiaparelli" + "Liang Kay" flag ....

"It is a great initiative on behalf of Dundalk Stadium to put on this additional race and the intention would be for Duke Of Marmalade to run at Dundalk if the ground turns out to be unsuitable at Longchamp," said O'Brien.

A hint perhaps that he is a certain runner in the Arc if the ground is alright? Previously the Arc seemed to be a possible if the ground was fast, now it looks certain for him to line up if conditions are not testing.

Ey?! Love how he just slips that in at the end. Cheers Aidan, so your stable star will be contesting the best middle distance race in Europe after all but you just drop it in at the end of a conversation about Dundalk. Has he been taking PR lessons off Jim?

Does this mean he won't be going to Great Leighs now?

He said he'd be going to the Great Leighs followed by the Breeders Cup last week.

11/1 on Betdaq looks massive.

Incidently, anyone who backs Fabre 3 yr olds in the Arc blindly might want to back Russian Cross on Betfair tonight at 50/1. Runs tomorrow in the 4.10 Longchamp and is favourite for that.

Just quickly to say, I am just reading into what connections have said in the public, just thought the O'Brien comment was much more favourable towards the Arc.

Those long range forecasts are hard to take too seriously. Particularly when just a mornings rain could change everything.

Incidently, anyone who backs Fabre 3 yr olds in the Arc blindly might want to back Russian Cross on Betfair tonight at 50/1. Runs tomorrow in the 4.10 Longchamp and is favourite for that.

I don't think he's got an entry in the big one. Holds an entry in the Dollar instead.

He can be supplemented though can't he? The owner isn't short of a few €s so I'm hopeful he'll have a punt if he wins today.

Reading the bit about DOM/Great Leighs/Dundalk in the RP...it sounds as though DOM is a certain runner in the Arc if the going is suitable.

New Approach misses the Arc. Bolger is quoted as follows: "It was decided that running in the Arc would have been problematical because of the draw factor." He also thinks the horse will be better suited by the Newmarket 10f in the Champion Stakes than 12f in Paris.

But...he might have got a good draw, mightn't he?

Back