Bloodstock News 2010

Interesting stuff - if the current owners are racing him until the end of 2011 after which he retires to Coolmore could we see him being campaigned more aggressively as a 4yo (ie. raced more often, dropped back in trip or stepped up amongst other options)?

Martin

Don't know about more often... they haven't exactly been shy with him.

I don't know if they will be tempted to step him up... he's always looked a miler to me.

It would be interesting to know the ins and outs of the deal - as in will Coolmore have any influence on his targets for next year etc.

Like I say Tagula is the best son of Taufan and Canford Cliffs is the best son of Tagula to date. Canford is not Northern Dancer free but nevertheless a great alternative option. Why wouldn't they be interested? They can sew up the market with him.

It's a very significant departure from the bloodline they have used. Why change now. There have been other non ND line top milers over the years that they have not tried to purchase. I think there's more to it than just deciding that 'he's a top horse we'll have him' .

It's a very significant departure from the bloodline they have used. Why change now. There have been other non ND line top milers over the years that they have not tried to purchase. I think there's more to it than just deciding that 'he's a top horse we'll have him' .

He's not non-Northern Dancer though. He's inbred to Northern Dancer on his dam's side (4x5).

Don't know about more often... they haven't exactly been shy with him.

I don't know if they will be tempted to step him up... he's always looked a miler to me.
I remember talk after Daylami had run in the Arc that if Godolphin had owned the horse outright at the time and he was retiring to Dalham Hall or one of the other Darley Studs that they wouldn't have risked him on such testing ground (he was leased from the Aga Khan after his 3yo season IIRC).

As others have said it would be interesting to see the ins and outs of the deal.

Other than using their own as stallions, their choice of potential stallions has surely become a little more limited since the Dubai bust up. Juddmonte don't have anything to offer them, they obviously weren't interested in HARBINGER for some reason, so there isn't an awful lot else about with a high enough profile, I suppose!

Looks like MAFKI may be standing in England! Redvers handling the deal, so I guess Tweenhills will be the destination if it goes through. Having lost ISHIGURU, LUCKY STORY and TRADE FAIR, I know he's been pretty desperate to get at least one and preferably two decent replacement stallions for next season.

With his heavy concentration of Northern Dancer, he might well do better as an outcross for all the Sunday Silence blood knocking around in Japan than staying in the UK or Ireland.

But I can't say I really fancy his chances as a sire anyway.

Well, you never can tell, but it's always odds against, even for a horse with such fine qualities as Canford Cliffs possesses.

There's not much in his pedigree to excite, although Tagula is a better sire than he's given credit for - he's just never been fashionable and hasn't had many high quality mares during his time at stud.

Canford Cliffs himself is an outcross, the produce of a mare with a typical modern pedigree heavily laced with Phalaris line animals - Northern Dancer appears twice - with a stallion relatively free of that great progenitor. This a racing pedigree rather than a stallion's.

I don't see anything which points to a particularly successful career at stud.

I reckon the Japs done their doe......would have had a better chance with Canford and I'd rather Tagula than Canford.

Last edited:
Just want to put in a word for TAGULA with BEAVER PATROL appearing for his first time at Brighton yesterday and, aged 8, and of course down to Class 5 from his previous exalted levels, winning pleasingly. His owner had decided to retire him after the run, as with his record he owes him nothing, but has now re-thought things and will let old Beaver decide when it's time. I'd never seen Beaver in the flesh before, only on tv, so it was a pleasure to see what a very strong, well-made animal with the proverbial cook's backside he is. I gave him two rolls of Polo and several pats for his efforts - loved the horse since I first saw him, and it's great to see them even when aged still happy enough to put it in. Surprising to remember he came third to PACO BOY!

Ven - for the ignorant, like me - what would you say were the main differences between a 'racing pedigree' and a 'stallion's pedigree'?

Last edited:
if the horse were mine, I would make sure he runs in the Japan Cup, before offering him to any Japanese stud willing to get it. The horse is tailor-made for Japanese breeding industry.

I can´t say I am surprised about Harbinger´s sale to Japan.

Good call, why is he so well suited to Japan ?
Read my post, above.

Kri, what I was meaning was that outcrosses like Canford Cliffs tend to be less prepotent i.e. homozygous for some desired characteristics, than stallions with a degree of in- or line-breeding.

Of course, the trouble with inbreeding/linebreeding is that you tend to get a reduction in vigour, so the breeder's ideal is a sort of contradiction in a way, namely, a heavily inbred/linebred horse (for prepotency) who is also a top athlete. Examples of such are The Tetrarch, Nearco and Ribot, outstanding in both spheres.

Outcrosses, by contrast, are often great racehorses, but disappointing at stud. When they are successful, Bold Ruler is an example, they are very often the sons of exceptionally prepotent sires (in his case, Nasrullah).

THE first mare to be offered at public auction in foal to six-time Group 1 winning champion Sea The Stars will be catalogued for the Goffs November Breeding Stock Sale.
The mare, Karmifira, won a 1m1f Listed race at three, and was second to Valentine Waltz in the Poule d'Essai des Pouliches. She has produced On Verra, second to Rosanara in the Prix Marcel Boussac last season, and Keladora, twice the Listed-placed as a juvenile.
Karmifira will be consigned by Forenaughts Stud.

Ven - many thanks for the explanation! As you'll know, I like to learn whenever I can, so that when certain phrases are used again, I'll have a weeny clue as to what they mean. Cheers.

A ROYAL APPLAUSE half-sister to Kyllachy set a new record for Doncaster’s second-tier St Leger Festival Yearling Sale tonight when - as the very last lot catalogued - selling for £65,000 to Peter Doyle, acting for Strong Suit’s owner Julie Wood.

Offered by breeder Anne Wright from Wheelersland Stud, the February-born filly was the final foal of her 22-year-old mother Pretty Poppy and she caught the eye of at least a couple of long-term breeders.

That's a lot of cash for a filly out of an old mare.

Back