Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Some markets up for the weekend. I don't see too much of interest yet but the Charge at Sandown has an angle in it. Get Ahead was in front of Marshman in a Group 2 at Chantilly over 5, an easier 5 as well, at the beginning of June and 365 have her double the price of that colt for this and I can't have that. It's a tough race, Annaf in particular is great respected, but Cox's filly is in roaring form this season and 8/1 is too big.

Reckon Auguste Rodin was a piece better than his 2 Derby wins allow,but both were run at a none too searching pace. Those, his Guineas' defeat and his Futurity win all add up to a horse needing a proper test,imo.
Bearing the above in mind, I think the King George will be his next run,and he's a generous 5/2 at the mo.

Some markets up for the weekend. I don't see too much of interest yet but the Charge at Sandown has an angle in it. Get Ahead was in front of Marshman in a Group 2 at Chantilly over 5, an easier 5 as well, at the beginning of June and 365 have her double the price of that colt for this and I can't have that. It's a tough race, Annaf in particular is great respected, but Cox's filly is in roaring form this season and 8/1 is too big.

4lbs swing in the weights with Marshman too which would help. Worth a bit of free credit from the goals giveaway (still running).

Reckon Auguste Rodin was a piece better than his 2 Derby wins allow,but both were run at a none too searching pace. Those, his Guineas' defeat and his Futurity win all add up to a horse needing a proper test,imo.
Bearing the above in mind, I think the King George will be his next run,and he's a generous 5/2 at the mo.

Only worry would be whether the 'lads' want a 10F G1 on his resume which would mean that he could go to the Juddmonte next before the Arc.

Only worry would be whether the 'lads' want a 10F G1 on his resume which would mean that he could go to the Juddmonte next before the Arc.
Doubt the York track & trip would provide enough of a test tbh,Ed.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

Put the cream of the Sandown and Haydock cards together and you've got a card worthy of a big festival.

More positive news for you today:

"I’m not sure what the lads want to do with him now, we have the option of going to the King George but we’ll have to see in a week or 10 days.
"And if he didn’t do that then he would probably have a break and come back for either the Irish Champion Stakes or the Juddmonte International – there is a possibility he could do both."

Saturday, John Smith's Cup - Long Tradition 12/1 - I don't imagine there's any way connections (Godolphin) would have anticipated this one making the cut - I had my eye on it but was sure it wouldn't - but it gets in at #21. I always like Godolphins in the big handicaps because they do target them and this one is 9lbs well in. That really should ensure it goes off favourite at about 5/2 (and I wouldn't be surprised if they got a top claimer on board) but whether punters will realise that or not remains to be seen. There's always the chance that it won't run because they weren't expecting it to make the cut and were targeting it at something else but surely they won't pass up this £103k first prize.

I've done FAYLAQ pound ew 66/1 now 33s needs 3 to come out.
William Pyle claims 7.

I backed it too and it's in!

Max Mayhem, Marie's Diamond, and Kitsune Power are engaged and jocked up elsewhere..

Last edited:
He's in it to win it....

"He's well drawn in stall one and I'd rather be there than out in the car park. I imagine, if we get a decent position, we'll be a player at some stage. The trip might be a wee bit sharp for him, but he travels well in his races."

I wish it was a mile and a half, but then he let us down badly in the November Handicap.

Last edited:
Badri should improve again for the step up to 6F in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood after running well in second place over 5F today at Ascot. He's a progressive type who is still on a workable turf mark I reckon, especially after putting that no show on the all weather behind him. Most importantly he's shown he has a very good turn of foot over six furlongs. I think this race at Goodwood will suit him.

Before that he beat the well touted My Wagyu at Epsom over 6F. Hopefully the handicapper won't raise him too much for his second place today...I am hoping for 2 or 3lbs maximum. He's bumped into a very well handicapped 3 year old filly from the Richard Hannon stable today, but it might end up helping him as he shouldn't get raised as much.

I've no idea of the likely field, but I like an anti post stab in the dark every now and then, so Badri looks like being my next anti post project in the Stewards Cup.

Last edited:
Badri should improve again for the step up to 6F in the Stewards Cup at Goodwood after running well in second place over 5F today at Ascot. He's a progressive type who is still on a workable turf mark I reckon, especially after putting that no show on the all weather behind him. Most importantly he's shown he has a very good turn of foot over six furlongs. I think this race at Goodwood will suit him.

Probably but I've had my first dabble in this market today: Tabdeed 25/1, 5 places. No doubt seven or eight places will be available on the day but I'm happy to get in early on this one. Those with long enough memories will recall that in last year's race I was on both the winner, Commanche Falls (off 103), and this one (100) so it was a very good outcome for me. This time round, Commanche Falls (112) and the third, Regional (then 100, now 109) skip the race, presumably not handicapped to win now, but Tabdeed is down to 96 and will definitely make the cut. Archie Watson is a target trainer and has brobably been gearing the horse towards making up for last year's narrow defeat and Hollie Doyle will probably ride. I can see the horse returning to form big style on the day.

Edit - oh, and that nice bookie Betfair would only allow me a piddling £4 on the horse. I had to put the rest on elsewhere. Jokesville.

Last edited:
Back