Arc 2010

Did not have a penny on him but still cheered him home past the ones I backed. I'm glad to have seen the real Workforce turn up again, and how nice for Sir Michael to win the race. Finally we see a Derby winner do something else great ..... :)

Fingers crossed we get to see mroe of him next season. Interesting breeding, a lot of Kings Best offspring are a bit wild, he seems so calm. Wonderful dam side though ....

i mean ..how can a horse that keeps in a straight line lose a race?

F&G clearly veered to his left..behind WF..

The aga horse was trying to force his way through, he than switched inside F&G leaving F&G leaning on nothing(kinda like someone leaning against a door that is opened)

Brilliant run from WORKFORCE - crikey, he looks like he's built like CHOISIR on steroids - and excellent piece of riding from Ryan, and no doubt a deep sigh of 'at last!' from the Stoute team. The bumper cars nonsense behind is no surprise in the Arc, which is a regrettably absurd feature of the race. Stews will have a lovely time sorting out at least three contacts which should've been avoidable. Thought that LOPE DE VEGA did well in spite of it not being his trip and also being hampered. The runners-up were highly creditable, too.

Well I suspect there will be plenty of "what did he beat" now which may have some credence but other side of coin is that he could easily be an arc winner who will cointinue improving

PLANTEUR DSQ and in the fine print of the RP Analysis, DUNCAN managed to biff and boff quite a few, inc LOPE DE VEGA, finally finishing a lowly 10th, presumably sulking today. There are already remarks in the RP articles about WORKFORCE not being a top winner from a not-top field, but hell's bells, here's a previous Derby winner taking the Arc! You look at the excellent records of many in that 'not great' field and you really wonder what the journos (presumably all non-owning, non-riding, non-training hacks) want? Cream and strawberries on top?

I have to admit to using the "what did he beat" argument in analysing his form for the Arc but it really is an unsatisfactory question at times. If Sea the Stars had come up in a bad year he never would have been recognised as a true great.

I imagine the race can be fairly rated via Bekhabad who seems to he run his race in 4th but the proximity of Marinous a couple of lengths behind means he's probably a 122/3 animal, not the 130 beast Timefom have him on. I think we can rate the winner around 132/3.

Im not sure that Sea the stars came up in a good year though either. Doesnt detract from him being a genuine great horse of course. The interesting aspect to this is that WF is really one yopu would have to look at immediately for a rare double in this race. He must develop more and of course the Stoute factor is more than significant

They must go for it surely?

Sea the Stars Eclipse win was as good as it gets. It was a good field and he slammed a King George winner out of sight.

He wasn't at his best for the Arc anyway. His class got him through.

Sea The Stars Arc win was amazing from the position he was in 2 out..to say he wasn't at his best isn't right imo

looking at a list of horses and the distances between them in a race afterwards is so misleading sometimes..STS's Arc win was spectacular to watch..he left them for dead between 2 out and 1 out

you making it sound like he was workmanlike..a tired type of win...when it wasn't.

are we not rating todays race through 135 rated F&G then? :lol:

Last edited:
I really think WORKFORCE will act on this ground - but he has the break to overcome..but maybe he has needed that break

Looking at his pedigree from the RP

3rd foal, half-brother to 2m hurdle winner Extreme Impact, and to a 7f winner in Greece; dam unraced sister to Racing Post Trophy & St Leger winner Brian Boru & half-sister to French 12.5f Group 2 winner Moon Search, out of Park Hill winner Eva Luna

all those mentioned won on on very slow ground...it could be the case that we haven't actually seen the best of Workforce and that he has achieved what he has on ground that hasn't played to his strengths..it could also explain his need for recuperation from those efforts..IF he doesn't really relish fast ground then his run in the KG can be forgotten..feeling the effects of the Derby etc.

what price would WF be without that KG run?

I can see a 100% WF winning this with something in hand..if it has been fast ground that has blighted his season...so in a year where nothing at all stands out...he could take this comfy

of course..i could be wrong..but i'll take me chance :)

£100000000000 win WORKFORCE :)

:lol: Well done EC.

Workforce quickened up really well again and was a great winner. Gutted for Fame whose chance was put paid to when angling out to make his move, with Planteur (placed last) almost taking him out of the race. A very rough race this year.

looking at a list of horses and the distances between them in a race afterwards is so misleading sometimes..STS's Arc win was spectacular to watch..he left them for dead between 2 out and 1 out

Thats the key. You just knew he was going to get there.

I take EC's point but the level of form he showed at Sandown was just that bit better for me.

Well done to everyone who backed the winner though, nice bit of loyalty.

I'm going to pocket talk here but the unlucky horse was Behkabad - With a clear run he would have been in the shake up....

He was done no favours coming round the turn..

Last edited:
I take EC's point but the level of form he showed at Sandown was just that bit better for me.

Well done to everyone who backed the winner though, nice bit of loyalty.

i know what you are saying Euro..on paper sandown technically better

as a race to watch..the Arc

I remember the next day at work..a woman who has little interest in racing had seen STS win and was amazed at how he won from where he was..it was impressive even to non racing watchers.

Steve..i hope you not suggesting F&G would have won today are you? :)

thanks anyway..been a good day :cool:

Last edited:
Back