Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Yeah I will be looking to have something on in the next couple of weeks, especially as Charlie Appleby has identified this as his target.

I think he would have a very good chance if he gets there on the day.

While it's hard to look 5 weeks ahead in terms of the likely field, he's a horse I just wouldn't want to be a layer of assuming he gets there.

I've got a good feeling about him.

Well thought out Marb...as good a case of tipping as I've read on here this year.

Betfair Chase - Royale Pagaille 8/1

I think there's a fair chance the ground will mean APT (2/5f) doesn't come over but if he does he could be vulnerable in very soft going. Is BDM still up to this kind of level, even at his beloved Haydock? Can't see Frodon coming out so soon after landing his serious target at the weekend. That just leaves Protektorat. There maybe isn't much between them but he's only 10/3 so 8/1 about RP looks more than decent.

I think there's a fair chance the ground will mean APT (2/5f) doesn't come over but if he does he could be vulnerable in very soft going. Is BDM still up to this kind of level, even at his beloved Haydock? Can't see Frodon coming out so soon after landing his serious target at the weekend. That just leaves Protektorat. There maybe isn't much between them but he's only 10/3 so 8/1 about RP looks more than decent.

The owner has said he won't run, DO. Coral Cup bound depending on his fitness.

Last edited:

Royale Pagaille will miss his intended reappearance in the Betfair Chase at Haydock.

Venetia Williams’ eight-year-old has a fine record at the track, winning three times, and he fared best of the rest when second to A Plus Tard in the three-mile Grade One in 2021.

He was one of only six entries for this year’s renewal in a race that now appears set to have a maximum of five runners with Royale Pagaille potentially rerouted to the Coral Gold Cup at Newbury on November 26 if conditions are suitable.

Owner Rich Ricci told Racing TV: “He won’t go (to Haydock), he’s had a small little niggle. The Hennesey is still a possibility and if the ground comes up soft I would love to run him, but we just need to make sure he’s all right if not, there are a couple of races at Ascot, but he won’t be in the Betfair.

See if you can find us a few more nonrunners in these big races DO

Appreciate the info but the petty snipe doesn't do you any credit, Maxbet.

I think you cheeky **** would be a more appropriate reply there, DO.

Very diplomatic of you.

It would be good to see Max post a bit more himself, instead of taking tedious swipes at those willing to stick their head above the paraphet.

Deep down, I can't help thinking Maxbet genuinely meant it as banter and I think maybe there's been this kind of 'misunderstanding' before but when someone appears after months of hibernation it's easy to understand why we might be out of tune with each other.

It's the kind of 'banter' I go through on a daily basis with my brothers but when it's once in a month of Sundays it's harder to 'read'.

If the intention was banter then I'm sure Maxbet will accept my reaction was understandable.

Becher chase.

DOMAINE DE L'ISLE 50/1

not certain if it will run or even get in but my opinion is it didnt try today.always just off the leaders and was never asked to close up.imo.
9lb lower than its last winning mark.todays run should put him right for aintree.

Bravemansgame was one of my instant selections. You know the type when you don't need to thing too much you just know the horse is better than the oppostion?

I refer to the Charlie Hall Chase but 5/4 for the King George VI Chase ???:blink: You could have had that price about Kauto Star at this rime of the year for the race.

Howver they have no plans to run Galopin des Champs who would pick Bravesmansgame up and carry him nor is L'Homme Presse heading to Kempton.

The interesting runner that could run well is Protektorat but he would have to get a lot closer to A Plus Tard in the Betfair than he did at Cheltenham

That is perfectly possible on a course like Haydock if you consider how he performed in the flatlike course Aintree.

A lot of it's and buts about the opposition or lack of so opposing Barvesmansgame might be folly.

Last edited:
The Envoi Allen we saw at Down Royal would give BMG something to think about IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now Where Or When is a horse of interest for the Bechers Chase.

Third behind the decent Dusart last season and the second horse, Sounds Russian franked the form nicely first time out this season.

I saw Now Where And When's last win in Ireland and he looks a horse who could be better over further, especially over fences where his overall record is very consistent.

I have seen a lot worse 25/1 shots anti post!

I will also keep an eye on where Sounds Russians goes next.

Last edited:
Not a selection for an ante-post race or owt like that but I notice Edwardstone is entered in the £125k handicap chase at Ascot on Saturday.

I think it would be great for racing if he turned up.

And better if he won.

Galopin Des Champs a big mover in the King George betting market today.

Was 9s now into 3s top price.

I feel either someone has had a very big bet on or something else has been (or is going to be) scratched, probably the former?

I can't see any negative updates about anything else.

Last edited:
Posted on 01 November:

Can't say the news disheartens me...

Willie hasn't totally ruled Galopin Des Champs out, but he also hasn't totally ruled him in.

The fact last years winner from the same stable will be prepared for this race but is available at three times the price seems odd to me.

I'll have to back Tornado Flyer. Otherwise I'd rightly be accused of not putting my money where my mouth is!

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...-seems-unlikely-for-galopin-des-champs/205361

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah fair enough, certainly wasn't questioning your logic at the time you placed the bet.

Just posted the article in case anyone out there hadn't seen it or might want to trade out etc.

Mullins sounded quite cool/sceptical about GDC going to Kempton, when interviewed yesterday.......though it has to be said, he wouldn't tell you the time if he was looking at your watch.

The Rehearsal Chase looks interesting market wise with l'Homme Presse heading it but on an eye-watering rating of 164 I'd like to look elsewhere. The likes of Aye Right and Chantry House don't look well handicapped and whilst Into Overdrive might be he could be one of those gaff track beasts. Caribean Boy is only 3lbs higher than his last winning mark and I thought 12/1 was a bit on the generous side. Jacob is booked so presume this is the plan.

I can't work out what Venetia is doing with Fanion D'Estruval.....

The Newbury two-and-a-half miler on Friday
The Hennessey
The Rehearsal

I'm second-guessing the Newbury Friday race would only be a goer if it's soft enough (and it may not be).
It's not logical to go straight up to 3 and a quarter with top weight in a race like the Hennessey. Is it!!?!
The Rehearsal seems most obvious?

But the others are throwing a spanner....L'Homme, Chambard

Instinct says Chambard can't win the Hennessey aged 10
And L'Homme might be saved and go straight to Kempton without a run?

Any thoughts?

Back