Annie Power

Shes by Shirocco who was a very good 11-12f performer whose best progeny are winning over 10f plus on the Flat. His winners to runners over jumps is 43% which is pretty damn good and he is producing quality such as AP & Red Sherlock. Her dam won at Listed level on the flat and is by Old Vic (another stamina influence). So from a Flat point of view, yes its a staying pedigree which should translate over hurdles (I always maintain that you need to stay 1m on the Flat to get 2m over hurdles and 1m4f on the Flat to get 3m over hurdles - but there are always exceptions to the rule!! And really it can depend on how they settle during race). What is important is that it is a pretty quality page from the point of view of black type performers on the level. So she has the class.
This is the pedigree of a half sister sold in 2010 so you can see the dam's side.
http://docs.tattersalls.com/cat/december/foals/2010/902.pdf

Last edited:
Shes by Shirocco who was a very good 11-12f performer whose best progeny are winning over 10f plus on the Flat. His winners to runners over jumps is 43% which is pretty damn good and he is producing quality such as AP & Red Sherlock. Her dam won at Listed level on the flat and is by Old Vic (another stamina influence). So from a Flat point of view, yes its a staying pedigree which should translate over hurdles (I always maintain that you need to stay 1m on the Flat to get 2m over hurdles and 1m4f on the Flat to get 3m over hurdles - but there are always exceptions to the rule!! And really it can depend on how they settle during race). What is important is that it is a pretty quality page from the point of view of black type performers on the level. So she has the class.
This is the pedigree of a half sister sold in 2010 so you can see the dam's side.
http://docs.tattersalls.com/cat/december/foals/2010/902.pdf

Thanks a mill for this Jinnyj

No Shirocco has won over 3 mile...she has shown a distinct liking for heavy ground.... She has a lot of speed, all negatives for 3 miles round cheltenham on good ground travelling half a stride faster all the way...problem is if she don't stay she don't place either

Will she settle ? She was very buzzy at Donny - if the Nicholls quartet play around with the pace there could be trouble for her.

Last edited:
I think so. She's powerful but looks perfectly malleable.

In receipt of 7lbs all I can say is, Big Bucks is going to have to improve plenty from his reappearance to beat her. I want her to run in the CH though.

Max, only one Shirocco has run over 3m+ and that was only once. So a sample size of one. Not really relevant. Shirocco has had a winner over 2m7f over hurdles though. Close enough? :D

Last edited:
The biggest plus has got to be that she has Ruby on board and he will know what it takes to beat Big Bucks.

The biggest plus has got to be that she has Ruby on board and he will know what it takes to beat Big Bucks.

Except of course apart from the Cleeve nobody ever beat Big Buck's no matter how they tried to do it .

Bigger worry for me is not that he is aboard Annie Power but that Sam TD is on Big Buck's - talented as he is there are too many rushes of blood to the head with this rider . I would have gone for Geraghty once it was clear Ruby and AP were not available as NH was never likely to have had a runner.

I wonder what the view would have been , however, had that thunderstorm not hit Cheltenham turning the ground utterly bottomless and Big Buck's had won the Cleeve rather than just being edged out giving weight ?

It all depends . If he is the horse he was - then for all her talent I suspect she would hit the brick wall he has been to so many highly touted pretenders after the last . The question is how good is he still ?

I'm not sure we know how good she is either though. Nothing's really tested her yet.

Fair enough but to be frank Zarkandar has been nowhere near his best this season. On last year's form he should have made a much bigger fight of it with TNO and pasted Melodic Rendezvous and the only horse with any hope on form of giving her a race at Donny fell two out .

She has never been tried in a proper all aged Grade 1 .

That's a massive plus, she's also unbeaten and obviously very classy .....

On my dosage charts she slots in amongst a perfect nest of 2 1/2 milers, she has exactly the same dosage as Female, there is one or two 3 milers around but they all have professional points.

Most, nearly all Stayers hurdle winners have dosage points in the Proffesional box, Annie has none..

Last edited:
I know. That's my point. Whether ot Zarkandar is or isn't in form, she still beat him easily and hasn't been properly tested yet so could be anything still.

I hope she's a superstar.

Edit: forgot to quote Ardross so this post looks like the ramblings of a mad man

Last edited:
Ruby said she nearly knocked over Alice Plunkett at Cheltenham New Years Day when other horses walked past the finishing post.
Make of that what you will re stamina.

Alice could well be safe after 3 miles round cheltenham, it just might tire her...only the race itself will tell us for sure.

Ruby said she nearly knocked over Alice Plunkett at Cheltenham New Years Day when other horses walked past the finishing post.
Make of that what you will re stamina.

Oscar Whisky has cantered past the post over 2m 4f at Cheltenham a hatful of times including in the mud but doesn't get 3 miles in a million years .

Will Pont Alexandre go chasing?

Pont Alexandre, Ballycasey, Champagne Fever, Djakadam, Annie Power and any of the other hurdlers they decide to send chasing - crikey, some team.

Last edited:
She needs it softer and won't settle to stay the trip . Big Bucks and Celestial Halo for me.

Last edited:
Coupled with that add tactics to 'undo' AP. PN has 3 horses in the race -enough to make things difficult for AP to have a clear run at the race.

Back