Bloodstock News

Sharmadal and Dubawi both going back to their original studs where they started out. Definitely a demotion for Bertolini and King's Best. Darley tend to send the stallions that don't do as well as expected out to France (or Japan!).

Ashford Stud Service Fees 2009 (all in US dollars)

DEHERE Deputy Minister - Sister Dot $ 15,000

FUSAICHI PEGASUS Mr. Prospector - Angel Fever $ 30,000

GIANT’S CAUSEWAY Storm Cat - Mariah’s Storm $125,000

GRAND SLAM Gone West - Bright Candles $ 25,000

HENRYTHENAVIGATOR Kingmambo - Sequoyah $ 65,000

JOHANNESBURG Hennessy - Myth $ 35,000

LION HEART Tale Of The Cat - Satin Sunrise $ 20,000

MAJESTIC WARRIOR A.P. Indy - Dream Supreme $ 20,000

POWERSCOURT Sadler’s Wells - Rainbow Lake $ 7,500

SCAT DADDY Johannesburg - Love Style $ 22,500

TALE OF THE CAT Storm Cat - Yarn $ 30,000

THUNDER GULCH Gulch - Line Of Thunder $ 15,000

VAN NISTELROOY Storm Cat - Halory $ 15,000

Some decent value to be had there. I like both Van Nistelrooy and Lion Heart as stallion prospects (particularly the latter), and they both look reasonable value at $15,000 and $20,000 respectively.

$125,000 for Giant's Causeway is very steep IMO.

Granted he is no Galileo or Montjeu but I think Giants Causeway has had some bad press at stud. He is second in the top stallions list in America (top 5 since he went over there every season?) ahead of the likes of Kingmambo (250,000), Distorted Humour (300,000), A.P Indy (300,000), Awesome Again (150,000) etc this season. His fee of $125,000 is just the advertised price and he is not that expensive relative to other American stallions in his grade.

Lion Heart and Van Nistlerooy has plenty to prove.

He's not a failure by any means, Gal, far from it, but it's all about perception (particularly when considering foal/yearling sales, which would be my prime consideration when selecting a stallion to send a mare to tbh). He is certainly not the only American-based stallion priced steeply, nor is he the worst offender! There will have to be a significant "correction" in stallion prices over the next couple of years on a wide scale IMO.

Van Nistelrooy has plenty to prove alright but I do like him as a prospect (not sure I'd take a chance on him though!), while Lion Heart has made a good start (we've sent three mares to him and all have sold well) and seems to beproving popular on the whole as well.

When does the Coolmore stallion catalogue come out? I was looking through the 2008 edition just this afternoon. Quality. Must cost them a bomb to make, some brilliant pictures in. A wonderful little book.

GC has only 62% runners to foals 35% winners to foals 57% winners to runners average lifetime starts per runner is only 8 average earnings per runner of about $72K are way below his stud fee of $125K.He has 6% stake winners. He was a complete failure down under.he has had some good runners but with the mares he got that might be despite him.

He was some race horse though !!

Last edited:
Royal Academy didn't make the trip back to the States from Australia when their covering season ended, due to his age I think so he's still there as far I'm aware

Indeed Sheikh

Val Royal was probably the best

Oscar Schinder and Bullish Luck in the far east probably next plus a lot of nice horses in the USA.

Royal Academy was always a nice horse for a very low stud fee.

Indeed Sheikh

Val Royal was probably the best

Oscar Schinder and Bullish Luck in the far east probably next plus a lot of nice horses in the USA.

Royal Academy was always a nice horse for a very low stud fee.

I really like the line. He is a very good broodmare sire also. Hopefully Cockney rebel can do the business. Val Royal surely had a great future ahead of him.

What do our experts make of Lawman as a stallion prospect?

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw he was priced at EUR25,000 for this season (dropped to EUR20,000 for the upcoming season). He's by a fairly fashionable sire though, as well as hailing from a seemingly sterling female family (half-sister to a Diane winner in Latice).

That said, I still think EUR20,000 is a touch optimistic in the current economic climate. Anybody else have a view on him?

Stravinsky has a very very nice looking hurdler in the form of Stravinsky Dance - quickened away from her rivals well at Auteuil on Saturday and the form of her previous race was boosted last Friday when the runner-up won at Enghien.

Never thought that Stravinsky would get a top jumper but this girl looks very very nice indeed.

What do our experts make of Lawman as a stallion prospect?

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw he was priced at EUR25,000 for this season (dropped to EUR20,000 for the upcoming season). He's by a fairly fashionable sire though, as well as hailing from a seemingly sterling female family (half-sister to a Diane winner in Latice).

That said, I still think EUR20,000 is a touch optimistic in the current economic climate. Anybody else have a view on him?

Very optimistic, I wonder what he's really standing for. The same stud stands proven Grp 1 stallion, Soviet star for 10K.

Last edited:
Here's the rest of the Ballylinch prices. Soviet star for 8k.

From the Post.

BALLYLINCH Stud's promising young sire Bachelor Duke will stand for €9,000 next season, a slight raise on the €8,000 fee he commanded this season.

King's Theatre and Whipper remain unchanged at €9,000 and €12,000 respectively.

Second season sire Lawman has had his fee reduced to €20,000 from €25,000 while Soviet Star will stand for €8,000, down from €10,000.

Bachelor Duke looks a snip at EUR9,000 compared to Lawman. Been pretty well-received and seems to be getting decent results on the track as well.

I don't think either of them are particularly well priced. Bachelor had 7 winners from 19 runners in his first crop. Luminous eyes was his best rated 105. He'll need a star next year. I'd prefer to stick to the tried and tested as people are less likely to speculate on new sires at the moment.
Soviet star fits the bill.

AD VALOREM​
(Danzig - Classy Women) € 7,000

ANTONIUS PIUS​
(Danzig - Catchascatchcan) € 5,000

AUSSIE RULES​
(Danehill - Last Second) € 8,000

CATCHER IN THE RYE​
(Danehill - Truly A Dream) € 4,000

CHOISIR​
(Danehill Dancer - Great Selection) € 8,000

DANEHILL DANCER​