Buying A Successful Broodmare

Someone on Ch4 was muttering something about the times being very slow today which would fit in with what Colin is saying.

I went to The National Stud today and here are a few of the photos taken.

BASIL
PHOENIXARTSERIESMILESANDLUCKYNEW-8.jpg

THE GORGEOUS PHOENIX REACH
PHOENIXARTSERIESMILESANDLUCKYNEW-6.jpg

A MARE USING ART SERIES' BACK AS A MAKESHIFT PILLOW :rolleyes:
PHOENIXARTSERIESMILESANDLUCKYNEW-5.jpg

PHOENIX

PHOENIXARTSERIESMILESANDLUCKYNEW-2.jpg

BEAUTIFUL BASIL
PHOENIXARTSERIESMILESANDLUCKYNEWMAR.jpg

Too, too adorable! They all look very cosy and dozy, Kathy - I guess it was a nice hot day, and they were enjoying sunbathing. :D

We have the sister to Desert Dew on the stud who just won at Sandown. Last year he was unlucky and everyone thought he needed soft ground as he is by Indian Creek out of a Bering mare, but guess not as he romped home on the ground today. Trainer has told us they think he is Listed at least if not Group material, will be interesting to see where he goes next.

For what it's worth, Desert Dew was by far the standout performer on the clock over the course of the Sandown meeting. Swiftly added him to my horse tracker list!

Lovely pics Kathy, particularly liking the mare in the first pic of the second post (did that make sense?). Not sure which one she is mind :(

The mare with the foal at foot Martin, is Miles. She's (currently) the grumpy one although we are bringing her and Basil closer to home soon, so I hope so TLC results in a change of her current attitude. It could just be her hormones playing her up of course! :D

Gareth, thanks for that. By the way, Crazy has pointed out to me that I more senile than usual and I meant Indian Ridge not Indian Creek. We think Indian Creek is well, somewhere in Ireland. :shy:

Kathy, splendid photos, love the way horses behave in the sun, they relax so much better. :)

Well done to Cat and Bukett - whose 3yo by Silvano, Best of Thurgau, won in Munich yesterday! :clap:

WOW, thanks for that ! Just spoke to the trainer who is a friend, in fact her husband used to ride Bukett work, so relation stems back a long time; she says he is def. her best 3-year-old - whatever that means in Switzerland, but she is one of the biggest trainers over there! - and he has entries in their Derby etc. as well as in the Czech Derby and several Auction-Races here in Germany.

No, no Breeders prizes for me as Best of Thurgau was bred by Fährhof Stud. BUT as we have a Silvano-mare in training, we are happy about the mating, and offspring, from both sides!

Looks as if Bukett booked her 2008 partner herself now: as Silvano is in South Africa and won´t come back, and Bukett´s brother who too is by Silvano just won a 40,000€ semi-Listed-race in France, it will be Lomitas next, touch wood !

Hurrah, hurrah - OCEANICO played it third time lucky and is sif 15 post covering. Early days and it may still all go tits up but the relief that she CAN get i/f is considerable!!

So only old Runny to go!

I still can't see the photo of BEST OF THURGAU - there's still just a tiny red star! Well, that's a relief for you, Julie. Let's hope Annie holds it and all goes well.

Back