Ballydoyle 2 Year Olds 2009

More than twenty of us have made a selection and no one picked either last night Tyros Stakes winner Cape Blanco, or the Railway Stakes winner Alfred Noble.

Interesting couple of newcomers (on paper) this weekend with Mikhael Glinka running in a mile maiden at Galway shortly while Henrythenavigators full brother runs at Cork tomorrow - Benvenuto.

Purple Heart running Monday at Naas.

A full brother to Listen. Interesting that he is entered in races like the Middle Park and Gimcrack over six furlongs. Unusual for a son of Sadler's Wells.

Benvenuto looked to have a touch of the slows but will probably come on a lot for the run.

Indeed...looks a much lengthier type than his more compact full brother Henrythenavigator. But these full brothers/sisters rarely if ever match up to expectations.

Joshua Tree out tomorrow at Gowran Park. If the Magniers are U2 fans this is surely their best to date....:D

Ballydoyle run three in the listed race at Tipperary on Sunday including the unraced colt Utrillo. He is by Champion Australian sire Encosta De Lago...has he had many Irish/British runners so far? Surprised they have not tried him sooner given his success downunder.

Benvenuto much improved tonight but he still has a long way to go.
Purple Heart should be renamed Faint Heart.
Eyecatching debut from You'llBe Mine tonight.Wouldn't surprise me if her next race is a Group race.Could be favourite for the Oaks by the end of the season-despite stamina doubts.

I have backed Queen Of Troy next at Dundalk. I thought she showed plenty of ability despite being well beat on her debut...should be all the better for that and the surface should suit.

Benvenuto looks average enough, seemed to fall in a hole in the last half furlong while Luke rightly mentions the promise shown by Youllbemine but I would be a bit wary of her as I thought she showed a bit of her dam's attitude when Murtagh really went for her.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how St Nicholas Abbey gets on tomorrow in the mile maiden....there have been promising reports about this one.

Last edited:
Have to be impressed with the way he picked up Saajida (who looked a decent sort on debut at Gowran) without Murtagh having to get really serious.

Will be interesting to see whether he is dropped in trip after this or kept for something like the Beresford.

Yeah I liked the performance too but the third and fourth don't look like they are up to much more than winning very ordinary maidens. He couldn't have done it much better though.

Benvenuto much improved tonight but he still has a long way to go.
Purple Heart should be renamed Faint Heart.
Eyecatching debut from You'llBe Mine tonight.Wouldn't surprise me if her next race is a Group race.Could be favourite for the Oaks by the end of the season-despite stamina doubts.

You'll be mine runs in the first tomorrow-it could be a long day if she gets beaten.

I thought it was a solid performance-after the race I stopped John Magnier and asked him what he thought-he said "she looked in trouble but did it well in the end".I asked him could she be a group horse and he said hopefully.

Thought the same turning in, Luke, but I was very impressed with the way she picked up once she got into gear.

Remain unconvinced by Dynasty after yesterday - looks to have inherited some of his dam's more undesirable traits as well as some of her considerable ability.

Back