Bloodstock News

When I hear the word "shuttling" I think of European stallions going to Austrailia. That wont be the case here- it will be relocating.

A desperate thought that we could lose some of Europe's top turf stallions for them to go and churn out beasts for muck racing.

Well, it surely won't be as bad as in the 40s and 50s when Europe lost world-class stallions such as Blenheim, Mahmoud, Nasrullah, Royal Charger, Tudor Minstrel, Court Martial, and worst of all, Ribot, to the US.

Originally posted by Galileo@Dec 10 2007, 06:31 PM
When I hear the word "shuttling" I think of European stallions going to Austrailia. That wont be the case here- it will be relocating.
Techically yes that is seasonal shuttling, but I was meaning in the sense of stallions maybe spending eg 3/4 years in a racing jurisdiction and covering a book of mares from a totally different lineage, whcih imo would be a good thing

One of our Elite Ffestinniogs, the filly Oceans Apart, is in the USA for covering btw, she was covered by Giant's Causeway last year just after she stopped racing but didn't get in foal - real shame. Not sure yet which stallion she's going to this time before she comes back here.

Originally posted by Aldaniti@Dec 10 2007, 04:33 PM
High Yield has died aged 10yrs

From RP:

Hold That Tiger will relocate to Haras de la Haie Neuve in Normandy for next season, where he will replace the recently deceased High Yield.

Just to let those who might be interested know, the Racingpost's annual Bloodstock Review magazine is free with the paper tomorrow. Usually is a really good read.

Royal Academy will not shuttle back to Ashford Stud

by Jeff Lowe

Royal Academy, the 1990 Breeders’ Cup Mile (G1) winner and sire of 148 stakes winners, will remain in Australia instead of returning to Ashford Stud in Kentucky for the Northern Hemisphere season.

The 20-year-old Nijinsky II horse out of Crimson Saint, by Crimson Satan, was scheduled to stand for $15,000 at Ashford in 2008. He covered 94 mares at that fee in 2007 and stood for approximately $24,000 for the Southern Hemisphere season at Coolmore Australia.

“It’s just giving him a break; he’s been at it a long time,” Ashford manager Dermot Ryan said. “For a stallion of his age, he’s not in bad health. At the same time, he is of a senior age.”

Ryan said, to his knowledge, Royal Academy would continue to cover mares in Australia in 2008.

Coolmore stood Royal Academy in Ireland and Japan before moving him to Kentucky in 1998. He shuttled to Australia the last six years after two seasons in Brazil, where he was leading sire in 2005 and ’06.

In 14 crops of racing age, Royal Academy has sired 1,045 winners from 1,542 starters who earned $92,197,747 through Thursday.

Royal Academy’s leading runners include 2001 Breeders’ Cup Mile (G1) winner Val Royal (Fr), 1996 and ‘97 Jefferson Smurfit Memorial Irish St. Leger (Ire-G1) winner Oscar Schindler, ’05 Hong Kong Horse of the Year Bullish Luck, Group 1-winning full siblings Ali-Royal and Sleepytime (Ire), and multiple Australian Group 1 winner Bel Esprit

In 2007, Royal Academy ranks seventh on the North American general sire list with $8,040,801 in progeny earnings. Grade 2 winners Molengao (Brz), Oprah Winney and Naughty Rafaela (Brz) and Grade 3 winners Art Master and Danzon are among his top performers this year.

Is there anywhere online where you can view what mares were covered by American stallions in the last covering season? Have access through to the European mares through the Return Of Mares publications but cannot find the American version which I hoped would be on line?

Three Valleys is to stand at Banstead Manor in 2008, where he will join his close relatives, the brothers Dansili and Cacique, as well as Dansili's Arc winner, Rail Link.

An exceptionally fast and precocious 2-y-o, this chunky, close-coupled fellow comes from one of the most successful families of recent years. Setter of three track records, he ran 3rd to another yet product of this family in Lesroidesanimaux. They've put him in at £6000 live foal.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jan 4 2008, 09:37 AM
Expensive bleeder.
Well, yes, he wouldn't be allowed to stand in Germany!

£6000 LF isn't cheap considering his overall record, and he won't appeal to owner-breeders when there are plenty of other stallions around who represent better value.

Having said that, he is extremely well-bred, and his physical type hints at producing well-developed, mature-looking yearlings for the sale ring.

Talking about sprinting sires, I see that Goodricke has been given the heave-ho after just one season where he attracted only 38 mares, feeble support for a first season G1 sprint winner at £4k a pop. Maybe mares fancied his full brother, Pastoral Pursuits, more. He's been leased to stand in Italy.

I heard a rumour - no idea if it's reliable or not - that Goodricke suffered an awkward injury during the covering season which restricted his activities in 2007. That might explain the low tally, and possibly would also have contributed to Proclamation's book of 123. Just a rumour, though, and we all know what the industry's like for those!

Three Valleys is an interesting one for 2008, as is Rail Link - has anyone else been to have a look at Rail Link and if so what did you think?

Like most stallions, he's been a little bit disappointing without being a disaster.

He's only sired 3 black type winners in the 2 years he's had runners.

Just a so-so sire.

Back