Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

According to one report I have just seen there are 7 storm alerts in place for Lancashire coming up which isn't that far from Cheltenham is it?

Christ knows what the ground is going to be like come the festival.

Last edited:
And yet Shan Blue is still the each way thieves bet!
Right heading out for drinks.

Why a dozen bookies are not only quoting him but actually shortening him for the Ultima when Dan Skelton has clearly said he goes for the Ryanair is completely beyond me.

These bookies obviously don't trust a word that comes out of Dan's mouth.

Last edited:
Each way thieves is no longer a thing. He has ******* no chance against Allaho.

Has anything? I play the Ryanair time and time again in wonder - never have I seen a horse run so fast and still be pouring it on at the end, let alone demolish a high class field so comprehensively.

Last edited:
Has anything? I play the Ryanair time and time again in wonder - never have I seen a horse run so fast and still be pouring it on at the end, let alone demolish a high class field so comprehensively.

Yes on Allaho's very best form, which came firstly in the Ryanair last season, he would be unbeatable.

However, what may temper enthusiasm for some was that the season before last he was beat several times at short odds including over fences.

So clearly while he improved out of all recognition last season and while I am perfectly happy to see that continue I don't think its as unreasonable as others to want to back something each way.

To summarise - A champion on his day and rightfully even money but not unbeatable as per what happend the season before last.

Shan Blue with a clear round will run really well.

The turn of foot he showed when the business part of the Charlie Hall kicked in was the only piece of evidence needed to know his potential.

Go easy on me Slim.

Last edited:
It’d be a triumph of hope over experience, Marb. (That anything beats Allaho, not that slim would go easy on you :))

Last edited:
It’d be a triumph of hope over experience, Marb. (That anything beats Allaho, not the slim would go easy on you :))

Ha. Yes I remember you was the first person to mention Shan Blue last season if I remember correctly.

Yes on Allaho's very best form, which came firstly in the Ryanair last season, he would be unbeatable.

However, what may temper enthusiasm for some was that the season before last he was beat several times at short odds including over fences.

So clearly while he improved out of all recognition last season and while I am perfectly happy to see that continue I don't think its as unreasonable as others to want to back something each way.

To summarise - A champion on his day and rightfully even money but not unbeatable as per what happend the season before last.

The turn of foot he showed when the business part of the Charlie Hall kicked in was the only piece of evidence needed to know his potential.

Go easy on me Slim.

Complete and utter bollocks.

I've only just caught the replay of Hillcrest's race the other day for the first time. It has certainly got me thinking.

I've taken 6/1 NRNB for the Albert Bartlett. If it runs it wins. I don't care what they have in Ireland. My provisional rating for the horse is higher than my AB ratings for Minella Indo and Vanillier.

I reckon this could be a very serious contender for the 2024 Gold Cup.

This lofty opinion has its other implications, of course. I look forward to seeing what the handicapper does with the runner-up Crystal Glory tomorrow. He has massively outrun his OR. I'm hoping the handicapper will assume he has run his race and keep him on 124 but I doubt it. I imagine a minimum of 10lbs is on the cards but that would be nowhere near his ability either. I reckon he'd be an AB contender in his own right. (Not entered, btw.)

Of course, I've been known to be wrong before.

It does happen...

Last edited:

Go easy on me Slim.

Is Shan Blue not a flat track bully?

I've only just caught the replay of Hillcrest's race the other day for the first time. It has certainly got me thinking.

I've taken 6/1 NRNB for the Albert Bartlett. If it runs it wins. I don't care what they have in Ireland. My provisional rating for the horse is higher than my AB ratings for Minella Indo and Vanillier.

This lofty opinion has its other implications, of course. I look forward to seeing what the handicapper does with the runner-up Crystal Glory tomorrow. He has massively outrun his OR. I'm hoping the handicapper will assume he has run his race and keep him on 124 but I doubt it. I imagine a minimum of 10lbs is on the cards but that would be nowhere near his ability either. I reckon he'd be an AB contender in his own right. (Not entered, btw.)

It does happen...

Already on

Hope you got a right price, tiggers.

Haydock presented the kind of opportunity for TV analysis that Ruby Walsh is fond of doing on the RTC programme when he runs CD races side by side. There were 3 CD races the other day - the other two were the Rendlesham and the Pertemps qualifier.

I haven't run them side-by-side myself yet (will do later) but I suspect they'll show Hillcrest going faster throughout, even than the Rendlesham. The overall time was several seconds faster in Hillcrest's race and he carried 1lbs more than Wholestone and 19lbs more than the handicap winner.

It does happen...

I’m on, too.

It does happen...

I like the horse DO and it was an impressive staying performance but at the risk of using an oft-used argument against, getting carried away by wide margin wins in heavy ground at Haydock regularly leads to disappointment come Cheltenham. The Albert Bartlett will be a very different test, should he run.

I like the horse DO and it was an impressive staying performance but at the risk of using an oft-used argument against, getting carried away by wide margin wins in heavy ground at Haydock regularly leads to disappointment come Cheltenham. The Albert Bartlett will be a very different test, should he run.

That’s true, but it was his first run against I Am Maximus at Cheltenham that marked the card https://www.talkinghorses.co.uk/for...ng-Jumps-21-22&p=764584&viewfull=1#post764584 . I was all over him next time when Patrick fell off, but got my money back Saturday. I reckon he’ll take all the beating in the Bartlett (he’s in the Ballymore, too, at the moment).

Last edited:
Back