Brexit

Brexit, Stay or Leave.

• Stay

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Leave

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
Must be the weakest vote of confidence in any election ever surely in this country,you run an election every week for consecutive weeks you get the same result you run the referendum and probably get a different result every week and probably veering more towards remain,just seems a complete and utter farce as that link suggest.

Well if it reflects what you believe, then I don't see how anyone could possibly question it, you are after all the final word on this aren't you? - what an arrogant attitude. Just read that again

"I don't think the legitimacy of the result should be questioned in any case, because it reflects what I believe"

Just who the **** do you think you are? You're a public servant, paid to serve, you are not the judge and jury in this, and if you seriously base your views around Clive, then god help you

That's just malicious. In any case I won't be serving you for much longer by the looks of things.

As ever being more than disillusioned with the failures of the Eu is simply and childishly tarnished as anti Europe

Funny that it was largely those north of the Watford gap that voted for this isn't it?

4/10 Scots did too. Given rock bottom oil price on two years and little material change to the UK economy then I reckon the vote is nothing like what grass believes. Throw in amother euro crisis and that's that

As ever being more than disillusioned with the failures of the Eu is simply and childishly tarnished as anti Europe

You can't say of the English that they are 'disillusioned' by the EU because they never took to it in the first place.

Still trying to deny that this vote won't bring the house-down on the UK, Clive?

The wish is the father of the thought here. Scotland will start the process of leaving the UK, when Article 50 is invoked. Indeed, that process is effectively already underway - though I'll do you the courtesy of waiting until it has completed, before I say I told you so.

Your 4-out-of-10 point is just a laughable attempt to mangle numbers, to what purpose I don't know. If the inference is that any Indyref2 would be on a knife-edge or otherwise uncertain in its outcome, then it only reaffirms that you a) have questionable command of arithmetic (dangerous in your game, I would have thought), b) know nothing about the Scots pysche and are ignorant of the recent historical context, and c) that you have no capacity to change your mind, based on new evidence or information being presented (absolutely no surprise this one).

The English economy is going to be in the toilet soon enough - it's about time you woke up and realised that. Regardless, even if you manage to stay afloat, it won't prove sufficient a temptation for Scotland to remain tethered to the UK - whether you wish it to be the case or not.

Last edited:
What's difficult to understand about 4/10 voting leave and the near certainty that a good number of remain voters are lukewarm at best? You bang on as if the whole of Scotland is wailing that it's going to have to leave junkers dictatorship. No way.

The economy has been done to death here not one poster has given one scarcely belivable reason why it "will be in the toilet"

What's difficult to understand about 4/10 voting leave and the near certainty that a good number of remain voters are lukewarm at best? You bang on as if the whole of Scotland is wailing that it's going to have to leave junkers dictatorship. No way.

As I said, you are completely ignorant of sentiiment up here.

The economy has been done to death here not one poster has given one scarcely belivable reason why it "will be in the toilet"

Give it a week, and then we'll see. Friday never a good day to judge how a market really feels.

In light of yesterday's total rejection by the EPRS of any possibility of Scotland membership of the EU without a prior Scottish independence status ......................
Could I ask you Grass, are the Scottish fully prepared to take the big leap of voting independence; are they cognisant of the inherent risk? Because if Scotland did vote Independence in a future referendum, then, Scotland will still have to wait years and years before an application to join the EU is approved by Brussels. Such a thing doesn't happen in weeks.

Eventually, when Scottish membership is approved, Scotland will likely have to adopt the Euro and erect border controls with England.
In the meantime, Scotland will be cut adrift from the UK, yet will have no membership of the EU. It will be alone.
Are you all prepared for this?

Of course, just realised a solution right now ..................
England and Wales could hold -- and pass -- a referendum of their own to leave the UK. Then Scotland and N.Ireland could retain membership of the EU assuming the mantle of the U.K., .............. or perhaps as the "NewK". :D

That all sounds like nonsense, ice. The possibility of Scotland leaving an exiting UK in order to stay in the EU is completely different to the scenario of the independence referendum two years ago.

Last edited:
Ice, there are risks in staying in the UK, and there are risks associatd with independence. The risks are magnified for Scotland, if - as you state - EU membership can only be achieved post-Independence.

Are Scots prepared to leave the UK, and accept those risks? I strongly believe that they are. This is based on a variety of factors; principal amongst them the impending exit of the United Kingdom from the EU, and the strength of the last Indy Ref vote. You're suggestion that the English and Welsh cede from the UK hadn't occured to me, and woukd be a wholly acceptable approach. London could be our Gibraltar.

Clive, I'm quite happy to leave you wallowing in your own ignorance, so will say only this.

55% of Scots chose to stay in the Union in 2014. For the large part, they did so, not because of some historical affinity with England, but because the Yes campaign failed to guarantee that an independent Scotland would be an EU member. This same mindset was reflected yet again in the incredibly-strong pro-EU vote in Scotland last week - and that fact doesn't change, just because you choose to put some idiotic, incoherent spin on the numbers, multiplied by your unshakable (and misplaced) faith in your own prejudices.

Oh, I do appreciate, Grey, that the current set of circumstances is different to Indyref 1, but what I am saying is that if Scotland does vote Independence in the near future it will still have to wait many years before an application to join the EU is approved. This cannot be fast-tracked.
What happens in the interim?

6/10 is "incredibly strong" bollocks. It required one voter in ten to switch and then it's even ffs

No spin at all. No one would ever deny that there is always a strong element of relatively neutral who will very towards the status quo.

What is it about this you can't grasp

Shut it, you complete and utter helmet. On Friday you were telling me 52/48 was conclusive. The status-quo no longer applies after Brexit, you fu*cking arsehole!

Ice, can you do me a favour and link the EPRS story - ta.

Last edited:
Are Scots prepared to leave the UK, and accept those risks? I strongly believe that they are.
Does Scotland believe that it would be an economically viable entity without Barnett funding from the UK and without any compensatory support from the EU in the long interregnum between Independence and membership of the EU?

Oh, I do appreciate, Grey, that the current set of circumstances is different to Indyref 1, but what I am saying is that if Scotland does vote Independence in the near future it will still have to wait many years before an application to join the EU is approved. This cannot be fast-tracked.

Is this absolutely the case, Ice? Could an independent Scotland not simply take-up/continue the existing UK membership?

I suspect not, to be perfectly honest - just wondering how black/white it is.

But I don't see why it can't or wouldn't be fast-tracked. There is no reason why it should all take 'many years'. Scotland already applies EU law and implements measures such as the CAP and structural funds. A decision would be required on which currency to adopt, how many seats and votes to allocate in the Parliament and Council, and what the budgetary contribution should be, but much of the operational detail that normally has to be gone through when new Member States apply to join won't apply in Scotland's case.

Could an independent Scotland not simply take-up/continue the existing UK membership?
Not a chance, mate. You know how convoluted these bureaucratic machinations are. (Hell, it will take the UK 2 years minimum just to leave it). :)

1st AUGUST 1961 -- Britain Applies To Join The EEC

1st January 1973 -- Britain Joins The EEC

Back