2016 Gold Cuppin

The last few pages serves to show us that although this is seen by many as a Stella GC that every one of the general principles has a weakness.
Don Poli-Lazy
Don Cossack-course form,jumping,overrated
Cue Card-doubtful stayer
vautor-outstayed by one that won't stay
Djakadam-jumping
Smad place-out of depth

Im in the Don Poli camp as Laziness can be seen as a weakness or getting something done as easily as you can get away with.no one ever questions that he is not genuine.Djakadam will be bang there.Last years GC form entitles him to be plus how much improvement is there to come.Never been a fan of DC,I'll happily say I'm wrong but to me he is the most overrated horse I can name.The rest have class but over shorter,I'm not a layer but I'd be happy to lay vautor for a place.

I'd feel myself, like the King George, there's way too much class in this years Gold Cup for anything to have it won before stamina becomes an issue. It's the best renewal in years in my opinion. Even better than Kauto/Denman because there's 4 or 5 top class animals here.

You had Djakadam travel into the last furlong or two like an absolute dream last year, Cue Card will match whatever Vautour will do and then the Dons will be bumped along but like Bobs Worth once they reach an even keel around the home turn you wouldn't like them bearing down on you with that hill in front of you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the last few pages serves to show us that although this is seen by many as a stella gc that every one of the general principles has a weakness.
Don poli-lazy
don cossack-course form,jumping,overrated
cue card-doubtful stayer
vautor-outstayed by one that won't stay
djakadam-jumping
smad place-out of depth

im in the don poli camp as laziness can be seen as a weakness or getting something done as easily as you can get away with.no one ever questions that he is not genuine.djakadam will be bang there.last years gc form entitles him to be plus how much improvement is there to come.never been a fan of dc,i'll happily say i'm wrong but to me he is the most overrated horse i can name.the rest have class but over shorter,i'm not a layer but i'd be happy to lay vautor for a place.

nurse!!!!

i didn't say no confidence Grass..just the fact he wouldn't even have a choice if V is the special one..he clearly thinks he has to choose is the crux..Djak is a 170 hoss..its a no brainer surely ..choice shouldn't come into it

its alright folk clamouring for these preview nights..if its all just nonsense they talk..why the interest?

if something is said that suits an argument..its soon quoted as gospel though:)

if he is just on the wind up..fair enough..so whats the point of listening to anything that is said?

I'd feel myself, like the King George, there's way too much class in this years Gold Cup for anything to have it won before stamina becomes an issue. It's the best renewal in years in my opinion. Even better than Kauto/Denman because there's 4 or 5 top class animals here.

You had Djakadam travel into the last furlong or two like an absolute dream last year, Cue Card will match whatever Vautour will do and then the Dons will be bumped along but like Bobs Worth once they reach an even keel around the home turn you wouldn't like them bearing down on you with that hill in front of you!!

Djakadam and Don Plodder are dismissed on class grounds..................they are miles short of what is needed..........a stone probably - possibly more in the Plodders case...........CC?........has the class, but age is against him, and Vautour will improve past him like he has his dodgy epiglottis back..............Cossack?..........track will beat him................Vautour?................will run to 180+............is 2-from-2 in Championship races at the track..........won both those two Championship races uncontested (unheralded, really).............is 100% the logical choice, as far as I'm concerned...................and I will repeat..................90% of Gold Cup winners win the race having never proven their stamina at 3m2f previously...............how many of them would have been erroneously written-off by those on here?................if you run to 175+ on your first run at 3m, logic - and historical context - demands that you are given the benefit of the doubt in terms of the Gold Cup..................besides, those writing-off Vautour on the basis of the King George are seeing things, imo................it's Pavlov's Dog syndrome..............."he got collared, so he mustn't stay"..........well he got chinned on the line by a horse who won the other G1 3m chase in Britain that season................yet he is written-off as a non-stayer?.............it's communal, collective, blindness as far as I'm concerned............based on logic which I find hard to fathom...........the scales will be cast from such eyes in a little over two weeks.

Good luck* to those who haven't backed Vautour. You might well get some, and it still won't do you any good.

* Naturally, I don't mean this. I hope your selections are fu*cked in the ass by the Vulture - it will put some manners on you, for your cheek! :lol:

Last edited:
i didn't say no confidence Grass..just the fact he wouldn't even have a choice if V is the special one..he clearly thinks he has to choose is the crux..Djak is a 170 hoss..its a no brainer surely ..choice shouldn't come into it

its alright folk clamouring for these preview nights..if its all just nonsense they talk..why the interest?

if he is just on the wind up..fair enough..so whats the point of listening to anything that is said?

That's my point. Previews are a lark - they're not meant to educate.

so anyone quoting owt on here from them is to be completely ignored?:)

No. As I've said before, they are great to read........but they are not for taking seriously.

We here at TH are serious in our discourse of these races..........preview attendees are generally there for the free grog..............and jockeys at Previews are the worst of the lot..........pundits will give their view at least, whereas jockeys wouldn't give you the fart from their asses to cool your soup!

Last edited:
Gold Cuppin

Djakadam and Don Plodder are dismissed on class grounds..................they are miles short of what is needed..........a stone probably - possibly more in the Plodders case...........CC?........has the class, but age is against him, and Vautour will improve past him like he has his dodgy epiglottis back..............Cossack?..........track will beat him................Vautour?................will run to 180+............is 2-from-2 in Championship races at the track..........won both those two Championship races uncontested (unheralded, really).............is 100% the logical choice, as far as I'm concerned...................and I will repeat..................90% of Gold Cup winners win the race having never proven their stamina at 3m2f previously...............how many of them would have been erroneously written-off by those on here?................if you run to 175+ on your first run at 3m, logic - and historical context - demands that you are given the benefit of the doubt in terms of the Gold Cup..................besides, those writing-off Vautour on the basis of the King George are seeing things, imo................it's Pavlov's Dog syndrome..............."he got collared, so he mustn't stay"..........well he got chinned on the line by a horse who won the other G1 3m chase in Britain that season................yet he is written-off as a non-stayer?.............it's communal, collective, blindness as far as I'm concerned............based on logic which I find hard to fathom...........the scales will be cast from such eyes in a little over two weeks.

Good luck* to those who haven't backed Vautour. You might well get some, and it still won't do you any good.

* Naturally, I don't mean this. I hope your selections are fu*cked in the ass by the Vulture - it will put some manners on you, for your cheek! :lol:

Lost you after the first line, djakadam has a length improvement to find on last year as a 6 year old. Don Poli's never come out of 3rd gear in his life. Think he's to lazy to clutch.

Last edited:
i remember last year Grass...,you couldn't get riding plans out of RW near enough until the day..i seem to remember him being on ML the saturday before..you had more chance of getting Jimmy Savile out of a swimming baths full of 10 year olds as getting owt out of Ruby

Last edited:

tbf these preview nights are shite EC1. Its just a **** up and a way for Davy Russell to make some cash. They are a bit of fun and now and then of the 50+ horses mentioned on the night one will come in at a big price.

Lost you after the first line, djakadam has a length improvement to find on last year as a 6 year old. Don Poli's never come out of 3rd gear in his life. Think he's to lazy to clutch.

Is this serious, KA?

Last year's race was miles below this one class-wise.....a country mile below it. Almost every rating you look at will confirm this.

ratings wise its true to say this looks tougher..not sure about country mile though..but a lot of last years hosses were only coming on then..last years average ratings of front end hosses going into race = 168..this year its 173

Gold Cuppin

The winner was very decent. He's 172 having just the one trot around this year at Sandown. If he didn't get injured God knows what he'd be on now!!

He had set an unmerciful gallop. And there was a 6 year old still pitching at the end after it.

Ratings wise, the 3 above DP & Djakadam all have major questions. Two regarding the trip, they wont get it & one regarding his performance at the track over the last 2 tries there so there's very little between them all really.

Last edited:
Coneygree would have won this again. Absolutely everything you want in a Gold Cup horse. Relentless, accurate jumping, stays and tough as you like.

agree Bonjers..and the 172 rating was a joke imo..would have really put the icing on this..which is obviously still very good

the thing about looking at the ratings average is..its no use having two 175 hosses boosting the average up...if they aren't there at the end..ie don't stay:).it would be like having two Champion chase hosses in there rated 175..ratings wise it would look good,,but they aren't really going to affect the end of a GC

The King George is absolutely as good as Cue Card is - the height of his achievable form, if you will. At his age and with his experience, he will not improve again - even returned to Cheltenham.

Vautour has effectively matched that in his second open chase, on a track that wasn't mean to suit. Returned to Cheltenham, I expect a significant amount of further improvement on his King George effort. It is for these reasons, that he will beat Cue Card, and beat him comfortably.

this is total rubbish. Cue card is probably not as effective right handed and certainly has never looked anywhere near as effective at kempton. To believe that under the days track and conditions that is the limit of his form and ability is absurd

Last edited:
Previous runs would be down to his breathing issue - it is absolutely the best form he has ever displayed - fact.

i think Clive is suggesting that if CC can run a 175 in the KG on a track that don't play to strengths..he may be capable of even better when left handed

a fair point probably..made with his usual charm:)

And why would Kempton be a track that doesn't play to his strengths?

I'm happy to put his previous poor efforts there down to his breathing issues, but his KG win in December is indisputably the best of his form, so who is to say that Kempton hasn't been his track all along? He has been near-enough favourite in about 4x King George's, so it's not like anyone ever thought the track was against him before.

His Ryanair win (when he was in ripe form) would be well below his KG level, and there is no evidence to suggest he will improve again, just for the return to Cheltenham. Age is all against him too.

Last edited:
Back