Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

I absolutely knew you would back Defi despite all the waring signs..I really should kick your ass:lol: Gotta learn to let go mate

I hadn’t backed him since his Queen Mother failure two seasons ago, until this week - when he was four times the price he usually is.

Like I said, I was prepared to take the chance at those odds in a race that seemed certain to cut up.

If I can continue to back 11/2 shots at 12/1, I should do OK even without your expert tutelage. :p

Last edited:
Here I go again,I'm not doing a/p I said,but I cant resist,but this one is even riskier not knowing what race they have in mind for it.
DUFFLE COAT 33/1 for the coral cup.
As a 3 yr old he gave 5lb and a 5L beating to Adagio (now rated 152) with my county hurdle fancy Cabot cliffs 10L behind.
After winning 4 hurdle races DC then ran 4 decent races on the flat and then returned to hurdles off 143 and ran over 3m twice,one of them a pertemps qualifier and wasnt in the first 20 in either but has dropped 2lb.if the bha add 5lb he wont get in the m.pipe so it's got to be the coral cup I hope unless he runs in the county.
He could of course still qualify for the pertemps but I'm sure Gordon will have that race covered.

Its an absolutely dogshit race, but see Shantou Flyer has an entry in a hunters chase on Thursday. His third in the Kim Muir looks somewhat better with what Mount Ida and Cloudy Glen have done since.

Appreciate Maxwell will be riding, horse will be 12, but the race is really poor. One ill be backing come the day.

Pertemps hurdle final.
THE JAM MAN 33s boosted to 36.75/1 hills

Needs to finish in the first 6 tomorrow in a 7 horse race.rated 146 so wont need to win.

There has been an article on him recently although I can't find it. It was on the racing post either yesterday or today. From memory sounds like he will be a runner innthe pertemps.

Pertemps hurdle final.
THE JAM MAN 33s boosted to 36.75/1 hills

Needs to finish in the first 6 tomorrow in a 7 horse race.rated 146 so wont need to win.

There has been an article on him recently although I can't find it. It was on the racing post either yesterday or today. From memory sounds like he will be a runner in the pertemps.

Last edited:
There has been an article on him recently although I can't find it. It was on the racing post either yesterday or today. From memory sounds like he will be a runner innthe pertemps.
Read it as well, plan is Pretemps before a tilt at the Irish National, which has been the long term plan.

Well well well.

I was planning to have my first anti post bet a few days ago on Dino Blue but you can't spend the same money twice and I felt I had missed the price so decided to leave it for now.

When I have an hour to kill I like to go through the form of some of the races the past season.

It's probably unrealistic to think your eyes and brain can recall everything needed that you need to know so I went through a few races this season to see where there could be value for the festival or even upcoming races.

A couple of form pieces stuck out to me.

The first was the Welsh National trial run at Chepstow earlier this season.

Iwilldoit had todays Warwick Chase winner Eclair Surf back in third. Clearly both horses appear to have improved markedly for the step up in trip.

Colorado Doc was a well beaten second that day, when seemingly hammered 24L by Iwilldoit, and he was pulled up next time in the Welsh National.

However, with Eclair Surf franking that form again today, it makes Colorado Doc's run back in second look much better.

Colorado Doc is actually entered in the Wincanton Somerset National chase due to be run this Thursday.

Maybe its worth giving him another chance even after his last pulled up effort? We will see what lines up on Thursday...

The second race I am interested is was the Castleford Chase run at Wetherby on boxing day.

The Dan Skelton trained and John Hales owned Eclair D'ainay looked to come back to form plus a few pounds improvement when winning really well against Cheddleton and the Ann Hamilton trained Nuts Well, who finished an admirable third given he was lumping around top weight off a mark in the high 150's.

So to me that is really solid 2 mile handicap chase form and Eclair D'ainay is now a horse of serious interest in the 2 mile handicap chase division.

His next start could be on Friday in another 2 mile handicap chase at Lingfield which will be covered by ITV.

I am not sure whats not to like about Eclair D'ainay for a race like the Grand Annual.

He jumped really well on boxing day aswell which was a good thing to see as he had previously fallen over fences.

He seems to be hitting peak form at just the right time and I will be taking the 25/1 each way for the Grand Annual shortly, in anticipation of a possible good run this Friday at Lingfield.

He is on a mark of 141 at present so could still afford to win another handicap chase on his way to the Grand Annual.

Should find out if Colorado Doc is declared for Thursday today. I have to say I have looked at the current entries and nothing really scares me insofar as wanting to back Colorado Doc goes.

He is lightly raced for an 11 year old chaser. I am hopeful he can bounce back after his pulled up effort in the Welsh National. He has also been dropped 5lb to a mark of 135 which could help.

Last edited:
A few horses catching my eye for the weekend.

Metier is an obvious one on the possible heavy ground this Friday at Lingfield.

I see Kalooki is in the Peter Marsh at Haydock. He battled back well to win last time and I think he can improve again.

Phoenix Way is in at Ascot over a shorter distance of 2M5F.

While not forgetting Eclair D'ainay who could run on Friday and hopefully put himself firmly in the Grand Annual picture...

Last edited:
Copied from the Longshot thread:

Festival 3m6f Novices Chase - Annual Invictus 66/1 - also holds an entry in the [ex] RSA for which he's the same price but that will be a very hot race and, on breeding, I think might improve significantly for the longer trip. A winning pointer over 3m (aren't they all?), he's been kept to 2.5m and shorter under rules so far and wasn't beaten at all far in the Betfair Hurdle, which is strong form. I reckon a lot of Irish trainers would have steered a similar path with him, not asking him too much until into his chasing career and anticipating progress for a trip over fences. I reckon there's more chance of the field for this race cutting up than the RSA and, while I might just be throwing away my money, the stakes are modest for a low-risk-high-reward punt.

Copied from the Longshot thread:

Festival 3m6f Novices Chase - Annual Invictus 66/1 - also holds an entry in the [ex] RSA for which he's the same price but that will be a very hot race and, on breeding, I think might improve significantly for the longer trip. A winning pointer over 3m (aren't they all?), he's been kept to 2.5m and shorter under rules so far and wasn't beaten at all far in the Betfair Hurdle, which is strong form. I reckon a lot of Irish trainers would have steered a similar path with him, not asking him too much until into his chasing career and anticipating progress for a trip over fences. I reckon there's more chance of the field for this race cutting up than the RSA and, while I might just be throwing away my money, the stakes are modest for a low-risk-high-reward punt.

If GDC pisses up at the DRF then there cpould be 3 divisions of The National Hunt Chase.

If GDC pisses up at the DRF then there cpould be 3 divisions of The National Hunt Chase.

Such numbers would imply mediocrity. That wouldn't worry me. I reckon Annual Invictus is a 152-155 novice waiting to happen. There was a time that would have been more than good enough for the 4-miler but the bar has been raised in recent years and Galvin took it to a new level last season.

The winner this year will probably also be a 160+ novice. I'm just keeping an eye out for one I can latch on to before the general racing media does.

Another piece of form which looks good is the Paddy Power chase form from December 27th at Leopardstown.

School Boy Hours improved on previous form. He is far from hidden in the anti post market but would be my pick for the Ultima as I type.

In the NH chase I see ONTHEROPES in the betting at 25/1.
I've backed this for the national at 100/1.
First chase was in November 2019 and is still a novice after 8 races and 1 win.
Rated 152 ran 4th in the hennessey off 153 and this distance should suit.
Interesting,if only for me.

I cant resist a big price even though it mightn't run.thats why hes probably a big price for a HdB horse but
SHANTREUSSE 66/1 for the Alfred Bartlett.

I cant resist a big price even though it mightn't run.thats why hes probably a big price for a HdB horse but
SHANTREUSSE 66/1 for the Alfred Bartlett.

Saw that put up on a podcast other day. Could be Henrys runner in it, if so and Rachels jocked up, be a lot shorter come the day.

Another piece of form which looks good is the Paddy Power chase form from December 27th at Leopardstown.

School Boy Hours improved on previous form. He is far from hidden in the anti post market but would be my pick for the Ultima as I type.
Goes for the Irish National or Aintree.

Goes for the Irish National or Aintree.
Seriously?

Yet he is fifth fav for the Ultima?

Looks like that 50 quid each way I just had on him for the ultima at 16s wasn't well placed!

My first anti post of the meeting...ya couldn't make it up eh.

Fwiw also placed 50 each way on Eclair D'ainay for the Grand Annual and 50 on kalooki to win the Peter Marsh.

When I talk horses up on my thread I do try to back it up with sterling. :)

Last edited:
Seriously?

Yet he is fifth fav for the Ultima?

Looks like that 50 quid each way I just had on him for the ultima at 16s wasn't well placed!

My first anti post of the meeting...ya couldn't make it up eh.

Fwiw also placed 50 each way on Eclair D'ainay for the Grand Annual and 50 on kalooki to win the Peter Marsh.

When I talk horses up on my thread I do try to back it up with sterling. :)
Yes, was in the Sporting Life a week back. Unlikely to run beforehand according to Meade, so probably best to cash if you can.

I lost my bank card last week so i had to place it in a shop on the high street with cash.

I read Noel Meade thinks he can stay 3M4F but I didn't know he would swerve the Ultima.

He has improved for the 3 mile trip on good ground like the last day, I think they should go for the Ultima myself, but then that is my pocket talking.

He's fallen three times in career thus far albeit twice over hurdles...I am suprised they favour the Irish National over the Ultima I really am.

Last edited:
Back