Ascot Saturday..

13 runners in the Long Walk including Unowhatimeanharry, Zarkandar, Ballyoptic and Un Temps Pour Tout.

Campeador and Chtibello NOT CONFIRMED in the handicap hurdle

Last edited:
Sorry DG - Was replying to post about my bets - not the 2 big guns missing from the hurdle. Apologies for confusion.

Looks like she might go after all, granger:

The latter would be having her first start for Nicky Henderson since being bought by JP McManus from France.
Henderson told At The Races: "She's good and will do a bit of work tomorrow. There's been a lot of umming and ahhing whether it's hurdles or fences, but we're thinking hurdles at the moment.
"She's in good form. Barry (Geraghty) will probably have a sit on her and we'll decide what to do.
"She's actually jumped fences very well, it's just which way to go."
Kotkikova is rated a 16/1 chance with Sky Bet who make Unowhatimeanharry their 5/4 favourite from Ballyoptic and Lil Rockerfeller at 6/1.

The market behind Harry is all over the place. Zarkandar (who should be 50s) ranges from 7s to 20s and Reve (who should be 100s) is as short as 12s.

Kot... is 25s at Corals. Tempting.

Still trying to suss out the handicap hurdle. Meet The Legend catching my eye a bit now. He goes well from a break, you'd think he'll will have improved a fair bit over the summer, still only a five year old, and 138 allows him to run with next-to-no weight.

Any of the anoraks on here fancy him?

Le Rocher if he runs, Modus if not.

If you watch the Greatwood Modus was taken to the outside before the last and went even wider after that flight (in part because of another horse)
The ground lost probably cost him the race. Also, Solumn Grundy had a similar passage in the other handicap on the card and he won next time out.

Meet The Legend is the other that stood out to me as potentially very well handicapped. Was being aimed at the Greatwood but had a setback the week before. Yard know how to target these big 2m hurdle pots and you'd imagine the way he races that a strongly-run race at this trip will bring out the best in him. Yard also had Ch'tbello in here but have taken him out to wait for the Christmas Hurdle.

If you watch the Greatwood Modus was taken to the outside before the last and went even wider after that flight (in part because of another horse)
The ground lost probably cost him the race. Also, Solumn Grundy had a similar passage in the other handicap on the card and he won next time out.
Good luck with him. Looking like my few bob will be on Meet The Legend though, David's above remarks fit nicely with my viewpoint on him.

Really fancy Wolf of Windlesham in the Hcap hurdle. Has already won off his current mark & was travelling well when falling last time out prior to his recent spin on the flat. The 20/1 available looks generous IMO.

Yard also had Ch'tbello in here but have taken him out to wait for the Christmas Hurdle.
If Ch'tibelllo goes to Kempton, does he have a squeak? He has at least a stone to find on ratings to get near Faugheen, The New One, and Yanworth.

I reckon he'll find some of those pounds as I reckon he's clearly a lot better than 145, but admittedly its still a very tall order.

Last edited:
Really fancy Wolf of Windlesham in the Hcap hurdle. Has already won off his current mark & was travelling well when falling last time out prior to his recent spin on the flat. The 20/1 available looks generous IMO.

Oh the Wolf. A good horse for sure but I'd be amazed if he is in this league (at this stage on his career esp after falling at full pelt in the Greatwood). Best of luck though!

Last edited:
The Yanworth question I should have clarified but I was in a hurry to get out and on with stuff.

I meant what if Yanworth had been declared and not Harry.

Would Yanworth be favourite?

How many of you would fancy him?

I ask because the obvious conclusion to take from comments made by Alan King in his Weekender column recently was that Harry is considered some way superior to Yanworth.

As you know, we'd pencilled Yanworth in for the Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot next weekend after his win in the Coral Hurdle there last month.

But Unowhatimeanharry has since bolted up in the Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury for JP McManus and he looks an obvious candidate for the World Hurdle.

So we're set to go down the Champion Hurdle route with Yanworth...

Last edited:
Any thoughts on Alex de Larredya in the Long Walk? Am always interested when a Frenchie comes over because of the level of prize money available over there

Back