Bloodstock News 2010

Half sister to KYLLACHY, is she not ? PRETTY POPPY is by SONG, so there's a lot of pure speed in that pedigree. Think she's probably cheap. I know there's the theory foals from older mares aren't as good etc but much of that is suspect in my book. You're going to know very early on if the foal has been compromised because of the mare's age (ie, physically she won't have done the foal as well because of uterine degeneration) but if the foal has grown on well and not shown any physical problems by the time she's a yearling, I honestly don't see what difference it would make.

There's a similar theory to foals from old stallions which again, is an old wive's tale imo - sure a stallion's fertility will decline as he ages and you may find mares not holding to an older stallion because a higher percentage of his sperm is less viable and will be sport problems due to its poor quality which may cause early abortions but if the foal goes full term and has no problems, like the foals of old mares, why the discrimination ?

I don't hold any stock in the old stallion thing myself.

Fair enough if the yearling is standing there in front of you and you can see that physically it has not been compromised by the mares age.
However, generally you do see a mares progeny performance does tend to tail off as she gets older. Something to do with 'vigour' or constitution being passed perhaps. Anyway I'm not saying don't buy, just seems too much to me but than I wasn't there to see her.

Would it cost me more to send a mare to Galileo or Montjeu?

Bull , when I can afford those lads I won't be talking to you lads anymore :)

I don't hold any stock in the old stallion thing myself.

Fair enough if the yearling is standing there in front of you and you can see that physically it has not been compromised by the mares age.
However, generally you do see a mares progeny performance does tend to tail off as she gets older. Something to do with 'vigour' or constitution being passed perhaps. Anyway I'm not saying don't buy, just seems too much to me but than I wasn't there to see her.

Bull , when I can afford those lads I won't be talking to you lads anymore :)

You have a point, though, Sheikh - you would have thought she'd have been in the St Leger or Tatts Book I or II but she obviously does have conformation problems to be in that sale - whether that's to do with PP's age I don't know but I seem to remember her foals don't make mega bucks, so you'd have to think that they are maybe not the best lookers.

How long is a piece of string, Bar ? All depends on the deal you strike with Coolmore - how good was your mare, what has she produced, when do you want to sell the offspring etc etc.

Assuming I was offering the same mare and the same deal details to Coolmore, would they quote me a higher price for Galileo or Montjeu?

I was just wondering?

I think GALILEO is their highest priced stallion, Bar but guess our Galileo would be better able to confirm that one. Dunno what others think but the MONTJEU fillies don't seem to be overly popular compared to those of GALILEO but that's just my impression and not based on hard fact! Sure I will be proved wrong on that one, although I know there have been temperament issues with the MONTJEUs.

I would be pretty certain Galileo is their biggest earner - but Montjeu seems to be limited to smaller books of mares due to fertility/libido problems presumably so guessing getting onto his roster might be more than just flashing the cash.

But as with the rest of you, unfortunately I am not in a position to know for sure!

$4.2m for a 3 parts brother to Zenyatta by AP Indy. Purchased by a new owner and going to Todd Pletcher. (think this may join Frankel on my Christmas wish list!)

The Arabs and Coolmore were very quiet again, though Coolmore were quiet there last year before purchasing big at the European sales.

Kingmambo retired (probably).

From the RP:

KINGMAMBO has probably covered his last mare, due to injury, according to Will Farish, owner of Lane's End Stud, Kentucky, where the stallion stands.
The son of Mr Prospector and Miesque won the Poule d'Essai des Poulains in 1993 along with the St James's Palace Stakes andthe Prix du Moulin in the Niarchos family colours, before a hugely successful stud career.
His runners include El Condor Pasa, Alkaased, Rule Of Law, Virginia Waters, Russian Rhythm, Divine Proportions, and among his stallion sons in Europe and the USA are King's Best, Henrythenavigator, Archipenko and Lemon Drop Kid.
"He has had a terrible neck problem for some time," Farish told the Bloodhorse. "We only bred one mare to him this year, and she didn't get in foal. It's not his fertility; it's his ability to perform. We've tried everything in the world, as you can imagine."
"He's one of the great stallions of all time. What I liked about him originally was that he was a great miler in Europe. He has a phenomenal pedigree and he has lived up to it in every respect. He's sired classic horses, sprinters, and milers."

What do you breeders make of the AI rule in thoroughbreds. Seems a pity that Kimgmambo's days are numbered at stud through lack of wellbeing rather than fertility.

As I understand it the stallion still has to ''cover'' a mare (or dummy mare) in order to obtain a sample for AI so I'm guessing that even if it was allowed in TBs then it wouldn't be a viable option for Kingmambo.

Back