Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Soaring Glory looks overpriced for the handicap hurdle at Ascot on Saturday. Sure he was bad lto but small field nonsense races are obviously not his bag. A few of the market leaders come from the Greatwood but I thought that wasn't a good renewal.

Metier was pulled up the last day, yet he has been entered for this, (or still entered up at the 6 day stage).

If it comes up soft or heavy I may well give him one more go. He was a class act most of last season. I will hold off until final decs though plus I hope I can get 20/1 nearer the time.

He's young enough and lightly raced enough to turn his recent poor form around.

Last edited:
You're a good judge, Euro, but I don't think nowadays there's anything other than a good renewal of the Greatwood.

We've had this discussion before. The Betfair Hurdle that Pic D'Orhy won I remember having a position that I thought it was a bad renewal and you countered there was no such thing. You may be right but the Greatwood used to provide Champion Hurdle contenders. I dunno, I just feel a 147 rated 4yo finishing second - just have my doubts. And last season's betfair Hurdle that Soaring Glory won - Edwardstone, Guard your Dreams, Buzz in behind - that is rock solid.

Speaking of poor renewals of oftentimes good races, the Silver Cup Handicap Chase at Ascot on Saturday. The ante-post list last week had Remastered and Demachine both in the lists but they were not left in at the 5 day stage. What you have heading the market are:
Belami de Pictons - a Venetia 10 yo actually fav. I mean, we all know her horses attract money whoever they are but come on.
Cloth Cap - horrendously handicapped and ground/track both a negative
Regal Encore. OAP

I actually like Grand Sancy for this. His mark has plummeted and he ran a fine race lto at Newbury considering he was keen early and jumped poorly in the main. No question he's well handicapped now. 6/1 is a bit tight but the opposition is very lukewarm.

Disappointed you're not going over the cliff with Jerrysback again, Euro. ;)

Remastered left in the Tommy Whittle at the 5-day stage - arguably an even better race historically than the Silver Cup, but one which is a pale imitation of its former glories these days.

Last edited:
Speaking of poor renewals of oftentimes good races, the Silver Cup Handicap Chase at Ascot on Saturday. The ante-post list last week had Remastered and Demachine both in the lists but they were not left in at the 5 day stage. What you have heading the market are:
Belami de Pictons - a Venetia 10 yo actually fav. I mean, we all know her horses attract money whoever they are but come on.
Cloth Cap - horrendously handicapped and ground/track both a negative
Regal Encore. OAP

I actually like Grand Sancy for this. His mark has plummeted and he ran a fine race lto at Newbury considering he was keen early and jumped poorly in the main. No question he's well handicapped now. 6/1 is a bit tight but the opposition is very lukewarm.

I have got my eye on Henry Daly's Fortescue for Ascot, although he too is entered in the Tommy Whittle. So he can't be backed until dec'd for one race.

He was very respectable 7th at Newbury and overall he looks worth his mark of 137. He knows how to win as he's 5/11 over fences. I am sure someone mentioned him for Newbury, was it DO?

Maybe he has a view on him.

Last edited:
We've had this discussion before. The Betfair Hurdle that Pic D'Orhy won I remember having a position that I thought it was a bad renewal and you countered there was no such thing. You may be right but the Greatwood used to provide Champion Hurdle contenders. I dunno, I just feel a 147 rated 4yo finishing second - just have my doubts. And last season's betfair Hurdle that Soaring Glory won - Edwardstone, Guard your Dreams, Buzz in behind - that is rock solid.

Yes, I just think when there's mega-money on offer the form is never bad. Why it might not subsequently stand up too well could be down to umpteen factors, not least bottoming contenders. But most trainers know the time of day and tend to send their best-handicapped horses to these races so only the very best-handicapped win. It doesn't mean they're a champion in the making, just under-estimated at that moment in time.

I think Pic D'Orhy was about to show what a top class animal he is when he fell at Newbury the other week, albeit in a novice chase but I accept that the other runners' subsequent form is patchy.

I have got my eye on Henry Daly's Fortescue for Ascot, although he too is entered in the Tommy Whittle. So he can't be backed until dec'd for one race.

He was very respectable 7th at Newbury and overall he looks worth his mark of 137. He knows how to win as he's 5/11 over fences. I am sure someone mentioned him for Newbury, was it DO?

Maybe he has a view on him.

Yes, I put him up as a value longshot that day but I reckon it showed his limitations. His chances this weekend will depend on the strength of the rest of the field, which I'll get round to checking on Thursday or Friday.

Annsam might be interesting in the Coole Cody colours. Had some nice form in novices last year before two runs back over hurdles this season. His shrewd trainer might have had this in mind all along.

What about Phoenix Way?
Fourth in a novice chase at Aintree last season behind Protektorat, The Shunter and Hitman, when stepping up in trip to 2M4F for the first time.

That looks a better effort all the time, especially for a horse now entered over three miles. He must be a work in progress..lowered 4lb in the handicap now after his seasonal reappearance to a chase mark of 140. He is well handicapped if he is ready to rock and roll, imho.

Last edited:
Ah fair enough. Well I doubt he will be in anymore novice chases from now on.

Handicap chases is where he should be.

Admittedly a leap of faith required from the last day, a similiar thing applies to Metier in the hurdle who was pulled up the last day.

Their prices compensate for that though.

Trainer comments and perhaps a positive bulletin on them both beforehand from Harry Fry would be decent

Certainly give me more of a reason to back them.

Last edited:
Up to now I have been mainly Honeysuckle Honeysuckle Honeysuckly Honeysuckle Honesuckle and Protektorat

However with Jonbon due out in Friday if he hacks up I expect he'll go to 2/1 or 5/2 but they wont make Constituation longer and may just shorten him a little too, as they so often do.

I think a 13/8 dutch may be one of the banker bets of the festival so I am going in again

Admittedly a leap of faith required from the last day, a similiar thing applies to Metier in the hurdle who was pulled up the last day.

Their prices compensate for that though.

Trainer comments and perhaps a positive bulletin on them both beforehand from Harry Fry would be decent

Certainly give me more of a reason to back them.

I was all over Metier like a rash last time and was seriously disappointed. I think I put on the horses to note thread that I felt the jockey deliberately put the brakes on going to two out so I have to back him in this more valuable race on the assumption that the other week was a sighter for this target.

That said, I'm not sure Harry Fry could train rabbits to breed. He's in the same class as Ben Pauling for me.

Final decs for Saturday should be coming through tomorrow.

Hoping to see these three declared in these races as I will do a decent each way patent if so.

Tommy Whittle - Empire Steel
Silver Cup - Phoenix Way
The big handicap hurdle - Metier

I will be back in my home city of London this weekend. Celebrating the christmas in style. Hoping for some good results on the racing too. I will be watching from my Bed and Breakfast LOL.

Last edited:
Lol i am sure my BnB will provide me with a fry up on Saturday morning too. Listening to you I might need the last rights. :)

I will be down the Angel Islington Saturday night trying to find a future wife...

Last edited:
Lol i am sure my BnB will provide me with a fry up on Saturday morning too. Listening to you I might need the last rights. :)

I will be down the Angel Islington Saturday night trying to find a future wife...

Is it grab a granny night mate.

Every night is a grab a granny night, Outsider. :)

If I get out of London not in a body bag from Omicron I'll have done well!

I had my third booster jab tonight, pfizer made, but no hard-on to speak of up to now..

Last edited:

If the breakfast's good - marry her! :D

A 4 month out Supreme Novice dutch at 13/8 without an Irish horse is your idea of the banker bet of the festival Tanlic? [emoji3]

Any chance you could share those drugs?

Last edited:
Silver Cup - Phoenix Way
The big handicap hurdle - Metier

Both Declared. My third pick in the Tommy Whittle wasn't though.

I am thinking two each way singles and an each way double on Metier and Phoenix Way now.

Last edited:
Both Declared. My third pick in the Tommy Whittle wasn't though.

I am thinking two each way singles and an each way double on Metier and Phoenix Way now.

Anyone fancy anything in the Tommy Whittle?

I have looked at it but can't pick anything out.

I would like one for my each way patent.

Back