2016 Gold Cuppin

At preview tonight, Ricci states that if Walsh chooses Djakadam, Vautour will still run in Gold Cup. Horse is working OK, but no real spark - though didn't perk-up until 4 days before JLT last year. If isn't ready for GC, he will stay at home (whilst I will launch myself off the Dean Bridge).

If Vautour doesn't stay GC trip, they'll come back to win Ryanair in 2017 and 2018. Professes not to know who Walsh will select, but states "on class, it would be Vautour, on form (WTF?) you would choose Djakadam".

Last edited:
Kauto, I will do you the service on NOT mentioning the hilariously dismissive comments made about Don Plodder......however, if you keep this up......

:lol:

Naturally. He came within a length of it last year at 6, or does that not count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not doing this again.....last year's race has limited relevance to this year's race. If you think the 2015 Gold Cup was better form than the 2015 King George, then that's you perogative, and those of the medics who tend to all your needs.

;)

Last edited:
Work away Grassy. I've surely heard most of them. As long as none of them were from Mick O'Leary or Willie Mullins I'm fine with it.

You know Mick O'Leary don't ya, chief executive of RYANAIR!! :)

At preview tonight, Ricci states that if Walsh chooses Djakadam, Vautour will still run in Gold Cup. Horse is working OK, but no real spark - though didn't perk-up until 4 days before JLT last year. If isn't ready for GC, he will stay at home (whilst I will launch myself off the Dean Bridge).

If Vautour doesn't stay GC trip, they'll come back to win Ryanair in 2017 and 2018. Professes not to know who Walsh will select, but states "on class, it would be Vautour, on form (WTF?) you would choose Djakadam".

not exactly what you'd want to hear as a vautour backer. ricci generally not shy at being bullish over his horses (said douvan would carry uds on his back and win the champion chase at the same preview). must be a fair level of concern there.

Why be concerned? Vautour could be setting the Mullins gallop alight, and be ruled-out after stepping on a stone, the day before the race.

I went through this kind of heartache with Hurricane Fly in 2009 and 2010. I'm now always prepared for bad news, and see that imposter as the same thing as good news. What counts is getting your horse to the tape - nothing else matters. After that, it's down to the Gods. :cool:

I haven't even laced my boots yet, KA.

:lol:

Especially for you Grassy!! :)
1f58e1b5a2dfcbefbb451bc653499d68.jpg

Very astute, KA.

Vautour is just as fast, gets the trip, and 15kgs is going to result in everyone getting fu*cked over. ;)

Last edited:
And like Ryanair he'll drop you about 2.5f from where you'd like to get to!!! [emoji1]

Why be concerned? Vautour could be setting the Mullins gallop alight, and be ruled-out after stepping on a stone, the day before the race.

I went through this kind of heartache with Hurricane Fly in 2009 and 2010. I'm now always prepared for bad news, and see that imposter as the same thing as good news. What counts is getting your horse to the tape - nothing else matters. After that, it's down to the Gods. :cool:

the horse is likely going to need a career best to take this down. if he's not firing at home it's not exactly ideal. time left yet though.

He will undoubtedly need a career best. But guess which meeting he usually leaves all his other form behind?

PS. It's usually about 2.5f behind.

:whistle:

Mullins said he started trying to get up on Tuesday afternoon though, so it's not all roses.

Last edited:
Mullins wouldn't have a handicapper share a Gold Cup winners box, on the way back to Closutton.

This is turning into Grasshopper vs EC1 in the 2011 Champion Hurdle thread. Top fun.

Which one Ruby rides? IMVHO

1. Vautour....Unbeaten in 2 visits to the Festival easy winner of the Supreme Novices hurdle and winner of the JLT by 15 lengths

Unimpressive on his return at Ascot before stepping up in class and losing out by a short head in the King George.

Tied up in front when looking all over the winner which may have been due to Ruby making too much use of him, the times that day may indicate the ground being a bit holding with only Altior boasting a better time than the previous year. Or he simply did not stay.

2. Djackadam: 3 Visits to the course he has ended up on the floor twice but ran a good second to Coneygree in the Gold Cup as a 6 year old.
Perhaps not the best of Gold Cups but the Gold Cup nonetheless.

The betting odds on his return would indicate he might do well to beat his stable companion but he disposed of him with ease.

Returned to Cheltenham and travelling well when falling and injuring himslef. Injury must be considered a negative.

Suffered a huge defeat at the hands of Don Cossack some put down to him having a hard race in the Gold Cup.
Considering there was 7 weeks between races and he was having only his 4th race of the season that has to be considered doubtful.

Conclusion. Djakadams's 2nd to Don Cossack is probably as good as he is and a place is the best he can hope for.. Ruby should and most likely will take the gamble that Vautour will stay,

I'd feel myself, like the King George, there's way too much class in this years Gold Cup for anything to have it won before stamina becomes an issue. It's the best renewal in years in my opinion. Even better than Kauto/Denman because there's 4 or 5 top class animals here.

You had Djakadam travel into the last furlong or two like an absolute dream last year, Cue Card will match whatever Vautour will do and then the Dons will be bumped along but like Bobs Worth once they reach an even keel around the home turn you wouldn't like them bearing down on you with that hill in front of you!!

A touch of hyperbole - even better than Kauto Denman - bit of an insult to Neptune Collonges in his pomp and Exotic Dancer .

Coneygree would have won this again. Absolutely everything you want in a Gold Cup horse. Relentless, accurate jumping, stays and tough as you like.

Problem is horse after horse wins the GC and we are told it will or would have won again next year and they don't . He looked in good nick first time out but who knows what might have happened - the race is gruelling and it is no coincidence that only three horses have successfully defended their crowns since 1964 .

Back