Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

He ran over 3m4f last time behind GO WHATEVER and PEMBERLEY.
On sunday it's the Surrey national and the two of them go head to head again with MOVETHECHAINS the fav.
Movethechains has won its last 3 at Lingfield over 2m7.5f and steps up in distance.won 3 races under 3 grand by 16L,12L and 20L.
The first two off 80,the 3rd off 100 and now runs off 117.
I'm a pembury follower but Go Whatever was impressive last time and is 7lb worse off for 7L but I still favour 7/1. GO WHATEVER

I do think El paso wood is one to keep an eye on though.hes only 8.

Good luck with this race tomorrow.

I will take Go Whatever, Smooth Stepper and Eclair Mag in reverse forecasts and tricasts. When you can't pick the winner, let alone the first two, pick three and reverse them up all up. Thats the plan.

Great to see my thread getting to the 1000 replies mark. Nearly 100,000 views too.

In other news, read on Harry Fry's website that he is waiting to see how Phoenix Way comes out of the race before making a plan.

I await the plan Harry...

Every year the party is always spoiled by either a warm order being withdrawn or running well below what was expected.

One of these years they will all win.

Galopin Des Champs 13/8
Fil D'Or 5/2
Honeysuckle 4/6
Allaho 11/10
Shishkin 4/6
Bob Ollinger 11/10

1 10pt accum
6 10pt Fivefolds
15 10pt fourfolds

Return 7,982.31 pts.

Stake 220 pts

Min 4 horse return 122.50

Last edited:
Only rated 114 before todays race so seems like even with a fair hike in the weights El Paso Wood probably wouldn't make the cut the Kim Muir.

A very interesting horse for the future now though.

If Colorado Doc is a good yardstick, (which I think he is) and he has ran somewhere to form, then El Paso Woods 34L win over Colorado Doc today would mean that even with a hike up to say 130, (from his current 114), would still make El Paso Wood a big player in another handicap chase next time out, imho.

El Paso Wood entered up in another handicap chase this Monday at Hereford.

He has a second entry for a bigger race next month which is the Haydock Grand National trial over 3M4F.

I have just the two anti post bets so far for the festival. I have been reading everyone's views with a lot of interest.

I have a bet on School Boy Hours but he might not run in the Ultima although they haven't made a final decision yet.

Eclair D'ainay is one I like. I hope he will turn up in the grand annual off 145 and hopefully find a lot of improvement on the day. Soft ground would be ideal for Eclair D'ainay. He has won on soft three times in his career already.

Both of the above bets were not NRNB. So I am likely screwed if they don't run.

I found the debate the other day about Sir Gerhard and Dysart Dynamo interesting. I see Dinoblue could run next weekend. Is it time to back her for the Mares Novice Hurdle soon?

I was also looking at Metier again. There was an interesting quote after his Lingfield win from our man Harry Fry about possibly stepping Metier up in trip especially if the going was better.

That got me considering if Metier is worth a punt NRNB for the Coral Cup. Hills are best price on the NRNB at 16s and with the Betfair Hurdle coming up soon I see a Metier bet at 16s for the Coral Cup as my next probable investment.

Even If he ran in the top six in the Betfair he could still be stepped up for a race like the Coral Cup and run well on the day.

Oh finally still waiting for news on Phoenix Way's potential target from Harry Fry. I want him on side for Cheltenham.

Last edited:
A few of us were on Gunsight Ridge when he won recently and over course and distance (but faster ground I imagine) he is worth a go in a weaker looking race this Saturday. Main oppo seems to be Frero Banbou who won a terrible race at Lingfield lto and some Skelton bottom weight.

Main oppo seems to be Frero Banbou who won a terrible race at Lingfield lto and some Skelton bottom weight.

I can't have this. I hope Frero Banbou franks the form of the last day myself. He may just blow his own grand annual mark while making Eclair D'ainay look well handicapped. That's my hope.

Last edited:
FB is off 140 now having been beaten comfortably before the Lingfield race in his two previous starts off 133 and 134. Those races had depth, the Lingfield one did not and honestly I don't trust form from that track on heavy ground

El Paso Wood entered up in another handicap chase this Monday at Hereford.

He has a second entry for a bigger race next month which is the Haydock Grand National trial over 3M4F.

Declared for the 4.10 at Wincanton this Thursday facing five opponents. I am tempted to have a bet on El Paso Wood for the grand national trial at Haydock as he is a tempting 20/1 for that. Were he to win this Thursday he should go up enough in the handicap to get a run.

But what if Pipe and Co don't run him at Haydock even in the event he wins this Thursday? That's the dilemma. I am second guessing the trainer a bit here.

Another 7-10 lb in the ratings and he could run with a very light weight at Haydock. Here's hoping he wins well on Thursday as I will have to have a tenner each way on for Haydock.

Last edited:
Oh finally still waiting for news on Phoenix Way's potential target from Harry Fry. I want him on side for Cheltenham.

Phoenix Way given entries in both the old Racing Post Chase at Kempton, (now the Coral Chase), over 3M at the end of this month and also in the Grand National.

Last edited:
Denman Chase:
Clan 4/5
Royal P 15/8
Imperial Aura 6
BMG 13/2 (won't run)
Eldorado Allen 11

Imperial Aura's form figures read UP-FP yet he's tempting me for this. The last P I can forgive, the ground at Aintree was terrible and he was actually going ok when he fell in the Betfair - just one of those things. His other P was due to Allaho putting his jumping under too much pressure.

Clan Des Obeaux was beaten in this last year by a Grade 3 horse and honestly, I think he's the most overrated horse in training (172). Pumpkin's are running like stink and he's odds-on for this. MUST TAKE ON.

Royal P looks the obvious one but will a small field conditions race suit him - I also have it in my mind that Newbury's fences may be an issue, they are tougher than Haydock's.

I want to back Imp Aura but not sure I trust the trainer. Anyone got a view?

Denman Chase:
Clan 4/5
Royal P 15/8
Imperial Aura 6
BMG 13/2 (won't run)
Eldorado Allen 11

Imperial Aura's form figures read UP-FP yet he's tempting me for this. The last P I can forgive, the ground at Aintree was terrible and he was actually going ok when he fell in the Betfair - just one of those things. His other P was due to Allaho putting his jumping under too much pressure.

Clan Des Obeaux was beaten in this last year by a Grade 3 horse and honestly, I think he's the most overrated horse in training (172). Pumpkin's are running like stink and he's odds-on for this. MUST TAKE ON.

Royal P looks the obvious one but will a small field conditions race suit him - I also have it in my mind that Newbury's fences may be an issue, they are tougher than Haydock's.

Bailey’s not having the best of times, but IA been prepared for this, I think.

Ps: should add I agree with your thoughts. He was taken off his feet by Allaho (wasn’t everything!!) and burst a blood vessel into the bargain. He had been targeted for the Betfair and was going well as you say. He’s got a live chance imo.

Last edited:
Denman Chase:
Clan 4/5
Royal P 15/8
Imperial Aura 6
BMG 13/2 (won't run)
Eldorado Allen 11

Perfectly put, won't be the Haydock swamp for RP either.

Denman Chase:
Clan 4/5
Royal P 15/8
Imperial Aura 6
BMG 13/2 (won't run)
Eldorado Allen 11

I agree about CDO I think he's a dog and there's no gurantee he will turn up.

Some might follow Imperial Auaro over a cliff but not me.

Royal P might be an absolute steal for this if PN decides not to run and even if he does he must have a great chance of turning him over IMO

Whats the forecast like?

We know Royale Pagaille is about a stone or more better horse on soft or heavy ground.

I'm considering an anti post on The Mighty Arc in the Warwick Handicap Chase this Saturday.

He has won 2/3 chase starts so far, (all in handicaps) and was third in another handicap chase in between those two wins.

They were class 4 races while this Saturday would be a step up to class 2 but he could get in with a nice low weight. He's in consistent good form which I like to see in a horse rising up in class. Currently 10/1 in a place.

I suppose this race could cut up a fair bit when final decs come out on Thursday. A smallish or sporting bet at 10s might be worth a go, imho.

Last edited:
I can't find the Ryanair thread.

A positive bulletin today from Dan Skelton about Shan Blue.

I have seen worse bets than 10/1 each way NRNB for the Ryanair. He clearly is very talented. He's an excellent each way chance with Allaho in there and if the fav did have an off day his chances would obviously go up somewhat.

A classic each way thieves bet really. I can't see him out the first three if he gets round ok.

Last edited:
The Dan Skelton trained and John Hales owned Eclair D'ainay looked to come back to form plus a few pounds improvement when winning really well against Cheddleton and the Ann Hamilton trained Nuts Well, who finished an admirable third given he was lumping around top weight off a mark in the high 150's.

So to me that is really solid 2 mile handicap chase form and Eclair D'ainay is now a horse of serious interest in the 2 mile handicap chase division.

His next start could be on Friday in another 2 mile handicap chase at Lingfield which will be covered by ITV.

I am not sure whats not to like about Eclair D'ainay for a race like the Grand Annual.

He jumped really well on boxing day aswell which was a good thing to see as he had previously fallen over fences.

We disagreed over the merit of the Lingfield form, I was against Frero Banbou last week and you were with him. Freely admit I was wrong - he ran well off of a conservative ride. I was against him as his run behind Il Rodoto at Newbury hadn't worked out and Cheddleton who'd finished in front of him the next time at Cheltenham had been seen off at Wetherby. Therefore I knee jerked into thinking the Lingfield run can't have been that good. However, like I said he ran well last week and so I have to be more positive about the Lingfield form and that means seeing the overall form of Eclair D in a better light - which means he was very well handicapped at Wetherby. All this is a roundabout way of saying Cheddleton's run that day behind him isn't as uninspiring as I thought it was initially (he was in a multi or two so I wasn't best pleased). He's out Saturday at Warwick and steps up in trip.

Back