Arse Cup

For all that he admittedly was in a fairly tricky position, I thought Edward O'Grady's interview defending The Real Article yesterday on At The Races was classless, not to mention patronizing and utterly insulting to anyone who follows Irish racing seriously.

Another pathetic performance from David Duggan as well.

Re 'freak' - I realise it's shorthand for 'a freak of nature', but with the current vogue for horror movies, it's hardly complimentary. Yes, I'd like a more complimentary term to be used, like 'unique', for example. Not helped by the RP's absurd front page with inevitable 'Frankelstein' pun, ffs. He's not a monster in character or build. His talent is world-beating, but words like freak and monster don't pay attractive compliments, however in vogue they may be.

Regarding Frankel, he's no freak -
His talents, gents, are just unique.
No doubts, no maybes, and no ifs,
Now that he's mullered Canford Cliffs.
And anything you send him now
He'll make look like a fat moo-cow.
So save the silly words and phrases
And watch a horse who just amazes,
As all who stand in shock and awe
Say, "I've not seen owt like that before!"

That's very good, you should send it to Channel 4.

I have to say, though, I have no problem with the use of the word 'freak' in this context. To be freakishly good at something is definitely a compliment.

Last edited:
Re 'freak' - I realise it's shorthand for 'a freak of nature', but with the current vogue for horror movies, it's hardly complimentary. Yes, I'd like a more complimentary term to be used, like 'unique', for example. Not helped by the RP's absurd front page with inevitable 'Frankelstein' pun, ffs. He's not a monster in character or build. His talent is world-beating, but words like freak and monster don't pay attractive compliments, however in vogue they may be.

Regarding Frankel, he's no freak -
His talents, gents, are just unique.
No doubts, no maybes, and no ifs,
Now that he's mullered Canford Cliffs.
And anything you send him now
He'll make look like a fat moo-cow.
So save the silly words and phrases
And watch a horse who just amazes,
As all who stand in shock and awe
Say, "I've not seen owt like that before!"

Majestic kri :lol:

Did you realise that if you knock the F for "freak" off (and the N), his name contains the same letters as ARKLE (...I suppose that's not too amazing though).

How do you pronounce it, Stampo? As in "diesel do" or "dice"? Is it considered derogatory or could I say it and not have my hat knocked off?

Crikey, that's a brutal punishment, Martin - but if she's lost interest, she should get out of commercial riding as it's not a result just for yourself, like showjumping. You're letting down an awful lot of other people, including those who've paid you for your ride, good or bad.

Will someone please give olde Dessie Scahill a spanking from me, please? It's SO BILLIANT, you daft old bugger, not SO BRILLIANT!

And it's also SUPER COLLIDER, as in the Great Hadron Collider, not SUPER COLLYDOR as he pronounced earlier this week.

It's not really the right thread for this, but what matter.

I was amused by the line from Jim McGrath just now at Windsor: "And One Lucky Lady gets a touch of the whip".

Oh, God help me, it's Dronin' Dessie again, just now with 'Betrotted'. Oh, no, it's not! It's BETROTHED, you daft old haddock.

Last edited:
Why do RUK continue to torture us with Peter Naughton ? His interview with Tom Dascombe was appallingly inarticulate.

The Racing Post Spotlight comments are usually quite helpful, but it is said of one of the runners in the beginners chase at Down Royal today that it "lacks chase experience".

Olivier Peslier - for God's sake! You get your champion mare boxed in and then you risk bringing her down and certainly the horse behind you by panicking in the straight and dodgemming your way out. So, so lucky not to have embarrassed the beautiful GOLDIKOVA in her last ever run by getting her placed last, you lunatic.

Back