Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Nowwhereorwhen still in The Becher and I'm still sweet on him.

Dusart and Sounds Russian both entered in the Many Clouds Chase.

Dusart 40/1 for the Gold Cup at the minute.

He is literally the only horse I can see at a big price for the Gold Cup who is any value, and after his back surgery during the summer, he could improve to win the Many Clouds and then shorten for the Gold Cup.

I'm obviously not saying he will win the Gold Cup but I think there's some value in the price at 40s and bigger on the exchanges.

Dusart not declared. Ahoy Senor declared though so we will see if he can put that run at Wetherby behind him.

I will be taking him on with Sounds Russian who has done little wrong over fences and could improve enough to win this I reckon.

I have a soft spot for Ruth Jefferson not in the romantic sense but I still remember Waiting Patiently travelling so well in the King George a few years ago before being brought down by a crashing fall from Bristol De Mai. I felt a bit sorry for that stable after that.

They don't seem to have had many real top quality horses since but hopefully Sounds Russian might be one.

That said, even if he wins this I am not sure what might be next. The natural path would be the Gold Cup but it's hard seeing him winning that.

Lets see if he can beat these lot first.

Elsewhere Deise Aba at Sandown is another horse I plan to back. Sandown form figures are 1122 so it's a course he does really well at.

In the Becher, looks like Nowehereorwhen runs although I can't see a jockey booked yet. He can give a good account of himself each way.

I know Euro is sweet on Mr Wolf so good luck to him with that one.

I will be doing an each way patent on Sounds Russian, Deise Aba and Nowwhereorwhen.

Last edited:
Betfair exchange hcap hurdle.dec17th

I see SKYCUTTER is entered 16/1 if it runs.
This I think is the horse I said the jockey never tried(on the flat) and it was said he put his shoulder out.
Last hurdles run was the Fred Winter.
Has left P.Kirby and gone to DAN SKELTON.

Your inbox is full DO

Last edited:
Like the look of it, Outsider. Just a worry that Skelton has 3 others entered above Skycutter.

Looks set to be a great race if many of these turn up. Tritonic for fun, though would love to see Milton Harris lift the trophy.

Betfair exchange hcap hurdle.dec17th

I see SKYCUTTER is entered 16/1 if it runs.
This I think is the horse I said the jockey never tried(on the flat) and it was said he put his shoulder out.
Last hurdles run was the Fred Winter.
Has left P.Kirby and gone to DAN SKELTON.

Your inbox is full DO

I’ve had a pop at Jonjo’s Anyharminasking (general 25/1) in this.

Big field and stiff track will suit. Needs to tidy-up jumping, and not hang like a fu*cking gate, going right-handed again.

I’ve had a pop at Jonjo’s Anyharminasking (general 25/1) in this.

Big field and stiff track will suit. Needs to tidy-up jumping, and not hang like a fu*cking gate, going right-handed again.

Ditto. He’ll win a big handicap before his mark rules him out of them.

I've been trying to work out the handicap hurdle at Ascot next Saturday.

One piece of form that stands out especially if you can excuse the first two home, (maybe they had really hard races and weren't the same after?), is the Greatwood Hurdle from 2021.

West Cork and Adagio pulled 2 lengths clear of Ordinary Joe, with Camprond in fourth, Tritonic in fifth, Glory and Fortune in sixth, Maries Rock in seventh, Botox Has in eight and Jesse Evans in ninth.

Between those 4th-9th horses you have the future Coral Cup 4th and Punchestown handicap hurdle winner Camprond in there, the future winner of this Ascot race on Saturday in Tritonic, the future winner of last seasons Betfair hurdle or whatever it's called these days, Glory and Fortune.

The seventh home, Maries Rock has won four from five races since, which include two graded mares hurdles, the eight Botox Has has won a valuable long distance handicap this season, and even the ninth home, Jesse Evans was second in a Galway Hurdle.

So as I say, it's worth putting a line through the first two horses home, and the really interesting one is the horse who has hardly raced since called No Ordinary Joe.

You'd have to take it on trust that Henderson can get him spot on for this race, but on his Greatwood hurdle form where he was noted as running very freely, well if he can settle down a bit in his race he looks a possible bet to me at 16s or thereabouts.

Tritonic is also being overlooked a bit in the betting. He won the race last year and is only 2lbs higher. This looks like it could be a hotter race than last seasons though.

I think I might back Ordinary Joe as my main bet and a saver on Tritonic.

Last edited:
The Silver Cup may have an interesting McManus angle.

So there were some good enough reasons for believing Belargus might go well in the Ascot 2m5f Class 2 a few weeks back. It pretty quickly became apparent in that race that there was no real intention to play a part. NG said afterwards they were happy...so there's a good chance they were just using that to line up for a target race.

This might be it.

So, it's interesting to note McManus has 4 entered, one of which is Sporting John. Belargus, ofc. And a couple of others that, on paper, look like they'd be up against it in this race.

I'd suggest that means it might be a questionable idea to take the current 33s on Belargus now...but...if Belargus ends up being the only entry...there's an argument that might signal the intent a little.

Equally, if Belargus goes for an easier race in the near future, it might also pay to take note.

Ascot will struggle to beat the freeze it seems.

So if I want to tie up funds in betting accounts for another ten days I know what to do...

Does anyone give Ascot much chance of racing this Saturday?

I have been trying to look at the forecasts. It just says -1 and -2 all week.

What chance do forumites give Saturday of going ahead?

The forecast has improved from what I can see.

It's gone from a general -2 all week to + 2 from tomorrow to Saturday.

If I have it all wrong feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
I live about 360 miles north of Ascot. The Clerk of the Course is much better placed than me, to assess the likelihood of racing going ahead. Maybe you should email him.

I just said the forecast seems to have improved.

Not sure what your post is supposed to mean.

Last edited:
You asked what "forumites think", and then asked me if I think you have it wrong. I'm in no position to tell you one way or the other. The CoC reports are the best way to understand if racing will go ahead.

FWIW, getting-up to +2C doesn't seem - to me - high enough to get frost out of the ground, but I wouldn't know with any degree of certainty.

Clear now?

Nice and clear, yes.

My post about an improvement in the forecast wasn't intended as a question for you, it was more a general observation on my behalf, although your obviously welcome to reply.

Also, you imply I somehow said or implied racing would go ahead. I didn't, I just said the forecast has improved, and I implied there is slightly more chance of the meeting going ahead then there was yesterday, (unless I have got the forecast wrong).

But anyway, no big deal.

Last edited:
Anyone on here have an account with unibet?
They have prices on plenty long range prospects for the handicaps at the festival.

Just wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences of them?

Back