2016 Gold Cuppin

Vautour for me. I think RTR is interesting for a place, as he'll have his ground this year and doesn't want for stamina. 16/1 is overpriced for a close third last year.

EC have you done the times and ground for the Melling Chase and Punchestown Gold Cup last season?

My visual take for both was that those performances are perfect for how I expect the Gold Cup to be run, but I'd be interested in your view if you have one? A replica would surely mean he's capable of running close to 180, and for me only Vautour could possibly do that if he does indeed stay? None of the others have that in their locker in my opinion.

Cheers.

The Melling Chase was truly run ..99.3% finish... and thats where i got 180 SF for DC

From the Racing Post.

Cheltenham Festival: Walsh struggling to split Timico Gold Cup pair.

"Vautour will be better left-handed and has been phenomenal around Cheltenham," Walsh said. "I should have held on more in the King George and if it had been left-handed he would have won.
"He has unbelievable ability, but at Kempton - though nobody seems to have spotted it - he was jumping just a bit left-handed. That's two fences going away from the stands and four down the back when I had to fractionally break his stride - six times in all.
"I could never let fly with him because I had to haul him back all the time. It made a big difference."

Don't dismiss Djakadam
On his last start Djakadam fell when odds-on to win his Gold Cup trial at Cheltenham in January, but ran a mighty race 12 months ago behind Coneygree.
Walsh is a fan of the seven-year-old's stamina, and added: "By God it was some performance from him. He's a big horse, although he doesn't look as big as he is - but he's over 17 hands.
"He was off the bridle three out but he never flinched, never flinched for a second. He's in very good nick and will definitely stay every yard of three and a quarter miles."

Last edited:
The Melling Chase was truly run ..99.3% finish... and thats where i got 180 SF for DC
Its whether he can replicate 180 over the trip I'm interested in. If he ran equivalent fractions at Punchestown you'd have to say he's pretty solid for the Gold Cup, on what will likely be the best ground he's encountered since last season.

i haven't got Punchestown ones M..only started doing them in earnest this season on a day to day basis..have historicals for of Cheltenham/ Kempton etc..some Irish stuff..mainly early season races like morganna...work in progress. When big meets come up now i tend to have a week looking at them historically..will be giving Aintree the treatment next.

Last edited:
Grassy I saw this too but didn't post anything because you'd have the oh you're drowning comments again!!

He worked Don Poli & On his own there too so I'm not sure why Vautour wasn't there to be honest. Annie Power had a spin around too. It was Friday they went. The missus cousin said Townend was on Don, Ruby on Djack & Patrick was on On His Own. All went very well he said.

I remember reading a week or so ago Ruby saying he'd make his mind up who he'd ride after they both worked at the Curragh a week before the race so that was the original plan anyway.

The Don at the Curragh
4b09e4de04980c70008e0eef42dc388d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone should tell him Friday flying is against the rules :D

Vautour to the Ryanair. Ricci just dropped a bombshell on morning line.

I can hear grassy puke!!

It has been an endless line in bullsh*it from connections.

"It's Gold Cup or nothing"
"We expect a huge run"
"He goes to Ryanair as he is only 90% fit"

Massively disappointed that they have treated the betting public with such open contempt.

I agree there grass. They have spouted **** all along. Ruby's comment about bending Mullins ear for him to run in GC probably the only bit of truth. You can be sure he was all along.

Sense has been seen by connections

he's a speed horse and should be running in the QMCC, now we have another f****** race that we can't bet in

they should rename the Ryanair chase as the s***house chase:mad:

I must say, this is completely shocking news. And in a sense, that doesn't reflect well on connections.

Nothing we've heard from them in recent days, weeks and months has even hinted at Vautour going for the Ryanair.

It's a sensible decision with all the doubts. No prisoners in the Gold Cup again this year. They'll come over for the Cotswold Chase next year and find out.

i reckon it was Ruby who was adamant about the Gold Cup and the doubts have crept in over the last few days. Not least with AP seriously in his ear.

I must say, this is completely shocking news. And in a sense, that doesn't reflect well on connections.

Nothing we've heard from them in recent days, weeks and months has even hinted at Vautour going for the Ryanair.
Bloody hell JJ, is that you?! Where have you been hiding since the demise of Neigh?

Back