Annie Power

Surprised the horse has not been taken out of the bookmakers lists yet for the CH judging by Oddschecker, still being quoted at single figure odds some xxx amount of time after the news?

Last edited:
All couched in Mullins " at the moment the plan is speak " allowing him to pull her out if Quevega does not make it or something happens to HF

Last edited:
be interesting to see how they all do. mullins doesn't seem to have quite the success with chasers as he does with his hurdlers.

Gold Cups are not that easily come by !
He was (it could be said ) too soft on Florida Pearl, treating him like royalty as a Gold Cup horse. He went for RSA after only 2 chases, 4 races in all which may have been a mistake as the race bottomed him.
I remember after FP winning 2m3f Handicap from Amberleigh House WPM saying it was no harm for the horse to get "down and dirty "
I posted previously that he might well have campaigned the horse differently if he had him now .
running Mikael D Haguenet in a Grade 1 Chase first time out shagged his chasing career.
Noel Chance trained 2 GC winners in 5 years with very limited stock and had to quit as a trainer for lack of patronage !
Funny old world !

In the post war period up to 1977, the year of Davy Lad, Irish stables won the Gold Cup 15 times and only 4 times since.

In the period 1945 to 1977 there were 4 Irish wins in the Champion Hurdle, includings a hat trick for Hatton's Grace, but there have been 13 wins since.

Swings and roundabouts or something more structural?

What was the last Gold Cup winner to have won a bumper?

Good point.

But also, are as many making the transition from top hurdles to top chasers as before? More often likely to underwhelm as set the world alight. I have a bit of a view that the more exposure they have to racing over hurdles (and later in age too) the less comfortably they progress to chases.

Theres a probably divergence in breeding too. Chasing types and flat breds. More polarised now perhaps?

Was talking to a friend today about Annie Power...

He said " She's bred to stay" ....... I thought it had been said on here before that there was no suggestion of that in her breeding?

Can anyone confirm?

Back