Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Echo - nice one desert(mine would have won if it had got over the first fence :D)

Last edited:
How the fcuk are the two Ballydoyle horses heading the market for the 2000 Guineas? One's a boat the other a sprinter/2yo.

Sounds like an opportunity to bet something else to me!!

I've taken Noble Style and Nostrum. The Mrs surname is Noble and it worked well enough when I won £500 on the Grand National winner!

Last edited:
I've taken Nostrum. I thought he ran well in the Dewhurst for an inexperienced horse who was maybe being asked to run a bit too soon after his last win.

A/p on classics is really not my thing but I was looking through some special offers on sky a few months ago and although it probably wasn't good value I did Auguste Rodin at 40/1 for the 2000/derby.

I have 7s Rebel Romance I took about 6 weeks ago for the Breeders Cup Turf.

About 7/2 now and shortening all the time.

One of my better bets of late this one hopefully.

LONDON CUP SATURDAY

KITTYS LIGHT 16/1 Coral.ive took 14s boosted to 15/1 with hills.
Dont know if they intend running or not but the price is nice.2nd to win my wings and is a lot better off and a good 3rd to Hewick giving it 2lb.in the bet365.
Deserves to win a good race.

Of course this could be just a run for the welsh national.who knows

I've backed Annsam in that at 10s.

In the Mares Hurdle at Wetherby Unibet have gone 11/4 about last year's winner Molly Olly's Wishes - she should be 6/4. Martello Sky heads the market but she needs soft and two and a half minimum. This is 2 miles.

With due apologies to the NH purists, I thought the Flatties might be interested in Simon Rowlands's take on Auguste Rodin. I see some are doubting his staying the Derby trip [on breeding] but he suggests his stride pattern makes him out as a likely stayer:

Sectional Spotlight | At The Races

A couple of interests for me this Saturday.

Ascot 2.40 Gumball is 4/17 over hurdles and won a decent handicap hurdle here at Ascot when making all about this time three years ago. His chase record is not as good at 1/9 and that tells the story over fences.

However, he is still only an 8 year old and has moved to Fergal O Brien's from Phillip Hobbs, and he had a nice prep for this when second in a flat race here at Ascot recently. As I say, a patchy record over fences so far but rated several pounds lower over fences and maybe this season he can start to exploit this type of handicap mark.

3.15 Tea Clipper was only beaten a neck the last day and they pulled clear of the rest. He was much better after a wind operation last season and he has some useful handicap hurdle form from two seasons ago. He is getting battle hardened over fences now, has shown he can handle these big field handicaps and looks worth another chance in this at 6s or 7s.

Last edited:

Ascot 2.40 Gumball is 4/17 over hurdles and won a decent handicap hurdle here at Ascot when making all about this time three years ago. His chase record is not as good at 1/9 and that tells the story over fences.

However, he is still only an 8 year old and has moved to Fergal O Brien's from Phillip Hobbs, and he had a nice prep for this when second in a flat race here at Ascot recently. As I say, a patchy record over fences so far but rated several pounds lower over fences and maybe this season he can start to exploit this type of handicap mark.

One of the things I look forward to at the beginning of the jumps isn't the Charlie Hall or the Paddy Power it's the four two mile handicap chases (two at Cheltenham, two at Ascot) that are run from mid October to the end of Nov:

The Dads Lad race last Saturday. Fox Norton a previous winner.
The Byrne Group this Saturday (this is the race where Capeland jumped the wings of the fence a few years back allowing Diego du Charmil to score, Amoola Gold has been first past the post the last two years).
The Magic Saint/Editor du Grite race run the day before the Paddy Power
Another contest at Ascot usually featuring the same horses as the Byrne. Before Midnight and First Flow have won this and Capeland got his revenge in '19.

Anyway, I like Amoola Gold again. He's three pounds lower than last year and is 10lbs better off with Before Midnight for a short head in the race above. He actually went up to 152 after that but has come down to 143 as he was faced with unsuitable tasks afterwards (Shishkin and left handed over 2m4....he actually ran ok in the Classic Chase at Warwick.) Back to his favourite track and two miles I think he's value at 11/2.

Last edited:
Yes, Amoola Gold tops my ratings for the race after getting through the card this evening but, without having checked the betting, it was in my mind that maybe I had stumbled across a potential candidate for the Longshot thread, given his latest form figures of 64384 and Andrews not having ridden a winner for the yard so far this season, so when you quoted it at 11/2 I was pretty deflated. I can wait until Saturday now and I might even look elsewhere.

His Ascot form (in handicaps at least) is so good though. If you look at the opposition, you have the likes of Nassalam and Thyme White in single figures and their jumping/form is so wishy washy.

3.15 Tea Clipper was only beaten a neck the last day and they pulled clear of the rest. He was much better after a wind operation last season and he has some useful handicap hurdle form from two seasons ago. He is getting battle hardened over fences now, has shown he can handle these big field handicaps and looks worth another chance in this at 6s or 7s.

Gumball was double digit prices now into 3/1 fav in a place. I wonder if the owner Terry Warner has backed him. In any event I hope the money turns out to be inspired.

Last edited:
I've taken 10/1 Galopin Des Champs for the King George. I'm not totally convinced Allaho will run. I've no idea if the race is on GDC's schedule. It's just a gut feeling that A won't come over.

I've taken 10/1 Galopin Des Champs for the King George. I'm not totally convinced Allaho will run. I've no idea if the race is on GDC's schedule. It's just a gut feeling that A won't come over.

Galopin des Champs
The Clonmel Oil is a possibility for him but might just come a bit soon, the John Durkan is on the 11th of December, which seems late but maybe we'll aim him there. If he did the Clonmel Oil he might go to Leopardstown at Christmas but if the ground was too fast, which it has been over the last few years, we might go down the Al Boum Photo route to Tramore for the Savills Chase and maybe then go to Cheltenham.

I'm trying to find a race for him around the 1st of December time. I think there's a race at Sandown for him, which we'll look at but I'm just a bit afraid of the ground down the back at Sandown which is always a bit livelier than I'd like. We've run a few horses there over the last few years and they've been fine but I've certainly had my heart in my mouth as they go so fast down the back. We'll see. He's in great form, but a little behind the others. I'd love to get him out in the Clonmel Oil if I could but it will probably come too soon.

At Cheltenham, I don't think the opposition was right on the day. It looked visually to be super [until falling at the last] but it might have looked better than it was. Still, we have an exciting prospect and it's all to play for this year. He looks like a real Gold Cup type. We all think he's going to be better going up in trip over three miles. He'd have to be a huge contender for the Gold Cup.

I hope he’s our Gold Cup horse for the season. He looks the part and is doing everything right at home. He’s a big horse, though he doesn’t look it. That’s what I like about him. He’s tall, but he doesn’t look it as he is so well-proportioned and light on his feet. He had a little setback a couple of weeks ago but is back in good order now. I’d like to start him off in the John Durkan, but it is coming a bit close to Christmas this season. Tramore could be an option for him on New Year's Day.

Last edited:
Back