Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

I note that Muntadab keeps doing all the donkey work up front over 7F, like he did today, before giving way (usually a furlong out). He might need soft ground these days to be seen at his best, but he is one to watch out for when dropped back in distance to 6F. He holds an Ayr Gold Cup entry. I'd like to see him in that race or even the Silver Cup, it just has to be six furlongs, with a bit of cut in the ground. His strike rate, (wins-to-runs), is about twenty percent. He is a good horse on his day and can find his best form soon.

Last edited:
Cheers. Another one, The Tin Man is still trading at 10s in a place for the Sprint Cup despite being confirmed as on course for the race today. That's too big given his liking for the race and the doubts about the fav after his stalls incident at Ascot.

A great shout that one Euro, that's what this thread is all about. You smashed it, well done.

Last edited:
Cheers. Another one, The Tin Man is still trading at 10s in a place for the Sprint Cup despite being confirmed as on course for the race today. That's too big given his liking for the race and the doubts about the fav after his stalls incident at Ascot.

Shout, Euro!

Liking the look of 20/1 on Marnie James for The Portland. He hasn't done a lot wrong this season, after being gelded at the end of last season. He is a young progressive type, trained by Iain Jardine who I respect. I honestly can't work out why he is a 20/1 chance. I was expecting him to be third or fourth favourite.

Last edited:
Mark's Johnston's pair head the market. Lake Volta ran well the last day. Poets Society won at 20/1 at York.
I guess the question is: How reliable are those two horses? Both in terms of maintaining that high level of form that they showed last time and carrying their respective weights. I'm prepared to take them both on, with AL ERAYG, at 16/1 with Boylesports. This former Qatar-owned horse, scored on his first career start in 2016 over at Maisons Laffitte, when beating the formerly trained Andre Fabre horse Repercussion (rated 101). Al Erayg was then beaten a shortish odds a couple of times in 2017 in France, before leaving F-H Graffards yard for Tim Easterby's (after being gelded). This is his first start for Tim Easterby. He's been off the track for 390 days, but showed he can win first time out in France, and is on an exploitable mark (93). I'll be having more on in terms of stake than I usually would. The horse at the very bottom, Documenting, is probably overpriced. He may run into a place, but Al Erayg, (with the low draw), looks much more appealing.

In Marb we trust :)

Al Erayg must have a great chance tomorrow, (Don 5:10) at 11/2. He ran a stormer at Chester, given he was last out the stalls and was never in a good position. Lake Volta is the danger.

Last edited:
Is this a flat thread or should we set up a jumps alternative for the season ahead?

It started off as Non Cheltenham Festival Related, but I changed the title, so anything goes now, Cheltenham or non Cheltenham, PJ!

I can't wait to see Soloman Grey, from Dan Skelton's yard, out this season, especially for the big handicap hurdles. I wonder will he sneak in off bottom weight in The Greatwood Hurdle for starters.

Last edited:
The St Wilfred looks a good race to have a bet in this year. Eve Johnson Houghton trains an excellent horse called ICE AGE, who won two valuable races, including one in Ireland at the Curragh, off a mark of 91 & 96 last season. This horse has stepped up again this season, now rated 106, winning a couple of decent sprints, and so would carry my money in this race. Like many good horses Ice Age goes on most goings. Ice Age finished third in a little conditions race behind Top Score and a Roger Varian winner the last day, but should do better now stepped up in another big field handicap. 20/1 with Ladbrokes and Corals, quarter the odds, the first four each way.

Runs on sunday at the curragh.forecast price 33/1 and i like a high draw and its drawn 16.(drawn 6 the last time he ran at the curragh).
Al qahwa finished 2nd to it at the curragh and is now 11lb better off.O'meara also has summerghand in it and surprisingly Tudhope isnt down to ride either.both drawn well in 19 and 20.
glenamoy lad went into my notebook after his run in the stewards cup and is drawn 17 but forecast price is 11/2.
Marie Of Lyon is drawn 21 and is 20/1
Dark shot 50/1 is drawn 25 so most of the british runners are all drawn well.
If Ice Age is 33/1 then its certainly worth a bet.

It looks like I've found the horse with the 'interesting' profile potentially for the Cambridgeshire in a fortnight. He was beaten at short odds in some maiden races, but is possibly being laid out for a big handicap. The horse is Hamdan Al Maktoum owned, trained by Owen Burrows, called Mafaaheem, currently priced at 25/1. He's also entered in The Dubai Duty Free at Newbury next Saturday, so I will keep an eye out for which race he is declared for, before emptying what I have left in my betting account on him. As mentioned previously, I have noticed a few of the winners of showcase handicaps from this and last season, (2016/17 & 2017/18), found bags of improvement after being gelded, often after disappointing in maiden races, and having changed trainers. Mafaaheem fits the profile nicely.

Last edited:
Anyone had a look at the Ayr Gold Cup yet?

I like the look of Hey Jonesy at 33s. Think you can put a line through the Sprint Cup where he did too much too soon with Harry Angel. He'll have plenty of weight to carry being rated 107 but I think he can make a splash if dropped back into this prestigious handicap for connections who know how to win it.

I havent yet, though Muntadab could place if dropped in trip for Saturday, (he keeps going out like a lightbulb a furlong from home over 7F). I will take a look at yours in a minute, Dan. There is nothing with backing a couple in these races.

Last edited:
Is this a flat thread or should we set up a jumps alternative for the season ahead?

I had a look at the jump markets earlier and I dunno if it's the paucity of good flat action to study for a couple of weeks or being out of practice but I spent a good 20 minutes pondering whether or not Politologue was a live one for Haydock if the ground wasn't soft enough for the Bristol.

I had a look at the jump markets earlier and I dunno if it's the paucity of good flat action to study for a couple of weeks or being out of practice but I spent a good 20 minutes pondering whether or not Politologue was a live one for Haydock if the ground wasn't soft enough for the Bristol.

Sam Twist on reported on Bristol earlier. Sounded bullish, as you'd expect. Stronger hoss, who knows what he'll do this year, etc etc.

Back