2016 Gold Cuppin

The man enjoyed an essay or two now you come to mention it. He's changed his handle if it was Warbler.

Really nice post at top of this page from Grasshopper.

Sums up how this place is and should be.

Anyone with basic manners and who is willing to stake a strong opinion on something they are passionate about has merit.

Horses will make a fool of you one way or another eventually.

Enjoy the good days, live with the bad.

Have a great festival all and keep posting

Really nice post at top of this page from Grasshopper.

Sums up how this place is and should be.

Anyone with basic manners and who is willing to stake a strong opinion on something they are passionate about has merit.

Horses will make a fool of you one way or another eventually.

Enjoy the good days, live with the bad.

Have a great festival all and keep posting

fucku bollix breath. :D

I gave out some great stuff on Neigh - Foreman at treble figure prices for the Arkle about 7 months beforehand who finished third at 5/1. :)

Anyway, everyone seems to still be alive and kicking, that's the main thing! :)

I still havn't even been to Cheltenham, although next season I'm going to make a point of going, albeit to one of the quieter meetings.

Last edited:
Where is Paul, he's keeping very quiet for the week before the festival.
I try to stay away from it the week before Brian. Better not to scramble my brain while I'm ploughing through the handicaps.

On the previous point it was indeed Warbler posting under his own name Alun. Shame he fell out of love with it to be honest. To this day he doesn't realise how good the speed stuff he did with was with juveniles and novices. FWI I'm certain there's genuine value producing speed figures with novices and predicting them against normal levels of improvement. He was absolutely on to something. What was wrong was his staking plan and ignoring ew and place value. The ew or place betting approach is important because you can't accurately predict the improvement for absolutely everything.

If you read this Warbler, next season get your head back into gear and just focus on the area of jumps where you definitely had an angle. 2 mile juveniles and novices, and forget everything else.

yes..times are a very good pointer to the anorak novice hurdle time watcher..but don't tell everyone Maruco..i prefer people to ignore time altogether..most do anyway..boring nonsense to most people..see responses on here from many..once a punter sets his stall out how he reads a race,,,he won't change his mind....same with opinion of a race just watched..once its gone in during and just after a race....its set in stone in punters head,,he will never change his mind no matter what..particularly if time is involved in trying to persuade otherwise. I've seen it so many times...if clerk of course says its Good ground..thats what will be taken as gospel from the time its reported.

hence there is edge in doing times..99% of punters will ignore them....thats good news..each time i see people dismiss it out of hand the happier i am. If we all did em..there would be no point. Even if you only use the ground speed knowledge you gain..you have an edge as most punters treat heavy ground as the same when its not...they trust the form book ground descriptions..when on many occasions they are blatantly wrong..but still believe them...same thing..once seen.. mind is made up and won't accept an alternative view...therein lies the only edge an anorak has...the fact most punters think its nonsense..time is only important in jail etc

Times are for sad old f00kers like me..long may it continue:)

Last edited:
I saw Mullins worked about a dozen horses on the Curragh yesterday. Djakdam was amongst them but Vautour was not.

Do the rest (presumably including Vautour)work today, and is it today that Walsh said he expected to confirm who he will ride in the Gold Cup?

Gold Cuppin

Grassy I saw this too but didn't post anything because you'd have the oh you're drowning comments again!!

He worked Don Poli & On his own there too so I'm not sure why Vautour wasn't there to be honest. Annie Power had a spin around too. It was Friday they went. The missus cousin said Townend was on Don, Ruby on Djack & Patrick was on On His Own. All went very well he said.

I remember reading a week or so ago Ruby saying he'd make his mind up who he'd ride after they both worked at the Curragh a week before the race so that was the original plan anyway.

The Don at the Curragh
4b09e4de04980c70008e0eef42dc388d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In the Curragh you have to go a nice bit across to get to the actual gallops. I'd say between that & the actual gallop they probably thought he wouldn't stay. [emoji3]

Bit too much for him in the one day!! [emoji6]

a nod to the much missed nick mordin

"Since 1989 four of the 11 RSA winners to run in the next year's Gold Cup scored. Three of the six that won took the RSA after less than a dozen lifetime starts, which is what Lord Windermere achieved last year.
so add one to this for a pointer to the chances on - Don Poli a Vautour fan myself but cant get the horse One Man out of my mind showing my age here and the mystery he was till he ran in the gold cup ps just like to say how much i like this forum and the posts here from the likes of ec1 and other great to get the speed guys views and views of others so a big thanks from me

Last edited:
In the Curragh you have to go a nice bit across to get to the actual gallops. I'd say between that & the actual gallop they probably thought he wouldn't stay. [emoji3]

Bit too much for him in the one day!! [emoji6]

I am looking forward to Friday evening, KA. ;)

I've finally nailed my colours to the mast after watching last seasons Melling Chase and Punchestown Gold Cup. On good ground and if he turns up in the same form I can't see Don Cossack being beat. Also having watched a good selection of his races over fences I'd say the key to him is good ground and he's a stone better than on something more testing, and capable of running to a rating that only Vautour could better.

With the nagging doubts I have about V staying off a championship pace I reckon Don Cossack should be shorter than he currently is and should be clear favourite. I'll hold off until Ruby finally commits but the Willie/Ruby axis will make DC a much better price than he really should be. I'd still back him at 3s and I reckon he'll be 5's on the day.

I''ll go with Don Cossack..i have to really spouting him capable of being a 180 hoss after last season..other two hosses i got similar were Coneygree + Vautour..one don't run and other..needs to be in ryanair:)..have i mentioned that before:)

so its the Don for me..get my KG 20 quid stake back and some...hopefully

I''ll go with Don Cossack..i have to really spouting him capable of being a 180 hoss after last season..other two hosses i got similar were Coneygree + Vautour..one don't run and other..needs to be in ryanair:)..have i mentioned that before:)

so its the Don for me..get my KG 20 quid stake back and some...hopefully
EC have you done the times and ground for the Melling Chase and Punchestown Gold Cup last season?

My visual take for both was that those performances are perfect for how I expect the Gold Cup to be run, but I'd be interested in your view if you have one? A replica would surely mean he's capable of running close to 180, and for me only Vautour could possibly do that if he does indeed stay? None of the others have that in their locker in my opinion.

Cheers.

Back