Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Ive been at it again. Done one for the skybet dash at york on saturday over 6f.
EAST STREET REVUE 25/1.
Done most of his running over 5f but possibly his best two runs have been over 6f at newmarket.4th both times but in good races and in one of them he lost 2 places late on and although 4th he was only btn a lenngth.
When its stablemate copper knight won last time he stayed on well for 5th over 5.
Easterby has a couple of others in it so its not certain to run,but 25/1 was too tempting.

When i watch races i look for eyecatchers and BOY IN THE BAR caught my eye and i thought hes close to getting back to winning.
I looked at his last 3 runs and i cant really see why he caught my eye. Mmmm

I tend to get excited with somee horses and get a bit over confident.and if anyone thinks im arrogant im certainly not.
But i love my horse racing and my way of going about it.
This East Street Revue is getting me excited.hes out of pastorial pursuits the same as last years winner flying pursuits and also another good sprinter perfect pastures.
So although hes raced mainly over 5 he should be better over 6 and softish ground shouldnt be a problem.
There didnt look a lot in the draw today but i would have preferred a lower draw.
Skybet are paying 6 places.

Last edited:
In the gigaset ive stuck to FIRMAMENT and i think 20/1 6 places for Via serendipity is good value.im sure there is more improvement to come from him.

Vale Of Kent 47 on the list for The Golden Mile...might not make the cut? Also entered in a 7 F race on Wednesday...

Flaming Spear who got worked up something terrible beforehand refused to settle during the race was never travelling got stopped in a 100k to the winner race

Fuckin idiot

Robert Winston, the rider of FLAMING SPEAR (IRE), was slow to remove the blindfold. Winston explained that he intentionally delayed the removal of the blind to ensure the gelding drops in and settles. On previous occasions when the blind has been removed in a more timely manner, FLAMING SPEAR (IRE) had broken on terms and raced too keenly. His explanation was noted.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, reet. It would suggest the run caught the stewards' eye too. I don't recall the horse being reluctant to enter the stalls before but I'm not sure I've backed it before either! I didn't notice the blindfold issue at the time either nor that the horse was unduly slowly away, unlike Crack On Crack On in the previous race. I just felt the jockey was going through the motions of making an effort after seemingly travelling well. My immediate thoughts (still over a furlong out) were the Golden Mile but I see he's not in it. He's in the Stewards' Cup, though.

There's also the £250k race back here in October. Bigger prize and smaller field (course narrowed for the meeting) so maybe an easier target. I don't see the RP normally and only just this morning noticed there had been an item about FS not running if the ground was too fast. That hadn't even entered my head as he'd 'won' his race in the Hunt Cup on fast ground but I now see he's been withdrawn twice when the ground has been fast.

I also noted Chapman saying shortly before the off that he wasn't sure the money for FS was Bloom's. The brother was on the phone to me immediately after the race to say he'd noted it too and interpreted it as Chapman telling us it definitely wasn't Bloom's money.

So maybe the horse really just wasn't letting itself down on the ground and maybe there's an element of pocket-talking in my reading of the run but I had FS at 17/2 in a treble with Crack On Crack On (15/2) and Flying Pursuit (11/1) and having missed out on my coveted Jaguar on Friday when Austrian School couldn't win his race I was feeling I'd missed out again a wee bit unfairly.

I don't feel I'm inclined to talk through my pocket after 50 years at this game. My biggest single bet yesterday was Kimifive who, I felt, ran his race only to be held at bay by another improver. I have no issues whatsoever with that defeat. I shrug my shoulders and move on even in the knowledge that he was the anchor leg of a fourfold that could have paid for a Jaguar for both me and Mrs O.

I just didn't like what I was seeing with Flaming Spear :(

Last edited:
There's no question you were talking through a hole in something. Not sure it was your pocket:blink:

The day the Challenge Cup at Ascot turns out a small field there will be a blue moon in the sky....Dean won it 2 years ago and there was about 16 to 20 runners in it and last year was about the same.

Also Flaming ran like a pig in it last year don't know why this year should be any different. He has a mind of his own and flatters to deceive more often than not.

BTW he was 1000 on the machine if you wanted to lay him 4 minutes before the off....how anyone could have missed his antics that were watching is beyond me.

Almost as bad as someone saying he was stopped :blink:

Vale Of Kent declared for a 7 furlong race at Goodwood on Wednesday. I can only hope they declare him for The Golden Mile and try to take in both races.

YORK EBOR HANDICAP - This is another prestigious handicap race which I've had a provisional look through. I'll just cut to the chase and put forward the horse I believe can get there to run well on the day. TEODORO looks to still be improving: He's trained by Tom Dascombe, has slowly worked his way up the handicapping ranks, and ran creditably in fourth place when 3/1 favourite at Haydock the last day. This was his first real attempt at top handicap level so it was no disgrace to finish fourth. His overall profile shows he can win at different distances and can win from varying race positions too, when being held up or alternatively racing prominently. These attributes put him in good shape for a crack at The Ebor. He didn't have the turn of foot in the closing stages, (over 1M4F), but my feeling is that he'll improve for a stronger pace and the step up to 1M6F.

So there you have it - The York Ebor winner in three weeks, currently available at a pony 25/1!

I'll be having a few coins on in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll message Colin and admin to get it changed a.s.a.p., Col.

Last edited:
Ive done a 25p ew yankee so itdoesnt really matter if they dont run

Via serendipity gigaset placed
Vale of kent golden mile
Coosmelli ebor
Gifted master stewards cup id love him to run but i think hes rated 111 or something stupid like that.
winner

A winner and a place so far,pity about vale of kent,but he made up for it.come on cosmellli

YORK EBOR HANDICAP - This is another prestigious handicap race which I've had a provisional look through. I'll just cut to the chase and put forward the horse I believe can get there to run well on the day. TEODORO looks to still be improving: He's trained by Tom Dascombe, has slowly worked his way up the handicapping ranks, and ran creditably when finishing in fourth place when 3/1 favourite at Haydock the last day. This was his first real attempt at top handicap level so it was no disgrace to finish fourth. His overall profile shows he can win at different distances and can win from different race positions too, when being held up or alternatively racing prominently. These attributes put him in good shape for a crack at The Ebor. He didn't have the turn of foot in the closing stages, (over 1M4F), but my feeling is that he'll improve for a stronger pace and the step up to 1M6F.

So there you have it - The York Ebor winner in three weeks, currently available at a pony 25/1!

I'll be having a few coins on in the next week or so.

All the best with that, marble. It's a bit early for me to be looking at the race although I have a few on my radar without actually doing my figures. I'll need to check out this Teodoro. It isn't on my radar for anything. It might be 25/1 on the day though.

Or it might not! As I said elsewhere about Silent Echo, it was my ante-post fancy for yesterday at 25/1 but I wasn't sure it would make the cut so forgot about it and expected it still to be 25/1 when I started looking at the race the other day. I was pretty shocked to see it sitting at about 10/1 and that killed off any interest for me. It would have needed to be among my top ratings to interest me at that price. It wasn't far off but others attracted me more.

Yeah I like Teodoro for reasons explained, just ticks a few boxes really. Funnily enough they are both on identical marks, Cosmelli and Teodoro. Despite the rich vein of form Outsider is in, I know which I prefer!

Last edited:
Yeah I like Teodoro for reasons explained, just ticks a few boxes really. Funnily enough they are both on identical marks, Cosmelli and Teodoro. Despite the rich vein of form Outsider is in, I know who I prefer!

Hee hee,im going to have to have a look at Teodoro.Cosmelli doesnt owe me,he won the race i wanted him to so anything else is a bonus.
Interestingly he was for sale after the silver plate.
Horse racing sometimes doesnt make sense and confuses me.cosmelli was rated less than WITHOLD but carried more weight(obviously)
But ran faster race than withold.
The bha put cosmelli up more than withold,withold is favourite for the melbourne cup and cosmelli is 33/1 for the ebor.discuss.
Wouldnt it be nice marble for other members to join in.except for Dessie theres not a lot of discussion.
As you say theres times youspend a lot of time talking to yourself on this forum.
Im on another forum thats just the same.i joined this one because of how many members there are but its no better for discussion.
I was surprised to see aEUCHEN GLEN not entered.

Re joining in

Poss some like me on here who enjoy their racing but (in my case anyway) are not wanting to post guesses masquerading as selections. My contributions will tend to stay at proffering thanks and encouragement & keeping any negative thoughts to myself - 'fraid that's about as good as it gets.

The entries are made for the ebor,but what about hcap marks,will they be as now or could they be adjusted for bad runs or wins etc.
Does anybody know.

Re joining in

Poss some like me on here who enjoy their racing but (in my case anyway) are not wanting to post guesses masquerading as selections. My contributions will tend to stay at proffering thanks and encouragement & keeping any negative thoughts to myself - 'fraid that's about as good as it gets.

I think responses like this should be welcome. There are threads/topics I won't join in because they don't interest me enough or I don't feel I can offer a meaningful opinion on.

The majority of members here prefer the jumps and discussion will pick up around late October.

I'm bi-codal, to coin a new word. I'm equally inept under both codes. Not many people are less ept than me!

But remember too that ante-post punting in general is in serious decline. I too a renewed interest this season and it has cost me a fair bit. I won't be doing it again other than on rare occasions when I feel compelled to follow up an interesting find in the form book, usually this happens when something posts a rating that I KNOW is at least on a par with an average winning performance in the race in question.

The entries are made for the ebor,but what about hcap marks,will they be as now or could they be adjusted for bad runs or wins etc.
Does anybody know.

Weights have been out for a wee while, I think:

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/107/york/2018-08-25/705763/at-a-glance

Weights are as they are now barring penalties. Future rises or falls won't impact. So if something comes out and shows improved form without winning it won't affect its Ebor mark. If it wins (barring apprentice races, I think) it carries the penalty. Likewise if it drops in the ratings it will be off its old mark.

Last edited:
Back