Bloodstock News

Originally posted by Songsheet@Nov 24 2007, 11:20 AM
SOVIET SONG would be the ideal candidate for embryo transfer and it's a shame that this industry can't make exceptions to the rule for mares like her who are top class but have breeding problems.

ET in mares is much more complex that in cattle but it has been done very successfully and it is an areas where the Equine Fertility Unit were already making great progress - sadly now halted.
They should allow A.I., as in other equine breeds. Sorted.

Interesting piece in this weeks Horse and Hound about AI or rather Twink Allen's reasons in favour of it.

Probably more like 50!

His results have most likely been exaggerated because of the fine books of mares he received during his first few seasons. Not exactly a bad sire, but no longer the height of fashion and the quality and quantity of his books will soon reflect this.

AI hasn't proved any sort of problem in the other main racing breeds, i.e. European Trotter, Standardbred and Quarter Horse.

DARLEY BUY NEW APPROACH OUTRIGHT
By PA Sport Staff

Jim Bolger's unbeaten 2000 Guineas and Derby favourite New Approach has been bought outright by Sheikh Mohammed's Darley operation and will run in new colours in his three-year-old season.

The team had already purchased a 50% stake in the Galileo colt earlier in the year, before he went on to win the National Stakes and the Darley-sponsored Dewhurst.

Spokesman John Ferguson said: "I can confirm we have purchased the other 50% of New Approach and Darley now own the horse outright.

"He will run in the colours of Her Royal Highness Princess Haya next year and will be kept in training next year."

Bolger also expressed his satisfaction with the deal and is looking forward to an exciting 2008.

The Coolcullen trainer told the Racing Post: "I'm delighted to have recently concluded the deal with Darley and am very happy to be training him for the coming 12 months.

"The 2000 Guineas is his early season target and these days he's doing light exercise and is out in the paddock with his pony and generally enjoying life.

"We're all looking forward to next year."

I wonder how much of a premium Darley paid for the final 50% versus the initial 50%.

The Dewhurst victory for NA and being Champion 2 year old has probably netted a big bonus for Jim Bolger.

This was Bolger's 50% wasn't it?

The 50% already sold was Seamus Burns' part of the ownership..

Very interesting that Bolger has elected to sell out as well.. could prove very shrewd business IMO..

Has a price been set? Might be a few looking to send their flat mares to him if he's cheap enough. Beautifully bred.

From a commercial point of view, I think they're getting out at the right time. He's flattered by his Group 1 winning status.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Dec 1 2007, 05:12 PM
From a commercial point of view, I think they're getting out at the right time. He's flattered by his Group 1 winning status.
Definately flattered by the win but any G1 winner by Danehill will be attractive as a stallion.

There won't be too many more Danehills heading for stud. Connections will no doubt be hoping to win G1s with DOM and Admiralofthefleet next year.

Admiralofthefleet has been sold. Due to race in Dubai this year and eventually stand in India (along with Marcus Andromicus).

i do get annoyed when horses from yards like aidan o'brien or godolphin get retired at the end of their 3 year old campaign because its all bout the money at stud at the end of the day. it would be great to see them kept in trainin as 4 year olds. i mean if it wasn't for probs at stud, we wouldn't have seen george washington again. i mean seeing dylan thomas run well at 4 it makes u wonder why not more horses are kept in training after 3.
I also say this bout derby winners like Kris Kin and motivator who got retired asell. its all bout the money these days.

There are more horses being kept in training as 4 year olds and plus than ever before. Mountain High himself was a 4 year old....

i have to admit i am a jumps fan but its just good to see regular horses(handicappers) bein kept in training hence why they are favourites with crowds. for example one of my favourite flat horses is Mine coz they keep him in training and always seems to run well, same with quito before he got retired.

Think Kris Kin himself subsequently proved why it would have been a most unwise decision to keep him in training at 4..

There is definitely a trend towards keeping high-class 3yo's in training though..

Denman's sire was a high class flat horse (Derby 3rd, Group 2 winner) who retired at 3.

You don't get to have it both ways :P

Something I was thinking of...

With the introduction of polytrack surfaces etc in the States...what are the chances of some of the main stallions from Coolmore or Darley being shifted over there? The likes of Galileo is clearly well capable of getting winners on a polytrack surface...surely going to open up a whole new market?

Undoubtedly Gal, and I think we shall see a lot more shuttling in the coming years. It makes sense too to widen the gene pool by covering mares from different 'breeding groups' and can only be good for the breed imo

Back