2010 Two year olds

Lacy Brief very disapointing and very expensive, no excuses either. I thought the eventual winner Lake Ontario was the obvious danager but his weakness in the market made be even more bullish about the Prendergast's filly.

The eagerly-awaited debut of Voodoo Prince is now approximately a month away.

Trainer Ed Dunlop has been enthused by what he has seen from the son of Kingmambo and Ouija Board in recent weeks and feels the colt is almost ready to race.

"He's started to do some faster work and it's so far so good," said Dunlop.

"He could be out maybe in a month, I hope, and probably over seven furlongs, but you can never tell with two-year-olds.

"He's done three bits of fast work. We are building up and we'll see how he gets on."

Lacy Brief very disapointing and very expensive, no excuses either. I thought the eventual winner Lake Ontario was the obvious danager but his weakness in the market made be even more bullish about the Prendergast's filly.

I lost on her too - Lake Ontario looks so ordinary on his debut.

Peter Martins looked a smart prospect last night in a decent novices event at Newmarket. Loved the way he travelled through the race and pulled clear when he met the rising ground. Would be interested in hearing what the speed gurus made of the time ~ looks pretty respectable at first glance.

Only just had chance to rate it up but gave him a Beyer figure of 87 which is very very respectable for a debut effort.

For comparison:

Strong Suit earned a 92 on debut and a 90 in the Coventry.

Libranno earned a 90 for the Richmond.

Dunboyne Express is streets clear though with a 97 on Debut and a 108 for the Anglesey but I suspect that rating is a little out with the straight course and ground but I've not had time to go back and readjust properly.

Intererting post. What rating would you expect a champion 2yo to clock?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Dunboyne is running in the Phoenix at the weekend?

I know Strong Suit is headed there.

The Coventry form looks decidedly suspect to me. They didn't look to go any great pace, which would almost certainly boost the winners performance given the position he came from, but I just have a suspicion the substance of that performance might not have matched the style.

I'd be happy enough to take him on with Dunboyne Express with cut in the ground ~ if the ground comes up fast I would be afraid the Hannon horse might do him for pace. If Dunboyne Express doesn't show up we're in for a truly horrendous renewal.

I think he will run. The winner between the two would set a very good mark for the Champion 2yo.

The Coventry form looks decidedly suspect to me. They didn't look to go any great pace, which would almost certainly boost the winners performance given the position he came from, but I just have a suspicion the substance of that performance might not have matched the style.

I'd be happy enough to take him on with Dunboyne Express with cut in the ground ~ if the ground comes up fast I would be afraid the Hannon horse might do him for pace. If Dunboyne Express doesn't show up we're in for a truly horrendous renewal.

Ground is good at the moment (from good to firm yesterday). The Coventry form has taken some knocks, even if Strong Suit was possibly value for more after the interference. Recent Coventry winners have a poor record in this (Three Valleys, Hellvelyn, Henrythenavigator and Art Connossieur spring to mind). And yet the Hannon's seem confident he's their best 2yo, which is surely significant given how many of the big 2yo events they've won.

Dunboyne looked good the last day but will hardly be suited by faster ground and a shorter trip. Samuel Morse might improve for better ground but it'd be hard to have much faith in him. I liked him after his early runs but he's been disappointing since. Indeed it's amazing to think that he and Emperor Hadrian are the best that Ballydoyle have for a race that they've absolutely farmed over the years.

Godolphin have supplemented Al Aasifh who presumably found 5f too sharp at Ascot before winning a listed race last time out. I don't know an awful lot about him, perhaps others do.

There doesn't look to be much else there unless Bolger's 'wonder horse' has come on for his introduction.

It's a tricky one, and like you say, we'll probably need to see what lines up and how the ground is on the day.

Last edited:
Strong Suit is fav on the machine at the moment, if there is some rain then Dunboyne is a maximum bet at anything above 2/1 really.

I'm a real sucker for 2yo maidens this time of year. The maiden at Newmarket tomorrow night is the sort of race I'd be leaving work early to catch.

Phoenix Stakes on Sunday. Going is yielding on the straight course.

1 7 Al Aasifh (SBSuroor (in GB)) LDettori 9,01
2 8 Dunboyne Express (KPrendergast) DPMcDonogh 9,01
3 3 Emperor Hadrian(99) (APO'Brien) .(B) 9,01
4 4 Foolproof(82) (JJMurphy) DMGrant 9,01
5 5 Glor Na Mara (JSBolger) KJManning 9,01
6 9 Samuel Morse(107) (APO'Brien) . 9,01
7 1 Snow Mountain(87) (APO'Brien) . 9,01
8 6 Strong Suit (USA) (RHannon (in GB)) RHughes 9,01
9 2 Zoffany(108) (APO'Brien) . 9,01

Last edited:
I've closed the stable door after the horse has bolted and taken the 7/2 Snow Watch (Tipperary 7.10) this evening.

Phoenix Stakes on Sunday. Going is yielding on the straight course.

1 7 Al Aasifh (SBSuroor (in GB)) LDettori 9,01
2 8 Dunboyne Express (KPrendergast) DPMcDonogh 9,01
3 3 Emperor Hadrian(99) (APO'Brien) .(B) 9,01
4 4 Foolproof(82) (JJMurphy) DMGrant 9,01
5 5 Glor Na Mara (JSBolger) KJManning 9,01
6 9 Samuel Morse(107) (APO'Brien) . 9,01
7 1 Snow Mountain(87) (APO'Brien) . 9,01
8 6 Strong Suit (USA) (RHannon (in GB)) RHughes 9,01
9 2 Zoffany(108) (APO'Brien) . 9,01

I think Dunboyne Express does not run

Heard good things about Brian Meehan's Happy Today in the maiden at Newmarket. Strong enough on the exchanges as well.

Of course if I relaxed and stopped throwing the Euros around for the sake of it I'd have remembered rule 4 applies. So hard to make an honest few quid these days.

Back