Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Stewards Cup

I'm very interested in Fine Wine for the Stewards Cup. When you look at that run at York on his penultimate start when he beat Raasel three lengths, albeit over five furlongs, that was a serious performance.

Raasel has franked that form in a major way. He beat Mitbaahy last time who is one of the Stewards Cup anti post favourites so the fact Fine Wine beat Raasel bodes really well for Fine wine in future races.

If I do back him in the next week or two I'd be taking a chance he might improve over a further furlong but why not? Stranger things have happend.

I can't helping help thinking if Fine Wine was with a more fashionable trainer than Scott Dixon he'd be half the odds he is now.

The other horse of interest is more obvious in Tees Spirit trained by Adrian Nicholls. His old man Dandy Nicholls farmed this race for years and Adrian will surely want to bring this fella to the race in A1 condition.

He won the Epsom Dash which is the fastest five furlongs in the country beating todays big Ascot handicap winner Mountain Peak so the form is rock solid.

Now like Fine Wine he needs to prove himself at six furlongs but at current anti post odds of 20/1 basically he looks another one who would be shorter if trained by a bigger name trainer.

Finally, I see Fine Wine could run in a group race in Ireland next week so its worth watching how he runs in that if he's declared. His price could contract a lot for the Stewards Cup if he runs well in the group race in Ireland.

Last edited:
Being a gambler.as Kenny Rodgers sang WHENTHE GAMBLINSDONE 33/1

A bit unlucky today and I dont think it would of won.5f and I think a step up in trip is worth a go.

Stewards Cup

I'm very interested in Fine Wine for the Stewards Cup. When you look at that run at York on his penultimate start when he beat Raasel three lengths, albeit over five furlongs, that was a serious performance.

Raasel has franked that form in a major way. He beat Mitbaahy last time who is one of the Stewards Cup anti post favourites so the fact Fine Wine beat Raasel bodes really well for Fine wine in future races.

If I do back him in the next week or two I'd be taking a chance he might improve over a further furlong but why not? Stranger things have happend.

I can't helping help thinking if Fine Wine was with a more fashionable trainer than Scott Dixon he'd be half the odds he is now.

The other horse of interest is more obvious in Tees Spirit trained by Adrian Nicholls. His old man Dandy Nicholls farmed this race for years and Adrian will surely want to bring this fella to the race in A1 condition.

He won the Epsom Dash which is the fastest five furlongs in the country beating todays big Ascot handicap winner Mountain Peak so the form is rock solid.

Now like Fine Wine he needs to prove himself at six furlongs but at current anti post odds of 20/1 basically he looks another one who would be shorter if trained by a bigger name trainer.

Finally, I see Fine Wine could run in a group race in Ireland next week so its worth watching how he runs in that if he's declared. His price could contract a lot for the Stewards Cup if he runs well in the group race in Ireland.

I've just had an early look at the Scottish Stewards Cup at Hamilton on Friday.

Interesting contenders at the top of the handicap in the shape of Popmaster and First Folio who are prominent in the betting for Goodwood Stewards Cup.

Swiss Ace is a horse I know well, but I did say after the last day the horse needs dropping to class three level so I stand by that.

Illusionist could be a contender as he's in good form but I am not sure about him on likely good to firm ground.

The horse for me with the hottest recent form line is Edward Cornelius who was seventh in that York handicap, behind todays Deauville listed race winner and multiple winner in the U.K Harry Three.

The fourth horse that day, Lethal Levi hacked up at Newmarket a few days ago in a good looking handicap, so for Edward Cornelius to finish 1.5 lengths behind Lethal Levi at York is a serious piece of form.

I haven't seen any prices for this race. Final decs should be on Wednesday. Callum Rodriguez has already been jocked up to ride Edward, so the early signs are he will run in this race.

I think he's the bet but I want to see some prices.

Last edited:
I see Edward Cornelius is also in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood so if I fancy him for this Friday I need to keep him on my radar for the main event at Goodwood.

Having just looked at previous renewals of the Stewards Cup it seems the weights and/or cut differs year to year. In some cases the bottom weight has been rated in the high 80's, other years the low-to-mid 90's.

This year Nahaar is current top weight on a mark of 112. Christ that seems high.

My approach will definately involve backing several horses at decent prices this year. You just can't be putting all your eggs in one basket...especially if the horse in question hasn't even got a rating of 90 yet.

Edward Cornelius and Tee's Spirit only on 89 at present.

I've just had an early look at the Scottish Stewards Cup at Hamilton on Friday.

Interesting contenders at the top of the handicap in the shape of Popmaster and First Folio who are prominent in the betting for Goodwood Stewards Cup.

Swiss Ace is a horse I know well, but I did say after the last day the horse needs dropping to class three level so I stand by that.

Illusionist could be a contender as he's in good form but I am not sure about him on likely good to firm ground.

The horse for me with the hottest recent form line is Edward Cornelius who was seventh in that York handicap, behind todays Deauville listed race winner and multiple winner in the U.K Harry Three.

The fourth horse that day, Lethal Levi hacked up at Newmarket a few days ago in a good looking handicap, so for Edward Cornelius to finish 1.5 lengths behind Lethal Levi at York is a serious piece of form.

I haven't seen any prices for this race. Final decs should be on Wednesday. Callum Rodriguez has already been jocked up to ride Edward, so the early signs are he will run in this race.

I think he's the bet but I want to see some prices.

Maybe that Harry Three race at York is the key.

Michael Applebys Annaf was in fifth. He then ran second in a group race behind that Haggas good thing Sense Of Duty.

His mark of 95 would surely make the cut for the Stewards Cup.

Richard Fahey's Admiral D was sixth in that York race. He looks like a work in progress now for his new trainer, (formerly with Michael O Callaghan).

Lethal Levi was of course in fourth in the York race then won at Newmarket with Admiral D in second.

Although I haven't backed anything yet, (the race is in three weeks time so plenty of time), I'd say my early shortlist consists of Fine Wine, Edward Cornelius, Admiral D, Annaf and Tees Spirit. With Lethal Levi another possible.

I'll be keeping an eye on Edward Cornelius or Fine Wine if they run this Friday as this could affect their anti post prices.

Last edited:
Being a gambler.as Kenny Rodgers sang WHENTHE GAMBLINSDONE 33/1

A bit unlucky today and I dont think it would of won.5f and I think a step up in trip is worth a go.

He's showing as blue with a few firms on oddschecker today mate. Probably your followers :)

He must have some sort of chance. He was finishing well at Ascot that's for sure. I'm not sure how strong Saturdays form is though.

On a line through Tee's Spirit who has already beaten Mountain Peak,Tee's Spirit should beat Whenthedealinsdone when they meet.

I guess a lot depends on who improves the most from now to Goodwood and also for stepping back up to six furlongs.

He is interesting though.

Last edited:
Lethal Levi was of course in fourth in the York race then won at Newmarket with Admiral D in second.

Although I haven't backed anything yet, (the race is in three weeks time so plenty of time), I'd say my early shortlist consists of Fine Wine, Edward Cornelius, Admiral D, Annaf and Tees Spirit. With Lethal Levi another possible.

I'll be keeping an eye on Edward Cornelius or Fine Wine if they run this Friday as this could affect their anti post prices.

Admiral D was very eye-catching but I prefer him for Ayr to be honest - 6f at Goodwood is tough if he has to come from way back.

Yeah all is his form is when being held up.

What do you make of Annaf, Euro?

He was group placed behind Sense Of Duty at Newcastle when ridden more prominently.

Mondammej was back in midfield that day then came out to finish second in a listed race. Before this day Annaf was always held up.

He has only had 8 career starts and still not won on turf so that would put me off. They haven't gelded him yet I see.

As you can see I have a shortlist of about 6 or 7.

As per your comments on Admiral D are you saying that you don't want to be backing a hold up horse in the Stewards?

It's a six furlong race so it stands to reason you don't want to be too far back. I am just trying to whittle down my shortlist a bit.

Last edited:
I still can't help thinking if Tee's Spirit or even Fine Wine could stay the 6F as good as they do 5F they would be contenders.

Edward Cornelius can race prominently. He has some decent forn with Mitbaahy.

I reckon if I had to pick a shortlist of four horses right now I would go for the above three and chuck in Outsiders pick Whenthedealinsdone.

Talk of the Stewards' Cup has pulled me in against my better judgment...

I've taken 25/1 Bielsa (16s is the best price anywhere else). Maybe he found a golden highway on his own up the stands rail in the Ayr Gold Cup but he was entitled to win on his career best form. He won by over two lengths (good ground) and is only 2lbs higher now. He had also run on his own up the centre in the Stewards' Cup itself while the action unfolded on either side.

He's co #17 of eight in the weights so guaranteed to get a run. Ayr again might be the main target but I don't imagine Ayr will be any more valuable than the £250k prize money offered here so no reason to hold him back.

Last edited:
What do you make of Annaf, Euro?

He was group placed behind Sense Of Duty at Newcastle when ridden more prominently.

As per your comments on Admiral D are you saying that you don't want to be backing a hold up horse in the Stewards?

It's a six furlong race so it stands to reason you don't want to be too far back. I am just trying to whittle down my shortlist a bit.

Annaf and Admiral D could just be outpaced.

I've been thinking about Nahaarr honestly. He's off 112 but I like top weights in the Stewards (Summerghand won it off 111, Gifted Master 108)

The one thing putting me off is he got beat in it when a 3/1 fav couple of years back - I actually assumed he'd been retired until he popped up at Salisbury. That run was ok, I like Benefit and a small field conditions race where he's left in front is not his bag.

I think after Rohaan and Trueshan it would be utter folly not to give Naharr serious consideration.

Yeah for sure.

If he runs off 112 he will have a significant affect on the handicap aswell.

I reckon you want to be low-to-mid 90s to be confident of making the cut this year.

This could change but at present that how it looks to me.

I want to see Edward Cornelius win at Hamilton on Friday I really do. He's rated 89 so a win there would surely secure him a run at Goodwood.

I will be backing him for Hamilton and an anti post interest for Goodwood before Friday.

After all the shite I've written above that's the least I should do!

Last edited:
The one thing Rohaan and Trueshan didn't have to deal with in their big wins were 3yos. Looks like Nahaar won't have such a luxury.

That said his ceiling is very high if Goodwood this time around suits. I don't like using Duke of York form as I've always thought it was a dodgy race but that run behind Starman reads so well at face value.

Talk of the Stewards' Cup has pulled me in against my better judgment...

I've taken 25/1 Bielsa (16s is the best price anywhere else). Maybe he found a golden highway on his own up the stands rail in the Ayr Gold Cup but he was entitled to win on his career best form. He won by over two lengths (good ground) and is only 2lbs higher now. He had also run on his own up the centre in the Stewards' Cup itself while the action unfolded on either side.

He's co #17 of eight in the weights so guaranteed to get a run. Ayr again might be the main target but I don't imagine Ayr will be any more valuable than the £250k prize money offered here so no reason to hold him back.

Being who its trained by it has to be on everyones short list.

Not really ante-post, but in the Grand Prix de Paris, tomorrow:
El Bodegan 7.50L
Outpaced 2nd to Vadeni latest, should improve for the step up in trip thrives on the ground & acts on the track,nice price.
5/1 Wm Hill.

I want to see Edward Cornelius win at Hamilton on Friday I really do. He's rated 89 so a win there would surely secure him a run at Goodwood.

I will be backing him for Hamilton and an anti post interest for Goodwood before Friday.

After all the shite I've written above that's the least I should do!

They declared earlier for this race at Hamilton on Friday.

Mr Lupton has to be respected on his older form. 9 years old now! I'm A Gambler I backed when he won earlier this year but he's been disappointing since. Not forgetting Swiss Ace who is interesting down to six furlongs.

If any of these win I'll be in the dreaded kicking myself situation.

All that said, I'll be sticking with Edward Cornelius. Awaiting some early prices.

Last edited:
Not ante-post now but the Hackwood at Newbury is interesting with Sense of Duty not declared:

5/1 Happy Romance
13/2 Man of Promise
7/1 Rohaan and Minzaal
10s Diligent Harry
12s Run to Freedom
14s Go Bears Go and Chil Chil

I can't have either of the front two - Happy Romance ran last week and although she won this last year this renewal looks deeper. I can't see a form case for the Godolphin. So Rohaan and Minzaal look the obvious alternatives. Narrowly prefer the latter.

Last edited:
Outsider, your pick for the Stewards Cup, Whenthedealinsdone, is still being well backed for Goodwood. He's in to 16s in a place now.

It's the International handicap at Ascot next Saturday. Dark Shift is a very impressive horse. He is also entered in the Golden Mile.

Gubbass seems a bit of a big price at 33/1. He won the big sales race as a two year old on good to firm that was run at Newbury this time last year. After being disappointing since in group and listed races he was gelded several months ago.

It doesn't guarantee a return to form but it can bring about a lot of improvement. I will be watching to see if he runs.

The other one high on my shortlist is Ropey Guest. He's such an improved horse since 2021 after he was gelded and has ran two belters when second both in the Bunbury Cup at Newmarket and at this track Ascot the time before. He must have a great chance if he is ok after the Bunbury Cup.

Saleymm is another who might have found some improvement since being gelded. He is also in the Golden Mile at Goodwood and warrants consideration for both races.

Last edited:
On Star of Orion apost for the International and pleasingly Beckett has pulled his 3yo who ran well at the July meeting so more confident he'll get the green light - and he's been dropped a couple of pounds for the Bunbury run.

The fillies race at Ascot is interesting. Zanbaq is fav but the filly who beat her at Ascot, Heredia, was behind Oscula at Sandown and yet that filly is 7s. I've taken that price. I would fear Thunder Beauty who has put two really good runs back to back but Bashkirova's Epsom form has been let down badly recently. I don't really see any of the others threatening.

Silver Samurai is also worth a bet in the dash at York. On completely the wrong side in the Wokingham.

Last edited:
Ronald Pump entered in the Galway Plate off 154.

How could I even look at backing another horse.

Last edited:
Back