Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

The 2.40 at York on Saturday should be interesting. Gale Force Maya is a worthy favourite having placed in a group three behind Flotus the last day.

Then there's Lucky Man who was second here at York behind Harry Three on his penultimate start. I'm not sure what happend at Ascot next time but back here at York, knowing the form behind Harry Three is strong with Lethal Levi winning next time out and two good second placers with Admiral D and Edward Cornelius.

Basically I respect Gale Force Maya but at slightly bigger odds I want to be with Lucky Man.

Last edited:
Outsider, your pick for the Stewards Cup, Whenthedealinsdone, is still being well backed for Goodwood. He's in to 16s in a place now.

It's the International handicap at Ascot next Saturday. Dark Shift is a very impressive horse. He is also entered in the Golden Mile.

Gubbass seems a bit of a big price at 33/1. He won the big sales race as a two year old on good to firm that was run at Newbury this time last year. After being disappointing since in group and listed races he was gelded several months ago.

It doesn't guarantee a return to form but it can bring about a lot of improvement. I will be watching to see if he runs.

The other one high on my shortlist is Ropey Guest. He's such an improved horse since 2021 after he was gelded and has ran two belters when second both in the Bunbury Cup at Newmarket and at this track Ascot the time before. He must have a great chance if he is ok after the Bunbury Cup.

Saleymm is another who might have found some improvement since being gelded. He is also in the Golden Mile at Goodwood and warrants consideration for both races.

Ropey Guest declared.

The one I didn't mention but who I did a write up on before Royal Ascot is Aratus.

Aratus should get better as the season goes on and he's been strong in the betting for this all week with the booking of Tom Marquand a positive.

So Aratus just gets my vote with Ropey Guest likely to run another big race.

Last edited:
Ropey Guest declared.

The one I didn't mention but who I did a write up on before Royal Ascot is Aratus.

Aratus should get better as the season goes on and he's been strong in the betting for this all week with the booking of Tom Marquand a positive.

So Aratus just gets my vote with Ropey Guest likely to run another big race.

This Aratus is as short as 8/1 now.

You'd hope if you are following this gamble in like me that he has really been showing them something good at home.

Last edited:
The 2.40 at York on Saturday should be interesting. Gale Force Maya is a worthy favourite having placed in a group three behind Flotus the last day.

Then there's Lucky Man who was second here at York behind Harry Three on his penultimate start. I'm not sure what happend at Ascot next time but back here at York, knowing the form behind Harry Three is strong with Lethal Levi winning next time out and two good second placers with Admiral D and Edward Cornelius.

Basically I respect Gale Force Maya but at slightly bigger odds I want to be with Lucky Man.

Lucky Man is now the type of price at 11/1 that I did think he might be worth betting at.

I have plenty respect for Gale Force Maya and I even advocated a bet on her for the last day group three she ran in but Megan Nicholls I think is right. She has a huge task off this higher weight.

If the 89 rated Lucky Man runs to his second placing behind the now 110 rated Harry Three he should go very close to winning indeed.

One thing that does give me a little comfort given the last disappointment at Ascot is how generally consistent he has been in his career so far.

Last edited:
Lucky Man is now the type of price at 11/1 that I did think he might be worth betting at.

I have plenty respect for Gale Force Maya and I even advocated a bet on her for the last day group three she ran in but Megan Nicholls I think is right. She has a huge task off this higher weight.

If the 89 rated Lucky Man runs to his second placing behind the now 110 rated Harry Three he should go very close to winning indeed.

One thing that does give me a little comfort given the last disappointment at Ascot is how generally consistent he has been in his career so far.

Enjoyed watching that the race turned out nearly exactly as I expected.

Last edited:
Whenthedealinsdone now joint fav for the Stewards Cup, Outsider. A great bit of value you put up there whatever happens.

I see Edward Cornelius is entered up in a different race at Goodwood next week.

Last edited:
Moktasaab entered in the 10 furlong race at Goodwood on Tuesday. A course and distance winner with Callum Shepherd booked to ride. I hope to see him declared tomorrow.

System one of my recent longshots also entered at Glorious Goodwood this week coming on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Are you sticking with it or laying off?

You gotta know when to hold, know when to fold, know when to walk away, know when to run.

Are you sticking with it or laying off?

You gotta know when to hold, know when to fold, know when to walk away, know when to run.

Theres time enough for counting when the dealings done.
I'm sticking.
I dont put enough on to worry about laying it off.
Got it in a trixie as well with Fresh and Ouzo so fingers crossed.

Similarly Great Ambassador ran a stormer from a bad draw in the sprint he's surely a bet at Ayr.

My ante-post book is fairly bare at present (Cheltenham excepted naturally)

I have taken 8/1 about Creative Force for the Sprint Cup. He didn't run well in the race last year but that was run on g/f unusually and fast ground 6f flat track events aren't enough of a test. He ran in the Lennox last year before running at Haydock and there is a chance with him missing that engagement this year that he may run in the Maurice de Gheest next weekend but that's ok, he'd be a bet in that as well - he does take his racing really well.

Last edited:
QUICKTHORN 20/1
JOHN LEEPER 20/1

EBOR.

I didnt know John Reeper were the first two names of John Dunlop.

Yeah remember Quickthorn from last year has a lot of weight this year and I think Hughie Morrison said he might miss the race in favour of another group race.

With you on John Leeper. Good to have your appraisal. John Leeper ran well enough at Goodwood given he was slowly into stride behind a horse I might end up backing for the Caufield Cup in Rebels Romance.

Last edited:
Back