Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

I Trackered this myself after your recent post on the horse, I wouldn't be confident about him making the cut for the Ces but we all the know the trainers reputation so he's definitely worth keeping an eye on wherever he turns up.

Newcross has been entered in the Irish Ceserewitch a day after its English equivalent on the Sunday. He is certainly higher up the list to get in, No. 45 I believe, so if I had to punt him now I would definitely turn my attention towards Navan. See how they price them up.

Last edited:
I like the look of Cliffs Of Capri in The Challenge Cup this Saturday. This has good course form, having won a class 3 here at Ascot in July, was then a staying in fifth behind Ripp Orf. He does look one of the better handicapped horses in the field and looks open to plenty of progress. Seems like Jamie Osborne has two good cards to play with him having Raising Sand in the race aswell.
Runs in the amateurs tomorrow, Ascot 4:45, should be hard to beat.

Imagine what he would have done to The Challenge Field tomorrow carrying about two stone less.

Last edited:
I may have an anti post bet on William Haggas's Canford Heights for The Old Rowley Cup next week. He beat a horse back into third that I mentioned last week on the 'what are you backing thread', called Fannie By Gaslight, who I reckon is an excellent yardstick. Canford Heights just has the one entry, in The Old Rowley Cup, and could remain a fair bit ahead of the handicapper. There is quite a bit of disparity in terms of odds available, with some firms happy to offer 16/1, but with Hills only 10/1.

Shortening up all the time this horse.

Newcross has been entered in the Irish Ceserewitch a day after its English equivalent on the Sunday. He is certainly higher up the list to get in, No. 45 I believe, so if I had to punt him now I would definitely turn my attention towards Navan. See how they price them up.

See if he makes the cut in either Cesarewitch later this week. A good win would be a lovely way to close out the season. I still feel he is much more likely to turn up at Navan, as there is no realistic way he can make the cut from 80 at Newmarket. He should be 33/1 minimum just to get in, let alone win. I literally have two more flat bets to place this season, Newcross, (wherever he shows up), plus the aforementioned Canford Heights in The Old Rowley Cup this Friday.

Last edited:
See if he makes the cut in either Cesarewitch later this week. A good win would be a lovely way to close out the season. I still feel he is much more likely to turn up at Navan, as there is no realistic way he can make the cut from 80 at Newmarket. He should be 33/1 minimum just to get in, let alone win. I literally have two more flat bets to place this season, Newcross, (wherever he shows up), plus the aforementioned Canford Heights in The Old Rowley Cup this Friday.

Canford Height runs in another race on Friday, not.the Old Rowley Cup. If I am right about Fannie By Gaslight being an excellent yardstick, then Canford Heights will be hard to beat. Also will find out what happens with Newcross tomorrow. I was watching his last race where he was so unlucky in running to only finish second. If he had more luck that day, then who knows, he would now be on the perfect mark, (85-ish), to get in, but as it stands, I make it 75/25 him not making the cut for Newmarket. He needs loads to come out. In the event he miraculously gets in, expect his odds to shorten sharply and.subsantially though.

Last edited:
Canford Height runs in another race on Friday, not.the Old Rowley Cup. If I am right about Fannie By Gaslight being an excellent yardstick, then Canford Heights will be hard to beat. Also will find out what happens with Newcross tomorrow. I was watching his last race where he was so unlucky in running to only finish second. If he had more luck that day, then who knows, he would now be on the perfect mark, (85-ish), to get in, but as it stands, I make it 75/25 him not making the cut for Newmarket. He needs loads to come out. In the event he miraculously gets in, expect his odds to shorten sharply and.subsantially though.
Navan Sunday hopefully now.

Last edited:
You know you either have a gambling problem, fancy a horse really seriously, or are just a self serving arsehole, that when a storm hits England and Ireland leaving 30,000 families without power, your only concern is what effect it will have on the going conditions at Navan on Sunday for the anti -post favourite Newcross who wants good ground.

Last edited:
Newcross is in the Irish Cesarewitch on Sunday. Carries 8:4. I'd prefer that soft or heavy doesn't appear in the going description, as he has improved on good ground, but other than that, he won't get beat. Trust me.

Last edited:
Newcross is in for The Irish Cesarewitch on Sunday. Carries 8:4. I'd prefer soft or heavy doesnt appear in the going description, as he has improved on good ground, but other than that, he won't get beat. Trust me.

I remember the last time someone said trust me.......do we do a tony martin cesarewitdch double then...golden spear and newcross.

Golden Spear must have an each way chance, in the same ownership as Newcross, though I believe Newcross has the better chance in terms of odds and probability.

For my lucky 15 I am doing Willie Mullins trained Uradel. I fancy he will run well.

Last edited:
According to The Racing Post the ground is yielding at Navan today, which should be fine for Newcross. He picked up well on yielding the.last day, albeit in a lesser race.

Last edited:
One more Handicap this season to anaylise, which is the Balmoral Handicap this Saturday. John Gosdens Laugh Aloud is catching my eye, having been rated quite highly after a Group Three win last season. He has dropped quite a bit in the handicap from a career high mark of 110, so could run well again back in a handicap (on 101). He is 33/1 with Ladbrokes and Corals as I type. I will probably have a decent bet on him, but will wait until later in the week, as don't want to lose stake money if he doesn't run.

Last edited:
The "Foxy Bingo Fur Ever Friends Handicap" at Chester on Saturday looks an interesting betting heat.

Mark's Johnston's pair head the market. Lake Volta ran well the last day. Poets Society won at 20/1 at York.
I guess the question is: How reliable are those two horses? Both in terms of maintaining that high level of form that they showed last time and carrying their respective weights. I'm prepared to take them both on, with AL ERAYG, at 16/1 with Boylesports. This former Qatar-owned horse, scored on his first career start in 2016 over at Maisons Laffitte, when beating the formerly trained Andre Fabre horse Repercussion (rated 101). Al Erayg was then beaten a shortish odds a couple of times in 2017 in France, before leaving F-H Graffards yard for Tim Easterby's (after being gelded). This is his first start for Tim Easterby. He's been off the track for 390 days, but showed he can win first time out in France, and is on an exploitable mark (93). I'll be having more on in terms of stake than I usually would.

This is overpriced today, (Musselburgh 3:20). Worth another go.

One more Handicap this season to anaylise, which is the Balmoral Handicap this Saturday. John Gosdens Laugh Aloud is catching my eye, having been rated quite highly after a Group Three win last season. He has dropped quite a bit in the handicap from a career high mark of 110, so could run well again back in a handicap (on 101). He is 33/1 with Ladbrokes and Corals as I type. I will probably have a decent bet on him, but will wait until later in the week, as don't want to lose stake money if he doesn't run.

LA is a mare and that high rating came as a result of a win in a females' Listed race at Goodwood which she then backed up at odds-on in a weak G3 [females] race. She may have gone wrong after that as she missed her next engagement and then the rest of the season and didn't reappear until last month so well over a year off. Her reappearance was certainly promising but she has appeared to go backwards since then, restricted all the time to F&M races. In fact, she's only ever raced once against colts and that was in a Class 4 juvenile maiden race.

It may be that they've realised she isn't going to win a decent black type race any more so they've been getting her mark down for a big handicap but it looks to me like she's out of love with the game. Having said that, she'll be on my radar purely because of the difference between her old and current ratings plus she'd be a Godolphin-in-a-handicap, which would always interest me, but any interest in a bet will be held off until the day.

Interesting. I ment to correct my comments, on her being a mare. Thanks for your feedback.

Back