Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Similarly Great Ambassador ran a stormer from a bad draw in the sprint he's surely a bet at Ayr.

My ante-post book is fairly bare at present (Cheltenham excepted naturally)

I have taken 8/1 about Creative Force for the Sprint Cup. He didn't run well in the race last year but that was run on g/f unusually and fast ground 6f flat track events aren't enough of a test. He ran in the Lennox last year before running at Haydock and there is a chance with him missing that engagement this year that he may run in the Maurice de Gheest next weekend but that's ok, he'd be a bet in that as well - he does take his racing really well.

GA fetched a bump and was knocked off balance, too.

I didnt know John Leeper were the first two names of John Dunlop.

It was all the 'talk' when he was [supposedly] coming through the ranks last season.

It would be a lovely story and, if it's a season-long plot, a bit of me hopes it comes off!

I'd imagine he'd be off to Oz afterwards if it comes off.

I'm tempted for the Ebor.

Similarly Great Ambassador ran a stormer from a bad draw in the sprint he's surely a bet at Ayr.

Only just got round to watching the race again and you're absolutely right. Last early on the far side, he fairly shot clear of those rivals in the final furlong.

He is a must-bet at Ayr.

Edit - just checked and the weights aren't out yet nor is there an ante-post market. Still, he can't go up for yesterday. I suspect he'll be favourite when the weights do come out but he should be at least 10/1 and I can see him going off at 5/2 if he gets there.

When races split as they did yesterday, I tend to rate the two sides as separate races. If the handicapper were allowed to do likewise he'd hit GA with a 9lbs rise.

Last edited:
Only just got round to watching the race again and you're absolutely right. Last early on the far side, he fairly shot clear of those rivals in the final furlong.

He is a must-bet at Ayr.

Edit - just checked and the weights aren't out yet nor is there an ante-post market. Still, he can't go up for yesterday. I suspect he'll be favourite when the weights do come out but he should be at least 10/1 and I can see him going off at 5/2 if he gets there.

When races split as they did yesterday, I tend to rate the two sides as separate races. If the handicapper were allowed to do likewise he'd hit GA with a 9lbs rise.

And good old Summerghand finished well as usual and Popmaster didnt get any room and was eased.
I cant see GA being 5/2,D unless your money shortens it.

Understandable, Outsider, and I did have a look myself but he got an RPR of 166 yesterday which might have been interesting a year or two back but the current Gold Cup horses are in the 180s so he'll have to find another stone and a bit to be competitive. He's still young, though.

Understandable, Outsider, and I did have a look myself but he got an RPR of 166 yesterday which might have been interesting a year or two back but the current Gold Cup horses are in the 180s so he'll have to find another stone and a bit to be competitive. He's still young, though.

Yes I appreciate that but hes only had 8 chase starts so there could be more to come.just thought 50/1 was a good price.bet365 and skybet are only 33s.

And I've done YOUNG FIRE 50/1 for the clipper logistics.was finishing best of all in the golden mile.i know he will have to be satisfied being 2nd to Orbaan.

Snaffled some 33/1 Euchen Glen for the Ebor after that good run today.

I've joined you at 25s.
I cant believe I'm backing a 9yr old in the ebor but he looks to have every chance.OR 116 last year and carried 10s 2lb.
I've always liked him so one last go.

Last edited:
The Champion Fillies and Mares at Ascot on October 15th is an interesting race as it comes just two weeks after the Arc and the first four horses in the betting for Ascot could all run in the Arc just a fortnight before, in which case you'd fancy a few, if not all of those, may end up skipping Ascot altogether as 2 weeks from the Arc to Ascot is not a long time.

Right now the aforementioned Free Wind, Alpinista, Emily Upjohn and Tuesday all head the betting for Ascot.

Given what I have said above I just wonder if there is some good early value elsewhere. I have my eye on a bigger priced horse but the race is on October 15th, so a long time to go and so I will post up an early selection when I get round to backing her myself.

I might wait a few weeks until the end of August to see if my early fancy gets entered up elsewhere before Ascot.

I'll update this post in due course.

Makes sense I think.

Last edited:
Definitely not going to discount old Euchen's chances in the Ebor, especially since Goldie proved yet again with Sir Chauvelin today (think that shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone) that he can get 9/10 year old's running like they were semi-youngsters.

But Max Vega draws the eye. Spent a fair amount of time in Group races and fell short, though with one or two respectable tries. Look at where he spent most of the race last year, and what happens over the last four furlongs or so. ofc it was a weird (ish) race with the unanticipated rain.

Based on that, it won't be a surprise after the Ebor this year to hear the words 'yes, this was the target for some time'.

25 B3

The problem (I think) - has been withdrawn in the past due to GF ground (though they let him go at Goodwood last time, we'll guess this was because they needed to get the run in).

If the forecasts I've seen are right, we could be facing weeks of blazing sun.

The Champion Fillies and Mares at Ascot on October 15th is an interesting race as it comes just two weeks after the Arc and the first four horses in the betting for Ascot could all run in the Arc just a fortnight before, in which case you'd fancy a few, if not all of those, may end up skipping Ascot altogether as 2 weeks from the Arc to Ascot is not a long time.

Right now the aforementioned Free Wind, Alpinista, Emily Upjohn and Tuesday all head the betting for Ascot.

Given what I have said above I just wonder if there is some good early value elsewhere. I have my eye on a bigger priced horse but the race is on October 15th, so a long time to go and so I will post up an early selection when I get round to backing her myself.

I wonder if it's the same one I'm thinking of. I backed this filly in the Ribblesdale at double figures when the market was headed by Oaks fillies who weren't gonna show up. This is not as clear cut, could easily see one or both of the Gosden's avoid the Arc for this.

I wonder if it's the same one I'm thinking of. I backed this filly in the Ribblesdale at double figures when the market was headed by Oaks fillies who weren't gonna show up. This is not as clear cut, could easily see one or both of the Gosden's avoid the Arc for this.

Well I don't mind sharing my thoughts on my one although it's very left field at the moment as the filly is actually quoted at 33/1 with three firms and its probably way left field of the filly you are thinking of.

I really think Emotion is a filly open to a lot of progress. She herself is trained by Gosden. She is a late maturing filly who ran really well last time in a listed race beating a solid group three horse in Rose Of Kildare.

Before that she did run herself in the Queens Vase at Royal Ascot where she ran no race having ran far too free. At Goodwood the time before she got into a pocket and then hung badly right but still finished fifth. I just think you have to put a line through those two runs.

After having a good 6 week break after Royal Ascot the Gosdens got her right again to win last week.

I feel I will see her again on the racetrack hopefully in the next few weeks or early September although I have no idea for what race.

As I say very left field for a Group One like the Champion fillies and Mares and maybe its just a token entry but she is entered in it.

I am kind of hoping to see if they run her next time in a Group 2 to really test what she's made of. If she could impress there she's probably done enough for a go at it. She'd need to keep improving but I think she can.

Lot's of if buts and maybes though. Horses like Alpinista and Free Wind I wouldn't want to see turning up at Ascot if I had backed something else.

Maybe Emotion is a filly for another day but not necessarily this race at Ascot.

Last edited:

Aye I think you are thinking of the Haggas filly Sea Silk Road. Just beaten into second place at Royal Ascot yes she is another interesting one.

She beat Emotion at Goodwood albeit over 10 furlongs on soft ground when I don't think Emotion ran her best race.

Yes, Sea Silk Road. 16s at 365.

One pointer tomorrow, Golden Voice runs at Redcar presumably in the hope of getting a penalty in order to have a better chance of getting in the Clipper Logistics at York.

Clipper logistics York.

YOUNG FIRE 66/1 SKYBET

Ran well in the golden mile and wasnt beaten far by the 2nd.
Orbaan went up from 87 to 95 and will go up more for Saturday
Blue for you went up 3lb
Rhoscolyn dropped a lb
Young fire dropped 2 lb and might drop some more after saturdays run.
I expect O'Meara will have a few in it but 66/1 looks good to me.
Blue for you is 8/1 fav so young fire shouldnt be 66/1.imo

I agree and will be backing it, Outsider. It definitely has a decent handicap in it. The weights have been out I think since before Goodwood, though, so the recent adjustments won't impact. I wouldn't put it past Orbaan to defy his penalties, either.

Clipper logistics York.

YOUNG FIRE 66/1 SKYBET

Ran well in the golden mile and wasnt beaten far by the 2nd.
Orbaan went up from 87 to 95 and will go up more for Saturday
Blue for you went up 3lb
Rhoscolyn dropped a lb
Young fire dropped 2 lb and might drop some more after saturdays run.
I expect O'Meara will have a few in it but 66/1 looks good to me.
Blue for you is 8/1 fav so young fire shouldnt be 66/1.imo

Going by this...and it's regularly (enough) dangerous to go by what a trainer says + there are some variables to factor in...but.....

"He has been running well this season on ground that would have been quicker than ideal. He is in good form and when we get a bit of rain, he will win a big handicap."

Unless they chuck an awful lot down, and there is zero sign of rain for weeks potentially.....you can imagine what's likely to happen.

Last edited:
Interesting line-up for the Hungerford on Saturday. Pogo and Chindit head the market and that's fair but I like Tiber Flow at 6s. He looks like a 7f animal to me and did well enough in the Commonwealth (where he tracked Flotus). The rest of the field look a bit meh and honestly, whilst I respect Chindit at this level I don't think he'll have the speed to win this.

Rebels Romance a best price 5/4 with Hills to win the Geoffrey Freer at Newbury on Saturday.

I wouldn't be backing anything to beat him, as I think he is a worthy favourite.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned Great Ambassador after the stewards cup for the Ayr Gold Cup. He is currently joint fav at 8/1 for the Great St Wilfred at Ripon on Saturday.

Back