Bloodstock 2011

I take it its the coloured bit that made you comment on my (not totally tongue in cheek) post rather than the price he made??

Indeed - I added the price because I can just see the stud card now "he sold for 11,000 Guineas as a yearling at Tattersalls!" As if that and a few unusual splodges justifies keeping him entire at £300 a pop. Sigh.

Was your friend's stallion Stetsen, by any chance?

:D thank ferk for that - was hoping we were on the same page about it.... I was dreading having to tell you about my friends horse (By Storm Cat, placed in Dubai, cost £250k as a yearling she got him for free) amongst all the others that cost way more and are now pets - but i dont have to!!
I love stud cards - so many (lower level ones!) are like for sale adverts, they say SO much with what they dont say.... ;)

and no - he was called The Lad ( I think that was his registered name - was a LOONG time ago now, havent seen Paula for years so was probably taking liberties with calling her a friend!!) and he ended up in Scotland with Ian Stark (or he used him on a mare(obviously) then took him up there) would have been one of the first weatherbys registered over here I should think, was when I first started at the vets, so 16 years or so ago.... I wouldnt have it at all that it could be TB - chestnut and white he was, and he was lovely, but not to produce racehorses, but no - she had all the stuff from weatherbys to be able to stand him as a TB ! (though probably only for the NTR or something maybe)

Last edited:
Definitely on the same page - I'm very cynical about the claims of stallion owners, both TB and otherwise. I know what you mean about stud cards, it's like reading references for job applicants from their past employers (before references went all standardised and non-committal) and trying to work out what they aren't saying.

I haven't come across The Lad, and I'm a bit of a sad pedigree bore (sport horses as well as racehorses) so maybe ending up in Scotland limited his appeal to mare owners.

Your friend's Storm Cat horse sounds lovely. I used to be in touch with a girl who got a really nice horse for free through Darley's re-homing scheme. Annoyingly I now can't remember what he was called, but he was quite a flashy chestnut who I think had either been a winner or at least placed at Group level. She was having some success at Prelim dressage with him at the point I lost touch with her.

Hes gorgeous - hes 12 now, and she is having loads of fun with him - he has turned his hoof to showing, team chasing (when she was feeling brave !!) and hunter trialluing as well as hacking with her (and sometimes with her beginner ex) and having fun - he even had a crack at gymkhana games the first year she had him - people just dont realise that at the end of the day they are horses who enjoy fun stuff just as much as their owners!! (he gives her plenty of grief at shows if he doesnt feel like playing that day though - I think his antics at Derby County were quite memorable this year!)

I'll try and remember Paulas surname and see if I cant remember/find anything else out about Lad - bnt I think you have hit the nail on the head - Scotland cant be the most accessible for people to get to !! (it was before colourds really took off as a fashion statement too - so that wont have helped)

Get your wallet ready:

A SEA The Stars filly out of the Jim Bolger-trained Anglo-Irish 1,000 Guineas winner Finsceal Beo promises to be a star attraction of the Goffs November Sale on November 15 - 17.
Goffs have catalogued 757 foals for the sale, an increase of nine per cent from last year when 400 of those who made it to the ring were sold for a total of €10,139,400 and average of €25,438.

The November Sale will mark the first opportunity in Europe for buyers to secure a foal from the first crop of champion Sea The Stars. The filly out of Finsceal Beo, who will be consigned by Al-Eile Stud and is the second foal out of her dam following a colt by Galileo, is one of six catalogued to the sale by her sire and is joined by a half-brother to Irish Derby winner Soldier Of Fortune and a half-sister to the 1,000 Guineas-placed pair Cuis Ghaire and Gile Na Greine.

There are anumber of well bred colts on offer, including a son of Pivotal consigned by Mount Coote Stud, he is out of the stakes winning and Group 1 placed Musicanna. Ballintougher Stud offer a colt foal by Tamayuz out of the Group 1 Moyglare Stud Stakes winner Miss Beatrix, who was responsible for last year's sale topper, a son of Galileo. Also catalogued is a Holy Roman Emperor colt out of Irish 1000 Guineas and Moyglare Stud Stakes winner Tarascon (Lot 713). He is an own brother to the juvenile Stakes winner High Award.

One of the most sought after fillies will surely be a daughter of Mastercraftsman, who is a half-sister to the Group 2 Railway Stakes winner Lilbourne Lad from Swordlestown Little. The Mount Stud present a Verglas filly (Lot 747) who is an own sister to Hold Your Colour, a Listed winner at Two. Rockfield Stud consign a Teofilo half-sister to the Group 2 Doncaster Cup winner Saddler's Rock (Lot 591).

Commenting on the catalogue, Goffs Chief Executive Henry Beeby said: "We have targeted the best bred foals in Ireland and believe our "Focus is the Horse" ethos is evident throughout what we believe is an exceptional catalogue. This sale is dominated by the pinhooker and they have enjoyed success at every level at the market with November Foal purchases in recent years, however the quality of the pedigrees and individuals on offer should also have huge appeal for racehorse owners. The success of horses purchased at this sale speaks for itself."

From the Racing Post site.

If you hear of any retirements to stud or stallion location changes I would be interested to hear them. What have we got so far ?

Canford to Coolmore
Dream ahead to Ballylinch
Indian haven moves to Withyslade farm, UK.
Cape Blanco to the U.S
Lilbourne lad to Rathbarry

Get your wallet ready:

A SEA The Stars filly out of the Jim Bolger-trained Anglo-Irish 1,000 Guineas winner Finsceal Beo promises to be a star attraction of the Goffs November Sale on November 15 - 17.
Goffs have catalogued 757 foals for the sale, an increase of nine per cent from last year when 400 of those who made it to the ring were sold for a total of €10,139,400 and average of €25,438.

The November Sale will mark the first opportunity in Europe for buyers to secure a foal from the first crop of champion Sea The Stars. The filly out of Finsceal Beo, who will be consigned by Al-Eile Stud and is the second foal out of her dam following a colt by Galileo, is one of six catalogued to the sale by her sire and is joined by a half-brother to Irish Derby winner Soldier Of Fortune and a half-sister to the 1,000 Guineas-placed pair Cuis Ghaire and Gile Na Greine.

There are anumber of well bred colts on offer, including a son of Pivotal consigned by Mount Coote Stud, he is out of the stakes winning and Group 1 placed Musicanna. Ballintougher Stud offer a colt foal by Tamayuz out of the Group 1 Moyglare Stud Stakes winner Miss Beatrix, who was responsible for last year's sale topper, a son of Galileo. Also catalogued is a Holy Roman Emperor colt out of Irish 1000 Guineas and Moyglare Stud Stakes winner Tarascon (Lot 713). He is an own brother to the juvenile Stakes winner High Award.

One of the most sought after fillies will surely be a daughter of Mastercraftsman, who is a half-sister to the Group 2 Railway Stakes winner Lilbourne Lad from Swordlestown Little. The Mount Stud present a Verglas filly (Lot 747) who is an own sister to Hold Your Colour, a Listed winner at Two. Rockfield Stud consign a Teofilo half-sister to the Group 2 Doncaster Cup winner Saddler's Rock (Lot 591).

Commenting on the catalogue, Goffs Chief Executive Henry Beeby said: "We have targeted the best bred foals in Ireland and believe our "Focus is the Horse" ethos is evident throughout what we believe is an exceptional catalogue. This sale is dominated by the pinhooker and they have enjoyed success at every level at the market with November Foal purchases in recent years, however the quality of the pedigrees and individuals on offer should also have huge appeal for racehorse owners. The success of horses purchased at this sale speaks for itself."

From the Racing Post site.

Anyone care to put a price on the Finsceal Beo offspring?

If you hear of any retirements to stud or stallion location changes I would be interested to hear them. What have we got so far ?

Canford to Coolmore
Dream ahead to Ballylinch
Indian haven moves to Withyslade farm, UK.
Cape Blanco to the U.S
Lilbourne lad to Rathbarry

Lohnro shuttling to USA

Darley sending Jalil (Storm Cat) and Sousa (Galileo) Lisui Farm in China.

No info on her first foal Del; if she was by Galileo, given the way his Fillies are selling you would be looking at a big number if she was well made. Three of Finsceal Beo's siblings are black type performers so its in the family to produce good ones and obviously she was a bit special in her classic season. I'd say 500k + but i'm sure someone like Miesque would have more of a feel for the market.

No info on her first foal Del; if she was by Galileo, given the way his Fillies are selling you would be looking at a big number if she was well made. Three of Finsceal Beo's siblings are black type performers so its in the family to produce good ones and obviously she was a bit special in her classic season. I'd say 500k + but i'm sure someone like Miesque would have more of a feel for the market.

Trying to get hold of video/photos to give a fair assessment.

-------------------------------

Add Dream Ahead to Ballylinch's roster for 2012

--------------------------------

And one for On The Bridle - Banimpire sells at Goffs too.

The ultra tough and consistent Banimpire (Lot 942) won the Group 2 Ribblesdale Stakes at Royal Ascot and the Group 2 Royal Whip Stakes at the Curragh this season, and was placed in the Group 1 Irish Oaks and the Group 1 Prix de l’Opera at Longchamp. The Glebe House Stables offering hails from the family of Prix de l’Arc winners Detroit and Carnegie and is amongst a strong draft of 13 from the vendor.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see Banimpire catalogued. Even someone as successful as Mr Bolger has to sell to keep the wheels oiled. She would have struck me as being the perfect addition to his broodmare barn. There are three lotteries before the sale so stay lucky Talking Horses!

Acclamation did very well at the sales and he isn't getting any younger.
He's only 12, poor chap!

Grey is right, I feel.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Lilbourne Lad, but he seems very much a "made" 2-y-o, and most unlikely to make normal progress from 2 to 3, never mind improve.

Winner of an extremely feeble Group 2 race in a year where the 2-y-os appear to be of a dismal standard, he'd certainly be up against it as a 3-y-o next year.

Scratching around in Group 3/Listed class and getting regularly thumped by the usual suspects in these sorts of races wouldn't do much for his stallion value.

Sad, irrational even, but true.

For future reference, small sound TBs with any vague semblance of brain are something I'll take on as polo ponies - we'll usually match the kg price.

Dissappointed I didnt know this a month back, would have been a contender.

Back