Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

I’ve taken the 12/1 about Soldiers Call for the Abbaye.

2 Year olds don’t tend to do well in this race, though not too many try, but in comfortably winning the Flying Childers Soldiers Call posted the best 5f performance by a 2yo colt for over a decade based on RP ratings and the best in this race in over 20 years.

There’s a slight concern he’ll miss the race and go straight to the BC but Watson suggested after Donny that he’d take in one or both races and the WFA would make France very tempting.

Battaash sets a high bar but he’ll have to be at the top of his game to concede 18lb to Soldiers Call.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/no-...sy-as-stack-plots-ayr-gold-cup-mission/346296

Has won a premier handicap off 103. Gets into Ayr off 101 with his new mark being 111. He has to go off 5/1 or there about.

But surely he'll have a penalty (5lbs? 7lbs?) to contend with too. I must admit I'd never heard of him so I was a wee bit taken aback when I checked him out last night. He was rated a bit higher than 101 in the past so he's very likely a season+-long plot to get him in here off a nice weight. There may well be several such plots in the race, though; there usually are. I'd venture that, since he's an Irish raider, he'll go off closer to 9/4. I reckon people like Chapman will howl about him through the Morning Line (or whatever it's called these days) and muppet after muppet will follow the money.

I wouldn't rule out my being one of his backers but it wouldn't be anything to do with other influences. However, I'm much more like to take the stubborn approach and oppose him cos I've missed the 25s :rolleyes:

He can't get a penalty for finishing 2nd!

You haven't missed 25/1. There is a lot of new information. We now know that he runs and we also know that he is officially 10lbs well in. 8/1 is a fair price.

I must have misread the form. I thought he won the other day. I see he was 'only' second.

The ground is likely to be heavy by Saturday. It was abandoned last year. Could lightning strike twice, to use a clumsy metaphor?

I havent yet, though Muntadab could place if dropped in trip for Saturday, (he keeps going out like a lightbulb a furlong from home over 7F).

Shortening up all the time, 33's and 40's into 20's and 16's now. Backed it myself today aswell. Should find out if Mafaaheem runs at Ayr this Saturday tomorrow.

Last edited:
He shortened up today because Paul Kealy headlined him in his Weekender piece.

I might end up having some sickness insurance on him having punted him at least twice this season. I wouldn't punt him without good reason.

Last edited:
Mafaaheem declared for 4:15 at Ayr on Saturday. I have just backed him for The Cambridgeshire in the hope he wins this Saturday and the seven day break is enough for him to take in The Cambridgeshire.

Last edited:
It looks like I've found the horse with the 'interesting' profile potentially for the Cambridgeshire in a fortnight. He was beaten at short odds in some maiden races, but is possibly being laid out for a big handicap. The horse is Hamdan Al Maktoum owned, trained by Owen Burrows, called Mafaaheem, currently priced at 25/1. He's also entered in The Dubai Duty Free at Newbury next Saturday, so I will keep an eye out for which race he is declared for, before emptying what I have left in my betting account on him. As mentioned previously, I have noticed a few of the winners of showcase handicaps from this and last season, (2016/17 & 2017/18), found bags of improvement after being gelded, often after disappointing in maiden races, and having changed trainers. Mafaaheem fits the profile nicely.

This.

I hope a load come out at next declaration stage, I really do. The only reason he is still big prices is that he is 54th in the weights. The ground looked very heavy today, they pulled away from the third, that's his second win on heavy ground too. Soft/heavy ground obviously not a problem for him. See what trainer says...

Last edited:
Joel Stakes next Friday. Beat the Bank carries a penalty and Mushastry won a poor race last time out. Regal Reality is too big at 11/2 - didn't handle the ground at Haydock lto

Sun Chariot. Laurens is a bit of a public horse nowadays and she's high class at 10f but think she's vulnerable over a mile. The Matron didn't take as much winning as perceived and she's one to take on. The French have a great record in this race and With You is the bet. She ran on again after being headed by Alpha C and Recoletos in the Marois and I hope she isn't asked to lead in this. 6/1 very fair.

I'll be looking very closely at whatever John Gosden runs in the Cambs.

I thought maybe he was trying to get Stylehunter a penalty yesterday to get him up the weights but the rain put paid to that. If he has anything else lined up for the race it must be taken very seriously. A 5lb penalty would have taken him from 52 in the list to about 25 and got him straight in. Gosden also has Wissahickon and Tricorn (same owner as Stylehunter) safely making the cut.

I hope a load come out at next declaration stage, I really do. The only reason he is still big prices is that he is 54th in the weights. The ground looked very heavy today, they pulled away from the third, that's his second win on heavy ground too. Soft/heavy ground obviously not a problem for him. See what trainer says...
32 on the list now, seems to have gone up to 99 in the ratings, or is carrying a four pound penalty?

Last edited:
I presumed the Silver Cambs was for ones that didn't make the final field for the main event therefore being taken out of the latter would mean being taken out of the former.

Is the Silver race a completely separate entity?

Conditions, from RP:
race conditions £50,000 guaranteed For 3yo+ which were declared to run, but which were eliminated at the 48 hour declaration stage from the 2018 Cambridgeshire

Anyone care to give an assessment of Mordin, (the horse not the man!). I am looking through the list trying to find the one to be on e/w. Mordin has been second about five times in lesser handicaps from what I can see. Wonder if they will stick some headgear on...

Had a rare ante-post bet in the Cambridgeshire on Afaak (25/1 1/4 5 places - Bet 365) Followed up his staying-on Royal Hunt Cup 2nd with an unlucky 4th in a valuable 10f h/c at Glorious. Then proved one-paced when dropped back 2f on faster ground at York, and then ran in a small field egg & spoon race which had all the hallmarks of a warm-up run (wrong at the weights, and a highly predictable slow pace). Looked a deffo runner as soon as he was taken out of the 1m gp2 at the meeting this Friday.

Had a rare ante-post bet in the Cambridgeshire on Afaak (25/1 1/4 5 places - Bet 365) Followed up his staying-on Royal Hunt Cup 2nd with an unlucky 4th in a valuable 10f h/c at Glorious. Then proved one-paced when dropped back 2f on faster ground at York, and then ran in a small field egg & spoon race which had all the hallmarks of a warm-up run (wrong at the weights, and a highly predictable slow pace). Looked a deffo runner as soon as he was taken out of the 1m gp2 at the meeting this Friday.

Does look good value and is on my shortlist along with Original Choice.need to study form for once.

If you fancy Afaak you should probably have a saver on What's The Story. Only a neck behind him in fourth place in The Royal Hunt Cup, clearly What's The Story's best run to date. Another big field and fiercesome pace should be right up his street. He should never be a 40/1 chance.

Last edited:
You're probably right, Marble, but I reckon he'll be 40/1 on the day and there will be other incentives available that aren't there now.

No doubt I'll have three or four longshots in the race during the day! He might be one of them.

Back