Bloodstock News 2010

Ah, that's where they're selling him - noted he wasn't in Tatts or Donny. We sold him for 28K at Tatts last November - very good looking foal indeed - I hopw they make some money on him but I wouldn't want to be selling him now.

SONGSHEET'S COMPTON PLACE goes in Book II Tatts in October - or rather, we hope he sells there. I'm always amazed any yearling ever gets to the sales. So far, so good but he doesn't start prep proper till have Donny St Leger and then we just have to hope he stays safe and well.

Last edited:
I'm starting to get worried there'll be room for him - Thorman and David Powell of Catridge have come up with a sweetener that if you buy a yearling from them for £20K plus at St Leger, they'll keep it until November 1st.... I have a nasty feeling even I will be rung up to be asked to keep a few yearling fillies at this rate.....:lol:

Sadly, they'll be out of luck as we're calving down a rather large batch of recipients and all my stables will be comandeered for a week or two with new mums and their calves.....

Interesting that the average is holding so steady, although at £20 - £30K, some of those yearlings are barely making a profit, although I guess a fair few would be OK. At least they are selling, as the clearance rate appears to be extremely good.

Looks like the market's held up well - it's just not the really high priced sales that have featured this time.

I see Harry Findlay's been buying - in partnership with the Sangster team, apparently!

Really ? I would have had money on Rathbarry wanting him but maybe with Liam Cashman's recent death, that wasn't a financial possibility for them. Pity, as it would have been fitting for the horse to stand there.

What sort of fee would they be looking at for Canford Cliffs do we think?

As much as it is a disservice to the horse's ability, is he that much more exciting of a stallion prospect than the likes of Excellent Art?

An excellent move by Coolmore. Rathbarry’s Tagula has a good record as a sire of 2yos. With Canford Cliffs he has shown he is capable of siring exceptional 3yos also. Tagula is Taufan’s best son and Canford is Tagula’s best son to date (good alternative to Coolmore’s existing stallions).
Assuming the deal is done Coolmore has done well in securing him. Hopefully he would stay with Hannon next season, but perhaps not.

So is this a policy change by Coolmore. Why CC ? Is it because this chap is not of the northern dancer line. What is their angle with this fella ? I suppose there is n't any competition if they decide to propagate this line as it's unlikely Tagula will produce another like him at this stage of his career.

Nice for you Irish boys Coolmore has nabbed him but I had hoped he'd stand in the UK - good, tough pedigree. Am still surprised Rathbarry didn't buy him - is the farm looking set to continue or does Liam's death mean their future is uncertain ?

So is this a policy change by Coolmore. Why CC ? Is it because this chap is not of the northern dancer line. What is their angle with this fella ? I suppose there is n't any competition if they decide to propagate this line as it's unlikely Tagula will produce another like him at this stage of his career.

Like I say Tagula is the best son of Taufan and Canford Cliffs is the best son of Tagula to date. Canford is not Northern Dancer free but nevertheless a great alternative option. Why wouldn't they be interested? They can sew up the market with him.

Last edited:
Nice for you Irish boys Coolmore has nabbed him but I had hoped he'd stand in the UK - good, tough pedigree. Am still surprised Rathbarry didn't buy him - is the farm looking set to continue or does Liam's death mean their future is uncertain ?

Hannon wanted a deal whereby he would race as a 4yo. Coolmore appears to have been accomodating.

Can't see why that might have been a problem to Rathbarry, although it would to a couple of the studs here that may have been bidding on him, as they would have needed a 2011 season start.

Hannon wanted a deal whereby he would race as a 4yo. Coolmore appears to have been accomodating.
Interesting stuff - if the current owners are racing him until the end of 2011 after which he retires to Coolmore could we see him being campaigned more aggressively as a 4yo (ie. raced more often, dropped back in trip or stepped up amongst other options)?

Martin

Back