2016 Gold Cuppin

Don Poli-Lazy
Don Cossack-course form,jumping,overrated
Cue Card-doubtful stayer
vautor-outstayed by one that won't stay
Djakadam-jumping
Smad place-out of depth
I haven't got the stamina of you lot (60+ pages - brilliant) but this sums it up nicely...(Edit - not sure Don C is overrated, but agree on course form)

For me it's just one of those races where it's impossible to have a massive view, so it will probably just be a sentimental punt on Cue Card and then sit back and enjoy

If playing from a purely financial perspetive, it would be backing Vautour with a healthy lay in running. He's sure to travel best, go short in play & will be a Brucie bonus IF he holds on

Last edited:
Conclusion. Djakadams's 2nd to Don Cossack is probably as good as he is and a place is the best he can hope for.

He was still in nappies at 6. So you are basically saying he has reached the ceiling of his ability!

Not a serious question surely? Comparing Vautour and Djakadam. If they think a horse that could win a Champion Chase or Champion Hurdle has a chance of getting the trip, would you get off him.
So this means Ruby riding him means Djak can't improve either :blink: if indeed he needs to.

My father passed away early Monday morning, buried on Wednesday. He was a lifelong racing fan, and the last thing he wrote down was "back Ruby in the gold cup"!

So what he chooses is now of huge significance in this house, even though I have been wanting to back Don Cossack all along!

Nah, Brendan.

Yer man took on Vautour in the Supreme, when I was up with the lark on that one, and he didn't switch onto Vautour until after the King George.

And he doesn't mention Hurricane Fly out-of-context even once.

:)

My father passed away early Monday morning, buried on Wednesday. He was a lifelong racing fan, and the last thing he wrote down was "back Ruby in the gold cup"!

So what he chooses is now of huge significance in this house, even though I have been wanting to back Don Cossack all along!

Really sorry to hear that, del boy. Hope you and the family are bearing up.

May he rest in Peace Del Boy. He'll have the best vantage point of us all for this years GC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry to hear that Del....gives the race a poignant significance for you

Podge always did know more about racing than you. A wise man.

He was still in nappies at 6. So you are basically saying he has reached the ceiling of his ability!

Absolutely not. What I am saying is I don't think the Gold Cup he finished 2nd in was anywhere near as competitive as what we are about to witness.

The likes of Jonjo took one look at it and said not this time Holywell and he scrapped the daft idea of running his novice in it.

I could see Vautour doing a Kauto Star but I just can't imagine Djakadam doing a Denman and running them into the ground.

I think he's too slow to be honest and Cue Card Vautour or Don Cossack would all to run below their best or not stay for him to win.

It could of course turn into a slog. It has before where a stamina laden horse just outstays a bunch of horses who burn themselves out.

I see Djakadam in that category along with Don Poli and Many Clouds and of that 3 I'd be with Don Poli.

Djakadam simply is not for me but good luck with him

i hate to state the obvious about this slow or fast hosses issue.....but ...fast horses win slow races..and slow horses win fast races

seeing as this is likely to be a fast race..then its a slow horse you need..one that sits away from the pace..then just keeps going at same pace whilst others slowly drop away

thats what the GC is to a degree..its a war of attrition..lets see who can keep going long enough at a decent pace...if you can't you drop back...last year being a prime example

Last edited:
these are the full splits comparing LR and CC

F1 – F4F4 – F7F7 – F10F10 – F13
Long Run60.4360.2869.6159.7756.9637.46
Cue Card59.9559.4070.4359.2058.9539.26

<tbody>
[TD="width: 79"] F13 – F16 [/TD]
[TD="width: 86"] F16 – FIN [/TD]

</tbody>

another comparison within them is

Long Run F1-F16 = 307.1
Cue Card F1-F16 = 307.9

Fence 17 to line was 1.8 seconds faster [9 lengths) by Long Run..on slower ground
EC, going back to page 27 when you were good enough to provide the above figures in support of your view of Cue Card and Vautour as non-stayers, how do you describe Kauto Star in 2011 who recorded approximate splits of
F1-F16 = 306 (F1-F7=120, F7-F13=129, F13-F16=57)
F16-Fin = 39
on going that was seemingly similar to 2015? The times are only from a youtube replay and the going and overall race time taken from the RP archive so it may well be that your detailed records show something different. I would still be interested in your interpretation. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back