Breeder's Cup Meeting

Cowboy Cal is probably the best of them and might be the one to make the running. He is tough and improving but really a G2 type of horse.

Cowboy Cal looks pretty decent. He has hit form at the right time. Looked quite convincing to me in his recent Grade 2 win at Santa Anita. Better than an honest plodder I reckon.

Last edited:
Court Vision is another that won a Grade 1 in Keeneland recently. Difficult to know how good it was in terms of form (although Battle Of Hastings was well beaten), but again he looked decent to the eye (as you might expect).

Last edited:
Led to believe that if MCM misses the Classic, his alternative will be the Breeders Cup Mile Dirt.

It's the other way round. Mastercraftsman's preference has been stated for the Dirt Mile, although he has also been entered in the Classic.

I think he struggle to lay up and the short straight on the turf course would be a disaster for him.

I was clearly referring to the turf mile, and you made no mention of the dirt option. I stated the turf mile would not suit - you said it would but sure what does it matter. Guess they want to stand him in the States too.

Last edited:
We'll just leave it at that.I'd say they just want to get a win into him and retire him he would be welcomed on either side of the atlantic but with Thewayyouare retiring to ashford last week i couldn't see them retiring the two of them there

We'll just leave it at that.I'd say they just want to get a win into him and retire him he would be welcomed on either side of the atlantic but with Thewayyouare retiring to ashford last week i couldn't see them retiring the two of them there

I don't see why not. Thewayyouare is a son of Kingmambo and Mastercraftsman is a son of Danehill Dancer.

Yes i no that but its not like them retiring to many stallions all at once.I'd say he will retire to coolmore as danehill dancer had such a good year and lets face it choisir isn't the greatest

Pre-entered fields for all 14 Breeders' Cup World Championships races will be released on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 11 a.m.

Pre-entered fields for all 14 Breeders' Cup World Championships races will be released on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 11 a.m.

I think most of the races are restricted to 14, but the BC Mile (Dirt) just 12. The pecking order is determined by panel and can often be contentious.

Last edited:
Looks like a decent renewal, sad not to see sea the stars there obviously. For me this is the most exciting meeting of the year. A love a rare chance to see the OTT american coverage.

Zenyetta at 6/1 is like Christmas come early.

Viscount Nelson looks a little overpriced at 5s.

Last edited:
Looking at other races ... Fleeting Spirit looks very big at 12/1 for the Sprint. No reason why she shouldn't act on the surface, and although a slightly shorter distance would be ideal, she should be fine on this ground, as opposed to the non-staying effort at Haydock.

Mastercraftman is a place lay for me on the day in the Dirt Mile. He was well over the top at an earlier stage than the Breeders Cup at Longchamp last year, and I have think he's vulnerable.

Beethoven looks interesting in the Juvenile at 10s, and it will be interesting to see which Godolphin horse Frankie chooses - both have a decent each way chance.

Why do you think that? She's comfortably the best sprinter in Europe, and the surface should not pose any problems.

Because European Sprinters are inferior. The surface has levelled the playing field but we don't have the talent.

The reports on Rip Van Winkle are very positive - very confident. I agree MCM has had a hard season and is worth taking on while I much prefer Alfred Nobel over Beethoven between the two.

How will Rip be ridden do you think? It would be very hard to race like he has the last twice over an extra 2 furlongs.

He'll be ridden to make sure he gets first run on Zenyatta I would imagine... Some people seem to think she will cuff Rip but I just cannot see it. She's never really beaten a decent animal.

Zenyatta has never run beyond nine furlongs. She might be lacking if this is a true run race and there is no reason to think it won't be.

Back